3363 replies to this topic

#3346 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

It's actually a very cool game with very good enemy and difficult boss design.

The enemy design may be cool, but the level design blows

That's somewhat true.  Having a smallish castle and dividing the larger part of the game into separated paintings is a little bit lame.  The painting interiors are a little too big and feel repetitive.  However, I don't think the levels themselves are bad, it's just a little less cool that they are separated and that the backgrounds can be a little repetitive.  The paintings feel more like gauntlets than levels.  It still destroys Harmony of Dissonance's level layout however.  At least there are ample teleports whereas HoD had far too few (and were accessible too late in the game leading to a ton of really tedious backtracking).

#3347 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Nothing I enjoy more than having to continue fighting a boss I thought was defeated

This. I just finished DoS and the seal for the Death fight almost ruined the game for me. Whoever mandated that can eat pants

Martha Kent original anti baconator

#3348 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

Hell of an anti-piracy measure, though. Good luck completing those seals on a PC!

#3349 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Hell of an anti-piracy measure, though. Good luck completing those seals on a PC!

With slow-mo modes and save states (which people use to do tool-assisted speed runs), it should be a cinch. Easier than the real deal even.

#3350 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

Ok, what idiot made some quests in Portrait of Ruin impossible to complete if you sell worthless early-game items (such as the long sword which can be found only once and isn't dropped by any monsters)?

#3351 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

This is why I'm too paranoid to ever sell things off unless they are common or I have extras.

#3352 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

The worst thing is that you can't even quit a quest once you've taken it on, and you can only take on five quests.  So I have two worthless uncompleteable quests taking up two of five quest slots.

Here's a list of items you shouldn't sell in Portrait of Ruin in case anyone else is about to play it again.

Spoiler

#3353 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

This is why I'm too paranoid to ever sell things off unless they are common or I have extras.

Do you really want to sell Iron Ring for 1 G?

No <--

Yes

You will control a battletoad

#3354 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

Ok, what idiot made some quests in Portrait of Ruin impossible to complete if you sell worthless early-game items (such as the long sword which can be found only once and isn't dropped by any monsters)?

You've come across one of the many reasons that PoR can eat a dick, in my opinion (except the soundtrack). I'd started hording a lot of items after Dawn of Sorrow required it for soul synthesis, but Portrait took it to an ridiculous level. I can't remember if I ever completed them all or just got to a certain point and gave up.

Spoiler

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3355 universal_justin

universal_justin

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

Just finished The Lecarde Chronicles 2, anybody else tried this fan-made game yet?

It's everything I want from a Castlevania, I'd say it's somewhere between SotN and CV2.  Pretty difficult platforming, but the physics are tight and I never feel cheated.  Everything about it is legit, definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.

https://www.myabando...hronicles-2-bw5

quartercirclejab.bandcamp.com - VGM Cover Band

goodrich.bandcamp.com - Synthwave

#3356 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:00 PM

Just finished The Lecarde Chronicles 2, anybody else tried this fan-made game yet?

It's everything I want from a Castlevania, I'd say it's somewhere between SotN and CV2.  Pretty difficult platforming, but the physics are tight and I never feel cheated.  Everything about it is legit, definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.

https://www.myabando...hronicles-2-bw5

I've known about it for a while and keep forgetting to just jump in and start playing it. Good to hear it's earned some of the praise I've seen given to it.

Here's the site I remember was advertising it while it was still in-development.

http://the-mig-page....nicles-2013.php

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#3357 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

You've come across one of the many reasons that PoR can eat a dick, in my opinion (except the soundtrack). I'd started hording a lot of items after Dawn of Sorrow required it for soul synthesis, but Portrait took it to an ridiculous level. I can't remember if I ever completed them all or just got to a certain point and gave up.

Spoiler

I don't mind not selling stuff... it makes the game a bit harder as there's less money for potions.  I just wish I'd known ahead of time.  On a good note, once I realized it was impossible to complete all of the quests, it shorted my completionist circuits and saved me the trouble of doing all of those mostly pointless quests.  I'll be sure not to sell anything in OoE which I'll be starting soon.

Also a quick comment on sisters mode... man is that poorly balanced (toward being way, way, way too easy).  I didn't encounter any challenge until the last two courses of the den of evil.  Also, I'm surprised they didn't make the face and R buttons duplicate the function of d-pad and L buttons for left handed players.  This mode is very intriguing to me because when I was designing a DS game, I had considered having floating characters very similar to the way the sisters move and attack.  Only my game would have added "symbol parsing" which would allow you to draw symbols to activate several additional weapons or attacks.  I was going to use double taps for directional dashes as well to add some mobility to what is otherwise a lame movement system.  I think the concept really had potential... too bad it wasn't explored more fully.

#3358 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

I tried Luck Mode on sotn but it feels like a pretty normal mode, especially once I have enough magic for Tetra Spirits and Soul Steal. I'll have to try a different challenge.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#3359 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Do a naked run, or else some sort of limited equipment.

I'm trying to remember if naked Alucard is the one I did with zoast and Serena a long time ago. I know Galamoth took forever and it came down to just bat-dashing back and forth repeatedly.

#3360 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

I'm trying naked (nothing equipped) but allowing items and spells and subweapons, is that right?

I looked up how to get past the spike hall with no spike breaker armor, man it's easy
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users