194 replies to this topic

#31 Engineer

Engineer

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Yeah... that wasn't my favorite thing that happened in the series. It got easier to stomach over time. But not so much at first.

#32 ironyengine

ironyengine

Extra Dad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Given the nature of this board, this thread is not about what I was expecting.

Take your time old man, these vultures are happy to wait... 

#33 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Given the nature of this board, this thread is not about what I was expecting.

My brother had that game. At one point I would just take the tower in the car like on a road trip and just play it like it was a gameboy. It wasn't until later that I actually tried setting it up and playing the game for real.

#34 Kaptain Carbon

Kaptain Carbon

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

alright going to come back to this becasue i only read the gunslinger...now i feel that i maybe missing more to the story..err universe

but seriously Movie>tv series>movie>tv series>movie
insane

#35 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,143 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Dark Tower ending spoiler - don't read unless you've finished Book 7.

Spoiler

I thought it was waaaay interesting how
Spoiler

Also

In April 2010, it was announced that the books will be adapted into a trilogy that will be written by Akiva Goldsman and directed and produced by Ron Howard.

On September 8, 2010, it was officially confirmed that the series will be brought to both the big and the small screens via a trilogy of feature films and two seasons of a television series to bridge gaps between the films.

I just hope they don't go through with Christian Bale being Roland (he has been the #1 choice to play Roland since 2009). :(

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#36 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

Stephen King rewrote The Gunslinger to match the tone of the later books and fix some inconsistencies, make sure you've got one published 2003 or later.
He didn't fix ALL inconsistencies, there are a few mistakes and plot holes here and there throughout the series but nothing too bad

Movie: It's a good time for this to come out as a movie/series. I'm happy that it's big screen, I don't want it to end up looking like Legend of the Seeker or anything.
Stephen King says that all the big, epic fantasy movies lately are part of post-9/11 culture, since it's so far removed from the real world. Not sure if I agree but it's an interesting concept.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#37 Kaptain Carbon

Kaptain Carbon

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

alright youve convinced me: ill read it
i read the gunslinger once but didn't have the necessary knowledge of how far this thing extends

going to go with this reading order unless anyone has any objections

http://www.amazon.co.../R10YBYAJZD1OGQ

#38 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

NOT OPTIMISTIC!!!

http://www.stephenki...k_tower_pr1.pdf

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#39 Tim 200X

Tim 200X

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

This thread is relevant to my interests.

sorry for lack of limrick
i was too busy with ur moms tit
yea i'm talkin sex
year 200x
so shut up and eat bag of dick

#40 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

I finally started reading The Drawing of the Three this week and holy wow, what a leap from The Gunslinger. This shit has me engrossed as hell and I'll probably be done with it by tomorrow.

Read my comic: BIG DUMB FIGHTING IDIOTS!

#41 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have never read a stephen king book because before I ever got around to it, I realized that I have hated almost every movie based on his work. I figured with that many bad movies, it had to be the source material. Viking Guitar loaned me a copy of "The Eyes of the Dragon" and urged me to give the books a chance because he agreed that almost every movie off of his work sucked. I gotta say I'm halfway through it and I love it. I want to read this dark tower series next.

astroman.gif Dj5ZiPN.png

#42 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

You're reading one that's never been made into a movie, which is good. I can't read The Shining and not picture Jack Nicholson, so I'll never be able to read that from scratch, or something. Anyway, you'll probably hear about how some books "tie in" to the Dark Tower world, but none of them are required reading. They just expand certain parts. The Dark Tower series can be read on its own.

Anyway, if you're just starting Stephen King, here are a few good "starter" books:

-Night Shift (collection of short stories)
-If you liked that one, then Skeleton Crew (more short stories but with one novella)
-Salem's Lot (classic vampires, not trendy ones)
-Cujo (The whole book builds up to one horrible, seemingly inescapable situation, which I found pretty neat)
-The Long Walk (I love this book and I never hear anyone else talk about it)

In fact, I think I'll say here that The Long Walk is about a bunch of teenagers who agree to be in this walking competition, where whoever can walk the furthest wins. The ones who stop walking are killed. That's the whole idea, and it's awesome following it along. Go read it.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#43 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Eyes of the Dragon was SO good! If alot of these stories are connected, where should I go next?

astroman.gif Dj5ZiPN.png

#44 Engineer

Engineer

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I finally started reading The Drawing of the Three this week and holy wow, what a leap from The Gunslinger. This shit has me engrossed as hell and I'll probably be done with it by tomorrow.

Yeah Drawing of the Three has an entirely different pace than any other book in the series, and it's completely awesome. I'm reading the Road to the Dark Tower now, (as if I hadn't wasted enough of my life reading this series, now I'm reading a book ABOUT the series) and they talk a lot about how the book is almost structured opposite of the Gunslinger. In the Gunslinger it's a long slow build to a climax, where as tDotT starts off instantly with one of the most important events in the book and then lets everything play out from there.

I'm enjoying the Road to the Dark Tower because I find the story of how the books were written and the circumstances around how hard the Gunslinger was so hard to find and all that to be very interesting. Although the chunk I'm reading right now towards the middle just basically recaps each book and it's pretty skippable.

#45 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

ok I finished the stand, gunslinger and drawing of the three, i am about 1/4 of the way into wastelands and diggin it so far, i wish i had known Stephen king was awesome sooner

astroman.gif Dj5ZiPN.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users