3665 replies to this topic

#16 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Got release day delivery on this. Can't wait to finally give it a go. I love From Software games.

#17 Battlerager

Battlerager

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Got release day delivery on this. Can't wait to finally give it a go. I love From Software games.

Tenchu4Lyfe
XBox Live: ThaBattlerager
Heroes of Newerth: Battlerager
TEAM FIRE

#18 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,187 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

From Gamespot's Review:

At one point, I had bizarre froglike creatures breathe a cursing mist all over me, causing me to become cursed. Becoming cursed means losing half of your health bar, and lifting the curse involved sprinting through the murky New Londo ruins, avoiding ghosts while seeking the special healer who could lift the curse. After idling for too long in a demon's abode, a bulbous growth sprouted on my head, and I could no longer equip a helmet. Now I have a giant tumor growing on my neck instead of a head and no access to the defensive benefits of the black-hemmed hood I love so much!

This sounds brutal. I'm concerned to put $60 on a game that I might throw out the window because of frustration.

That section is also mentioned in the IGN review along with some other knee slapping details

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle.

The broken equipment part concerns me a bit more. Brutal.

#19 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Demon's Souls didn't let your weapons break for good. I doubt this game does either.
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#20 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,187 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

That's what I was thinking, like that can't be right, but I've only read about upgrades through bonfires and nothing about blacksmiths. I really don't know what to expect here!

#21 Heosphoros

Heosphoros

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

That's what I was thinking, like that can't be right, but I've only read about upgrades through bonfires and nothing about blacksmiths. I really don't know what to expect here!

You buy a tool box to repair, a box for upgrading and an endless box for storage. You can only access these boxes at campfires though.
Σ

#22 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,475 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

From Gamespot's Review:

At one point, I had bizarre froglike creatures breathe a cursing mist all over me, causing me to become cursed. Becoming cursed means losing half of your health bar, and lifting the curse involved sprinting through the murky New Londo ruins, avoiding ghosts while seeking the special healer who could lift the curse. After idling for too long in a demon's abode, a bulbous growth sprouted on my head, and I could no longer equip a helmet. Now I have a giant tumor growing on my neck instead of a head and no access to the defensive benefits of the black-hemmed hood I love so much!

This sounds brutal. I'm concerned to put $60 on a game that I might throw out the window because of frustration.

I recall that they've already updated the servers to increase the number of merchants that sell curse-curing items.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#23 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

tried to pick this up at game stop midnight release. only had four copies for 360 and I was too late. I probably won't get it anymore.

sgy5Biv.gif

#24 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,475 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Installing my 360 copy to the HDD as I type, although I won't have time to play it until I get home from work tomorrow evening. Might check out the soundtrack and mini-strategy guide though...

#25 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

Jealous.....

:(
NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://soundcloud.com/MattCreamer
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#26 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,475 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

If it's any consolation, the damned collector's edition website seems to be restricting me to downloading 1 item at a time and it's slow as fuck. Still working on just the strategy guide PDF. After that, I still have to download the map, the soundtrack (part 1), and 3 making of videos. Sheesh.

EDIT: Hah. I can now see that some of the fan websites have been ripping text directly from the strategy guide. :lol:

#27 Heosphoros

Heosphoros

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

It's 9:30 AM, the store opens at 10. I'm drinking a cup of joe and gearing my humanity. Umbasa
Σ

#28 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Sounds intriguing, especially to play it multiplayer with you guys, but man, that just sounds ridiculously frustrating to me. I love a good challenge but there's too much of a backlog...oh to win the lottery and have endless time to game

#29 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

I thought this sounded interesting...then I read all the IGN comments. "Prepare to die over and over again"? Um...no thanks? Granted, it's IGN. But still, I'm on the "this sounds incredibly frustrating" side of the fence. MMOs are sometimes frustrating enough as it is. I hope someone can convince me otherwise.

#30 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I will be trying to grab this today. Looking forward to being very frustrated. I hope this is just CVII in 3D.

large rob zombie picture, music, video goes here. "Yeah"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users