196 replies to this topic

#16 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

The first and third are my favorites so far; the second one was great but for whatever reason, I can't remember much of it right now. Fourth one really uh...yeah, I could have done without reading it. It's completely replaceable by just reading the third then fifth apparently, everyone says you don't need to know any of the fourth book to understand the fifth.

I already know the ending to the series but I'll never rest until I read them all.

I actually like the fourth book. It's a severe detour from the main storyline, but I think it adds a lot in the long run. My main gripe with it (and the fifth book) is that they're too long. Not much really happens in either book, especially compared to Song of Susannah, which is only like three hundred pages and non-stop action. I think that he could have shortened the fourth and fifth ones by a few hundred pages and made them into the same book.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#17 Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp

Shizz 1,000,000

• Members
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Insomnia is a lot of fun. Great read. If I may, I'd also recommend Gerald's Game, Thinner and Under the Dome. All fun books.

With that being said, I have yet to read any of the other books you've listed. I really should get around to doing that one of these days.
"I envision a world where we all make money doing NOTHING." -Bill Hicks

#18 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

I really liked the 4th. My least favorite is probably the first half of the Dark Tower itself. That whole section seems to drag to me. The rest of it, I feel has a lot of character even if the plot moves slow. The settings are less depressing I guess.

#19 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

I got the comic book adaptations, but I haven't started reading them yet. I've done a good job completely avoiding anything about the story so far, so the whole thing should be nice and fresh for me.

My wholehearted advice is to NOT READ THE COMICS, especially if you haven't read the story first.

In my opinion, the proper order (to get pretty much the whole story) is:

The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Stand
The Wastelands
Wizard and Glass
Hearts in Atlantis (the first portion)
The Little Sisters of Eluria
Black House
Salem's Lot
Wolves of the Calla
Insomnia
Song of Susannah
It
The Dark Tower

I know it's a lot, but I've read most of these several times and I think this makes the most sense. You'd do it if you were a REAL MAN!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

::reads comics instead::

;)

Actually maybe I'll just check out the wikipedia instead! :P

#20 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,203 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Anyone else looking forward to the new installment in the series, The Wind Through The Keyhole?

Just to clarify, it's not like a sequel or anything...it takes place around the time of Roland and Cuthbert being friends as children. But they're not the main characters apparently!

(Also sequel to The Shining, Doctor Sleep!)

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#21 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I've read the 7 books and most of the other books in that universe (trying to read all SK books) but not the graphic novels yet, or Insomnia (tried 4 times, bores the shit out of me.)

As for the main series, Book 3 is certainly what it's all about. If only the others following could have matched it... but alas, it's best I don't think too hard on 5-7. They make me angry. He wrote them really fast after his accident just to be sure they'd be finished, and his rushing totally shows.

Reading only Books 1-3 is like watching Godfather minus Part 3 or Back to the Future minus Part 3. Acceptable in my eyes.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#22 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I just read the first book a couple years ago. It's certainly a young, inexperienced King and is at times sloppily told, but it was a fun read. I'd like to read more of them soon, but the latter books in the series proper look bloated as shit. Are they solid?

Read my comic: BIG DUMB FIGHTING IDIOTS!

#23 darmock

darmock

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I just moved to a park named after Roland of Gilead. This thread has my approval!

Man that series takes me back, those were some good times (:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Less talk. More synthehol.

#24 LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Holy fucking shit this thread is so much win.

Seriously I read through all of these in high school and my journey to the Dark Tower was an amazing one. I'd probably have to read them all a second time before I could decide my favorite ones in order, but otherwise this is a wonderful book series.

Anyone here besides me, Demonstray, and Kain listen to Demons & Wizards? They're an amazing band and their second album has some songs based off the book series.

tumblr_n074bwaG7G1soiz10o1_500.gif

#25 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,203 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm a huge Demons & Wizards fan, don't get me wrong, but Terror Train is just so over-the-top it's not even awesome anymore. With only a few breaks from overused double kick, it just feels like it could have been thought through a bit better on that point. But it has its moments, definitely.

Also, Crimson King is just yes.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#26 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

My personal opinion is that no one can play Roland as well as Clint Eastwood could have, and he's too old at this point.

I'm thinking either Viggo Mortensen or Hugh Jackman.
The ARC Legacy demo is coming soon!
http://abstract-productions.net/

#27 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:12 AM

I was browsing through Zanadu Comics in Seattle and noticed there were marvel comics versions of The Stand and also The Dark Tower, and I think a few more stephen king novels gone graphic - has anyone read these? I typically don't enjoy Marvel comics but they can't ALL be poorly-written, especially when King already wrote the stories.

#28 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

Dark Tower ending spoiler - don't read unless you've finished Book 7.
Spoiler

Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#29 Engineer

Engineer

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

Longtime fan here.

Roland: I'd imagined Viggo Mortensen. Also see: Daniel Day Lewis, Clint Eastwood (never happen).

Eddie Dean: These Days? Joseph Gordon Levitt

Detta/Odetta: Used to think Halle Berry. Too old maybe? Zoe Saldana is too young. Thandie Newton!

Marten: Steve Buscemi

Spoiler

I really like all of these choices, except for Susannah. I always thought Rosario Dawson would be good for that character. Taraji Henson would be awesome as well but is probably too old.

I'm honestly shocked to hear how many people liked the Waste Lands best. That was hands down my least favorite book of the series. So much of the dialogue was painful even by King standards and I didn't enjoy the Blaine the Mono stuff at all.

I'm probably not the best example though because the Gunslinger is my favorite. It's definitely not the best written, but it's so ambitious and different and it really captures that Sergio Leone feel he was going for, more so than the rest of the series. I think the Drawing of the Three is the best all around novel though and pretty much couldn't put it down start to finish. After that I'd probably go... Wolves of the Calla, Wizard and Glass, the Dark Tower, Song of Susannah, and then the Waste Lands.

Hopeful for the movie/TV stuff, but not too confident it'll turn out well.

#30 GENTLYPORKING

GENTLYPORKING

Out for Revengeance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I had such a love affair with these books when I read them until I got to book 5...

Spoiler

these hilary clinton-looking women must be pressing their buttholes right up against the sides of the stall and letting it rip.

icing bag style.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users