5226 replies to this topic

#5161 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

I was thinking about DoD's Jazz Month from a few years back, and I remembered how we were joking about all the different kinds of jazz, like funeral jazz and whatever we could come up with.  Anyway, this came to mind: metal jazz.

Invisible Oranges did an article recently showcasing bands who are jazz metal. There's some really good stuff there.

http://www.invisible...and-jazz-metal/

By the way, I'd certainly not classify Animals as Leaders as jazz metal.

To me, Diablo Swing Orchestra is ska metal, not jazz metal.

large rob zombie picture, music, video goes here. "Yeah"

#5162 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,919 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Yo Jer, remember PuD's Castlevania/CV3 arrangement from some DoDs ago? Swinglevania? That was the result of me joking to Tony that he should make a Castlevania 3 medley in the Diablo Swing Orchestra. His response was something along the lines of "You don't know how serious I am about doing that."
banners2mercury.jpg

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#5163 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

if you don't think Animals as Leaders is HEAVILY influenced by jazz then you aren't very familiar with Animals as Leaders

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#5164 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Heavily influenced by jazz != jazz

Atheist was heavily influenced by jazz too. Unquestionable Presence is a sick album.

#5165 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

if you don't think Animals as Leaders is HEAVILY influenced by jazz then you aren't very familiar with Animals as Leaders

I don't doubt that they're heavily influenced by jazz; I don't consider them to be jazz metal. Ephel Duath and Alarum would be better examples of jazz metal.

#5166 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Sometimes I remind myself that Bolt Thrower isn't a band anymore and I get really sad.

#5167 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Like Thin Lizzy?

Posted Image

#5168 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

That feeling when you realize, after being a power metal fan for half your life, that the first verse of Somewhere Out in Space is nearly identical to the verses of Traveler in Time:

(0:55)

(0:33)

BRAINMEAT - My original metal album on Bandcamp (free)
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#5169 Vegeroth

Vegeroth

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Live as if you would die tomorrow, learn as if you would live forever.

#5170 clansmaneddie

clansmaneddie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

kinda on the whole metal and jazz thing

Spoiler

I'd take Snapple's satirical pestering over your tired ass trolling ANY DAY.

ron-Maiden-Somewhere-In-Time-1986-Album-

#5171 Paragon

Paragon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Damn clansmaneddie, thanks for posting that.  I bought it from bandcamp after listening to the first 10 minutes.  https://themantleban...lbum/the-mantle

#5172 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

I've been talking to this girl recently who goes to the same school I graduated from and it turns out she's also a pretty big metalhead. We've been trying to figure out a time when we could both meet up in the city and hit some metal bars (Duff's, Saint Vitus and the like), but our schedules don't sync at all. Turns out she's coming into the city in two weeks to see Kreator though. So I figured "I haven't seen Kreator in like 6 years. Alright sure I'll go see Kreator with you and then we'll go out to bars afterwards." 

I haven't listened to anything new Kreator's released since Hordes of Chaos, and wasn't really a fan of that album. All of these newer albums sound like the same boring album one after another. I get that they tried to do the whole melodeath thing, but if I wanted to hear that I'd listen to the new At the Gates or something. There are some sick riffs here and there, but it's spread out between mostly boring riffage. But whatever it'll be pretty nostalgic to see a couple of songs from Coma of Souls/Extreme Aggression/Pleasure to Kill.

And then JUST NOW I found out that Obituary is also on that tour. So fuck yeah now I'm excited because Obituary is always fun. Gonna be a good time even if most of Kreator's set is going to be stuff I don't care about. 

#5173 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,919 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Oh man, Obituary. It's been a hot minute since I've seen those guys.

EHCHAPPEDEHLOWWWWF
banners2mercury.jpg

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#5174 clansmaneddie

clansmaneddie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

there's a good chance i or someone have posted this here, but i really want to post it here, right here, right now.

I'd have to say Bathory was the 1st automsophereic black metal experience i had, this was the 2nd.  I might have gotten that sub genre wrong, but i hope you will forgive me.  I was teaching a student, and they brought up this band and they wanted to learn the song 'Wild Autumn Wind'.  I had previously heard about them before, but just kind praises.  I hadn't heard the product, but regardless it came highly recommended.  By the 1st few seconds of the song i fell for it so hard.  It honestly reminded me of the music for ps3 hit game Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots as some of the melodies remained me of some of the motifs that took place in said games original soundtrack.  I proceeded to borrow this album.  the first song reminds of Age of Empires, splendid soundtrack to play age of empires, almost made for it.  The album drawing inspiration for Malazan: Book of the Fallen, it introduced me to a universe i was unaware of.  Once again another thing where it came highly recommended.  I've made some progress on the first book, but it is thick style cut bacon but instead of bacon it's really a 18 wheeler tire.  This album has the goods, its a great listen.  Doing it right now, taking me to a good place.  If This Is Your Bag You Should Definitely Take Out The Trash Bag Of Good Music Not Trash.  Great listen.

ps, i think i may have posted it hear before but just like the above post, i do not mention the band or the album.  So to reiterate, the band Caladan Brood with album Echoes of Battle is a surefire hit for the ages.  Do what you want.

pps. if you are so interested, you may have been curious of i had empirical data on the song title "Wild Autumn Wind" was similar to Metal Gear Solid 4 OST, feast your eyes in the 'songs that sound like video game songs' thread, really important stuff.  

I'd take Snapple's satirical pestering over your tired ass trolling ANY DAY.

ron-Maiden-Somewhere-In-Time-1986-Album-

#5175 Vegeroth

Vegeroth

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

So I heard about Memoriam, new band with Bolt Thrower members in it. 

I went and bought it yesterday after hearing one song online.

That riff at :038

Live as if you would die tomorrow, learn as if you would live forever.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users