627 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

I'm tired of making "fuck you <_<" posts whenever someone mentions an awesome VGM cover band and someone else says "oh yeah, I've known about them for years but I didn't bother telling anyone else on here about it". Or people telling the shizz about them in 11:60 or buried deep in other obscure threads. All of this needs to stop. Now.

Rules: (if we're gonna play a game...)

- Do not post official soundtracks (we've got VGMdb for that)
- Do not post DoD or OCR stuff (they get plenty of exposure on the shizz already)
- Do not post chiptunes unless they also feature VGM covers (chiptunes thread is here)
- Do not post download links to stuff that is for sale or that you do not have permission to post
- Do recommend releases, especially those other shizzies might not have heard of!
- Do include youtube videos or samples if possible!
- Do be awesome :lol:

I'm going to start by reposting some awesome finds shared in the past by other shizzies...

Cory Johnson - Legend of Zelda (Demos)

I was gonna start a new thread for this, but seeing as there's already a Zelda music related thread on page one...
Posted Image
http://coryjohnson.b...-of-zelda-demos

A bunch of Zelda songs, arranged in post-rock style. They're labeled demos, but don't let that fool you: it's still really well produced. The guy plans on re-doing most of the songs, adding a whole bunch more, and giving it a proper release.

Retro Remix Revue (originally posted by Nick the Newbie)

Love these guys, very One Ups-ish... Their website appears to no longer exist, but you can find both of their albums for sale digitally on amazon.

Jesse Bishop

Our very own Metal Bishop's classic Blaster Master cover album is still freakin' sweet:

You can get it off Concatenation Records for a small donation to MAGfund (or for free if that's how you roll).

More to come in future posts where I get more youtube links! Post your own faves in the meantime. B)

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#2 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

jmr is the fucking man and always comes through:

http://remixartistco...tendo-vs-sega-2

I know some people are a bit picky when it comes to arrangements that don't really maintain the feel of the source tune, and that this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed this way too much to not share it here.

tracklist:
1. Mario Kart 64 - Koopa Troopa Beach (RAC Mix) (3:30)
2. Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant Zone (RAC Mix) (3:38)
3. Duck Huntin' (Terrible Shot) (RAC Karl Kling Mix) (2:11)
4. Contra - Waterfall/Jungle (RAC Mix) (4:51)
5. Poke´mon - Red Blue Opening Theme (RAC Blue Satellite Mix) (3:40)
6. Double Dragon - Stage 1 (RAC Karl Kling Mix) (4:08)
7. Streets Of Rage - Stage 1 (RAC Mix) (5:08)

#3 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

Great thread! Bookmarked.

My 2 cents. It didn't get much attention because people aren't into choirs, I guess.

I recently discovered these guys through one of spamtron's friends, a chiptune artist named AWESOMECAT. Apparently his sister is the director of this choir from Boston and it's pretty amazing. Normally I'm not a fan of VGM a capella projects (except Nester Babies of course), but this one is great. The songs are cleverly arranged and professionally sung. They released an album today.

http://vgmchoir.band....com/album/sing

For starters check out this one:

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#4 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

Quarter Circle Jab

From our very own Tetsuo and universal_justin:

These guys do it rigth. There's simply no one else out there that quite sounds like these guys; the recordings sound like you're getting to listen in on these guys jamming out to their favorite classic video game themes in someone's garage. It's that kind of live element that makes them standout. And their penchant for doing both popular (e.g. Sonic, Zelda, Final Fantasy) and totally obscure (e.g. Lagrange Point, Front Mission 3) covers makes them easy to get into without feeling like they're retreading ground.

Download immediately here:

http://www.goodrichi...lizing.com/qcj/

I'll wait till tomorrow before making any more posts. I have lots more to post, but I want to ensure that I can give a nice write up to everything that I link to.

#5 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

The freshiest jam from my friend Zubareus: Jurrasic Park (NES)

Artem Zubarev is a guitar player and photographer from Kazan, Russia. He focuses on NES music and his choice of tunes is exceptional. I may say that it hits close to home for a guy like me who was growing up in 90s Russia, we had a pretty strange selection of famicom and NES games here. His production and playing is solid, and the arrangememts are great. Zubareus balances really well between the direct covering and adding additional elements to the tune.

Check out his debut album if you still haven't (it's free).

Album preview:

Zubareus' youtube channel.
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#6 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:25 AM

I've easily got 30+ good posts I could make. I counted (totally not joking). I'm going to have to space them out (and hope others hit up a few of the ones I want to do before I get around to them).

#7 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,213 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

The freshiest jam from my friend Zubareus: Jurrasic Park (NES)

Artem Zubarev is a guitar player and photographer from Kazan, Russia. He focuses on NES music and his choice of tunes is exceptional. I may say that it hits close to home for a guy like me who was growing up in 90s Russia, we had a pretty strange selection of famicom and NES games here. His production and playing is solid, and the arrangememts are great. Zubareus balances really well between the direct covering and adding additional elements to the tune.

Check out his debut album if you still haven't (it's free).

Album preview:

Zubareus' youtube channel.

This is really good, even though I have no recollection of the JP soundtrack.

#8 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Mega Ran

I feel like this is going to be a controversial post as putting lyrics to VG tunes, especially when they're rapped, has seemed to be a somewhat taboo subject here in the past. To be fair, I completely wrote this guy off in the past even when seeing some of his stuff bubble up to popular sites like Kotaku. That all changed when I saw him perform at PAX 2011 jam space. I was kind of digging his work, but a bit further into his set I heard this and my mind was opened up wide:

There's something about telling your life story over an old NES tune that isn't directly mentioned but is clearly thematically appropriate hits me on an emotional level. With Mega Ran you aren't listening to a guy who raps on top of video game music, you're listening to a real rapper do his thing to beats that just so happen to be game tunes. I really appreciate how Mega Ran can write lyrics from a character's perspective (e.g. Mega Man) as well as hit on more real life topics. It keeps his material varied and his lyrics fresh.

Here's a great Secret of Mana track about co-op gaming:

And just for fun, Splash Woman:

Mega Ran's discography is fairly size able. You can find a bunch of his stuff on Bancamp, although it's poorly organized across multiple artist listings. The best starting point I can suggest is his Forever Famicom album which I find to be of a higher quality than his other releases: http://megarankmurdo...forever-famicom

You can also stream his stuff for free off of Bandcamp and youtube.

Haters gonna hate.

#9 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thems Super Guitar Bros. are pretty cool.

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

Where does Mario poop in the airship? Behind his chair? In Cappy?

#10 MichaelTheCrow

MichaelTheCrow

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I remember seeing this a few years ago, clever use of live footage makes it seem like it really is X Japan performing the infamous MM2 Dr. Wily's theme, don't be fooled though:

Judgment - The might of the apocalypse.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Website | Blog | Facebook | Myspace (Old as stuff only :( )

#11 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,193 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Mega Ran

I feel like this is going to be a controversial post as putting lyrics to VG tunes, especially when they're rapped, has seemed to be a somewhat taboo subject here in the past. To be fair, I completely wrote this guy off in the past even when seeing some of his stuff bubble up to popular sites like Kotaku. That all changed when I saw him perform at PAX 2011 jam space. I was kind of digging his work, but a bit further into his set I heard this and my mind was opened up wide:

I'll second the recommendation for Mega Ran, and that's coming from a guy who hates "Nerdcore". I was lucky enough to see him perform in Orlando earlier this year and he knocked my socks off. He was also nice enough to pose with me for a ridiculous photo.

Posted Image

#12 Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

What is Blakk Mayjehs?

EDIT: How is Blakk Mayjehs formed?
O.N.H.C. Put it on t-shirts, wear it, live it, love it.
Only Noobz Hit Civillians
That one topic with the songs and stuff
Not my site, 'cuz I don't have one, but awesome nonetheless. Fightersgeneration.com

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE

AW FEIN

Remember to *Stay Determined*!!

#13 universal_justin

universal_justin

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

These guys do it rigth. There's simply no one else out there that quite sounds like these guys; the recordings sound like you're getting to listen in on these guys jamming out to their favorite classic video game themes in someone's garage. It's that kind of live element that makes them standout. And their penchant for doing both popular (e.g. Sonic, Zelda, Final Fantasy) and totally obscure (e.g. Lagrange Point, Front Mission 3) covers makes them easy to get into without feeling like they're retreading ground.

thanks man thats one of the most awesome things ive ever read about QCJ.

quartercirclejab.bandcamp.com - VGM Cover Band

goodrich.bandcamp.com - Synthwave

#14 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,203 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

What is Blakk Mayjehs?

A miserable little former pile of Uematsu?

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#15 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Eric's Little Shack

These guys should be well known to all the older shizzies, but for the newer generation, you need to start listening. They're one of the originals of the scene. They're also one of the first to use real drums outside of full bands like the Minibosses, NESkimos, or the Advantage. Recording and production skill has come a long ways in this scene over the last decade, but even though some of these recordings are 8 or more years older, they still manage to sound great all these years later.

By some miracle, you can still find all their old stuff on their Tripod page: http://ericslittleshack.tripod.com/

As a bonus, they also do a fun assortment of non-VG covers too (oh shit, Little Mermaid!).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users