a lengthy treatise on why we will never 'make it'

#62 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

do we get trophies now? or at least medals?

HANDIES!!!

#63 negicore

negicore

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Personally I always hope, but rarely count on, all involved will help promote, promoter, band, venue, friends etc...And granted the bar has much overhead so most of the time they make the most, after that, touring bands, personally, I have rarely made more then like $25 on a show, I prefer to give it to the bands. I just wouldn't feel right if I walked out of there with as ton of money, esp. if it was more then any band...
the next time the star shoots across the sky, I'm gonna grab it, and smash it, under my feet...http://djjohnnyvolume.tumblr.com/

#64 chrisq50

chrisq50

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

I highly recommend that you stay clear of Nemesis Entertainment. Very shady operation. They contacted us about performing in one of their shows. We were a little taken aback when we found out that they had 11 other bands lined up and that the show would start at 7:30 and run to 2:00 am. They wouldn't give us a definite time when we would start, but said we would be somewhere in the middle. Just before the show started we were informed that we would go on at 12:20 am. Since we had told our following to get there around 8:30 to 9:00, we decided not to play. We immediately sent out text messages and made phone calls to tell everyone we would not be playing. Since we could not reach everyone we decided to hang out in front of the venue and head our friends off when they arrived.

The Nemesis strategy is to pack as many bands in a show as they can and only allow you to play for 20 to 30 minutes. This is not good for keeping your fans happy.

By the way, the last band was scheduled to start at 1:45 am. The manager of the venue told me that the doors would be locked down for the night at 2:00 am and that he would start clearing people out before then.

#65 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

dang, does sound a little shady
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#66 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

oh no! not this thread again :-)

#67 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

I was told there would be handies.

#68 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

oh no! not this thread again :-)

Muahahahahaha
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#69 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

HANDIES!!!!

#70 illya

illya

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

band vs. promoter

#71 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

being in a band paid so much better up until about 2003. Then something happened.

As a performer I stopped taking money from the door since about 2006. I make way more $$ on merch. I feel like I actually earn that money and that people are getting something that will last. My true payment is having people clap when I finish playing a song, that feels better than any amount of money. It's enough for me to continue to subject people to my music.
you're a signature.

#72 lennyfrank

lennyfrank

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

I know defending a promoter might not exactly be hip these days, but I saw chrisq jumped in the fray with some statements which are really very different from my bands experience with nemesis entertainment. I can't speak for his particular experience, but we have played 3 shows with nemesis in the last 8 or 9 months (at 2 different venues) and I have to say I don't recall having any issues with them. in fact, they were some of the better shows we've played. we got to perform right when we wanted to, we got paid, and we even made some new friends at our last show that led to a gig swap, so overall we have no complaints so far.

#73 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

yeah but you can do all of that WITHOUT having to play at shady ass pay-to-play 'band showcases'. heres some steps

be a good band
promote shows, dont be lazy
be nice to other bands

theres a start. also, you found this board, where quite a bit of networking gets done. USE IT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users