774 replies to this topic

#751 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

I used to watch Erock but at some point his covers started getting like REALLY stale and thesame-ish.

iu_10481_5243319.jpg?raw=1

#752 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

So apparently the Smash Ultimate menu music has a rippin’ bassline.

#753 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Whoa! That is some bombastic and/or ominous stuff! Heavy, but not heavy metal! Nice find!

I just stumbled on this guy while looking up a Gemfire track on YouTube. That Paladin's Quest arrangement in general is magnificent! Gonna buy his album.

https://www.youtube....H6eGX-cyjedm1y_

Damn this is surprisingly classy.

#754 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,886 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

So apparently the Smash Ultimate menu music has a rippin’ bassline.

That's the first thing I noticed about it. So PHAT.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#755 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,886 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

I used to watch Erock but at some point his covers started getting like REALLY stale and thesame-ish.

Same here, however that is a spot on straight cover there, for sure.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#756 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:48 AM

If it’s anything like us Canadians, it’s a hassle. To enter the US as a “performer” you need a P2 visa which is basically a work visa. For Canada, there is a reciprocal arrangement through the American Federation of Musicians so you can go through the whole process without a lawyer. Still expensive (min $600 US for a single performer, goes up with additional band members) and time consuming though. This applies even if you are just doing a “showcase” and not getting paid for it.

For other countries there might be a similar arrangement and I know there are certain “cultural exchange” exceptions. But I know it was a big deal for Mag to bring Jun Sunoue over in 2018. The alternative is to attempt to go “under the radar” and just show up, but this can be very problematic if you get caught. They’ve been known to check social media to catch bands doing this and then handing out 10 year bans on entry to the US. So we have never taken the risk when we’ve gone south. Especially when driving across the border with a van full of instruments.

So it may not be easy to invite people over. I don’t know what MAG’s threshold for helping people out would be - obviously they worked on it for Jun Sunoue, but for other bands it might be impossible unless they fully or partly pay their own way.

Can't you use a tourist visa and "play for charity" ?

I don't know the laws on us and canada. But i remember back in the day, when i was playing the anime conventions circle, that was how the organizers could afford to book international singers and stuff. They werent directly paid (but their costs were taken care of) and they got tourist visas.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://ko-fi.com/tibone/

#757 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Unfortunately you can’t do that, and it sounds like those conventions were taking huge risks. Performance is “work” regardless of whether payment is involved. There are VERY specific exceptions involving cultural exchanges where everything is paid for by the “sending” government, and academic endeavours (which must be fully backed by documentation, you can’t just claim something is academic). Otherwise you have to have the appropriate classification to “work” in the US or face potentially dire consequences. I know some people can circumvent this more easily than others (eg DJs with minimal equipment and singers), but there are a ton of horror stories from people trying to get away with not having a visa and facing major consequences.

Even if you are going to the US just to use a recording studio and not perform, there is a requirement that the resultant recordings cannot be released in the US or a visa will be required.

That being said, a lot does depend on the method by which you cross the border (land vs air), where you cross and the attitude/knowledge of the border officers. So, crossing with a van full of instruments is likely to be major trouble, vs a singer taking a flight and not saying anything. However, the consequences of getting “caught” can be really dire. It’s an enormous risk for anyone. A savvy border officer will absolutely look up your social media and public information about performances. They’ve been known to do far worse (e.g. you basically can’t refuse an officer to look at/download the contents of any electronics you have at the border. If you refuse they will refuse you entry.)

From a related website with legal advice:
“Do not circumvent the visa process! Must an alien go through such a complicated process just to work for a short time in the U.S.? Yes. Even if no compensation is involved? Yes. In other words, just because a beneficiary will be performing in the U.S. for no compensation (or just for expenses) does NOT mean that an O or P visa is not required. O and P beneficiaries are not required to be paid at all, but, to undertake the activities described in their petitions, they must in fact have the appropriate work-related visa classification. O and P petitioners and beneficiaries who fail to comply with the rules take risks that can limit short-term options and impose long-term consequences on all parties involved.”

It’s REALLY stupid. But it’s unlikely to change any time soon. Canada used to have similar rules but did away with them (for Americans at least) because they realized how dumb it was for a small time band to have to apply for a visa to play a show. Legislators in the US have sadly not made it a priority to fix this regardless of industry pressure.

#758 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Yeah I think it's a lot easier for Americans going in to Canada than other way 'round. On our way back to Seattle from Vancouver last, in fact, we got this stern talking to from the American dude at the border about how he could fine us "$5,000" on the spot for not having a complete manifest. All of us had traveled to and from Canada in bands many times without having experienced something like that.

#759 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Weird, every time Oddwood went to Canada it was a big ordeal, getting out of the van, checking all IDs, filling out paper work (in addition to having done the paper work months in advance).  Coming back into the US it was like

"you guys American?"

"Yep"  
"You don't have any DRUGS do you???" (apples and avocados clearly visible in the front seats) "haha just bustin yer balls, come on through!"

#760 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#761 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

YES.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#762 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:50 AM

Weird, every time Oddwood went to Canada it was a big ordeal, getting out of the van, checking all IDs, filling out paper work (in addition to having done the paper work months in advance).  Coming back into the US it was like

"you guys American?"

"Yep"  
"You don't have any DRUGS do you???" (apples and avocados clearly visible in the front seats) "haha just bustin yer balls, come on through!"

That has been my experience in the past but all of a sudden it wasn't like that in 2018. However, each time we went last year it was only for one show and not really like a "tour"...I don't know if that mattered to the Canadian officials or not. And to clarify, when I said "I think it's a lot easier for Americans going in to Canada than other way 'round" I meant for Canadian citizens entering the States, not American citizens. That one guy with his $5,000 threat was the only time I've ever experienced an issue re-entering the country.

#763 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

Don't know if this has been posted before but here is someone covering the Bloody Tears arrangement from Perfect Selection: Dracula Battle.

#764 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

So, um, there’s a video:

#765 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members