2996 replies to this topic

#31 travis

travis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

it would be a pleasant but weird surprise like the first time jizz ever squirted out of your dick.

Yeah, about once every five minutes, but I'd never know what triggered it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hhLJkpL.png

#32 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

It must really suck not having manuals, kids these days are missing out on some seriously awesome reading if they're just emulating all these classic games.
Posted Image
nfsw

You sir, are a sociopath who gets off of insulting other people. People such as you, regardless of talent or merrit are a blight upon this world and aren't worth a single milligram of oxygen. Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you miserable, insecure, magalomaniacal bottom feeder.

#33 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Also, the blue potion doesn't seem to be very good on Level 1's boss, but I've heard that it pretty much kills the final boss in CV2, so I'll keep this in mind if I ever see a stationary boss in the future. :)

blue potion??

that's holy water, yo!

Thanks for the reminder--yes, that does sound a lot better than "blue potion", and it makes more sense as to why it would burn on impact and as to why it hurts bats and such.

The Shizz sure has been awesome as soon as we stopped talking about
Spoiler
I wouldn't have gotten interested in DKC1 and CV1 all over again if it weren't for the recent threads! :wub:

it would be a pleasant but weird surprise like the first time jizz ever squirted out of your dick.

Yeah, about once every five minutes, but I'd never know what triggered it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was hoping someone would read it that way. :)

It must really suck not having manuals, kids these days are missing out on some seriously awesome reading if they're just emulating all these classic games.

Same goes for buying the game used at a local pawnshop. Of course, I didn't by it used, or new. ;)

#34 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

I won't give Nario too much shit because he doesn't have the booklet and all...

For the most part holy water is the best weapon you can have in the game. For most bosses, if you start throwing it right before the fight starts in the spot where they are standing or where they will appears, they're completely fucked. They can't even move. This is more difficult with the first boss because he's so high up, it's easier to just use the axe and be done with it. And Dracula, well, when you get that far, you'll probably figure it out.

And the illustrations, man. I remember being so disappointed with the CV3 manual as a kid because it had hardly any illustrations of the monsters, at least compared to CV1 and CV2.
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#35 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,317 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

The Holy Water is my favorite weapon in the Zelda series.

giphy.gif

#36 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

I won't give Nario too much shit because he doesn't have the booklet and all...

I kinda deserve it, though. I mean, I've been around Castlevania games and info and music and everything for many years now, it's just now I feel like I eyes are starting to open to the series, and not just walking through the games with them closed--that obviously didn't do me any good back then, and it certainly wouldn't help me now.

For the most part holy water is the best weapon you can have in the game. For most bosses, if you start throwing it right before the fight starts in the spot where they are standing or where they will appears, they're completely fucked. They can't even move. This is more difficult with the first boss because he's so high up, it's easier to just use the axe and be done with it. And Dracula, well, when you get that far, you'll probably figure it out.

That... that sounds amazing!!! I'll definitely keep this tip in mind, Wizwars. :)

And the illustrations, man. I remember being so disappointed with the CV3 manual as a kid because it had hardly any illustrations of the monsters, at least compared to CV1 and CV2.

I still feel disappointed when I buy a new game, only to discover that the manual's a skimpy 10 Page summary, sometimes with no diagrams and just bold and underlined text. I need some motivating pictures to go with mah gaaaaaames.

#37 SnappleMan

SnappleMan

Shizz Master Zero

• Banned
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Not just manuals, current generation packaging in general sucks. Back in my day (lol) we used to get maps, nicely drawn manuals and all kinds of support hotlines and whatever else. Guides were high quality and EDITED to fix mistakes and fill in missing material (modern day guides often get shit wrong and leave things out altogether). As soon as BIG money started coming into the picture, this whole thing started on a shitty downward spiral. Also, remember when artists used to be artists? I want my game covers to be painted works of art, not shitty CG renderings. Fuck this shit, I quit.
Posted Image
nfsw

You sir, are a sociopath who gets off of insulting other people. People such as you, regardless of talent or merrit are a blight upon this world and aren't worth a single milligram of oxygen. Do the world a favor and go hang yourself you miserable, insecure, magalomaniacal bottom feeder.

#38 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

I agree with Snapple! Game manuals from 80's and 90's games were terrific reading material and just overall fun to have. Oh my god, I love games that have screenshots from the beta stages...I happen to remember there being a screenshot in my Sonic 2 manual that wasn't a level in the finished game. I might be wrong though, 'cause the last time I looked at that was...well, not even ten years later. :blink:

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#39 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

The instruction manual for Super Mario Bros. 3 was AMAZING. I spent hours looking at that little thing.

#40 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

I remember my NES Zelda manual having the most epic illustrations of the monsters.

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#41 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

SOTN, followed closely by II and Dawn Of Sorrow.

#42 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,317 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

Quick, someone make an instruction manual appreciation thread.

giphy.gif

#43 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

My full thoughts on instruction manuals (kinda old, but still relevant!): http://thejosephlust...ion-manual.html

Read my comic: BIG DUMB FIGHTING IDIOTS!

#44 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

What a tough choice... 3 and Rondo?

Excluding computer ports and Tiger handhelds, I actually think I own most of them too.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#45 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

Well, I might as well name off my favorites.

I've only ever played 1, 2, Super Castlevania 4, Dracula X, Symphony of the Night, 64 and Legacy of Darkness.
My favorites are Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the night. ^_^ I just like the controls and concepts of both.

ANYWAY, I think we should exchange opinions on what features of which games you think should be combined for the ULTIMATE CASTLEVANIA OF ALL TIME.
...THE ULTIMATE CASTLEVANIA OF ALL TIIIIME!!!
I think the controls of Super Castlevania 4 with the fluidity and level design of Symphony of the Night might come together somehow for great justice. Your takes?

EDIT: I think we're going to be Next Page'd soon. Beware. :ph34r:

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users