Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

#32 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Basically anything can be a word if enough people use it. But that word is still stupid.

But isn't that a stupid argument? It's not like the modern English language just popped out of thin air; it's okay for language to change over time. If you understand the point someone is trying to convey regardless of the specific words (and/or non-words) they use, hasn't language served its purpose?

You guys all sound like people complaining about "music these days" just like your parent's parents complained about rock 'n' roll.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#33 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

VINYLS

uGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

toopunk2lose.png

#34 Norrin_Radd

Norrin_Radd

The Boob Whisperer

• Members
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

I use to say

Posted Image

If I were speaking this, it would sound like, "Yuuzta". Sometimes I write the way I talk. Even though when I talk, I am saying "used".

Posted Image

Edit: Unless used is also wrong. In which case, fuck English.

NorrinRadd22 at gmail dot com
https://twitter.com/Norrin_Radd22
http://mattcreameraudio.com/
Matt Creamer on Facebook

#35 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,779 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

Basically anything can be a word if enough people use it. But that word is still stupid.

But isn't that a stupid argument? It's not like the modern English language just popped out of thin air; it's okay for language to change over time. If you understand the point someone is trying to convey regardless of the specific words (and/or non-words) they use, hasn't language served its purpose?

In the case of "irregardless", I would have understood what they were saying if they had just said "regardless", and they would have saved themselves an extra syllable. I'm just trying to help out.

In the case of the slang word "swag", no I actually didn't understand what the hell the person was trying to say, because swag was a word that already had a meaning. I had to stop and really think about they might possibly be trying to convey, and when I realized they were misusing the word out of IGNORANTS, I was annoyed. ANNOYED, damn it! How dare they! The very idea of it!!!

;-)

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#36 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Even if language changes, I still can't imagine a situation where somebody can say, "Sometimes that never happens," and have that still be right. Or the, "I could care less."
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#37 weener

weener

Sleeveless

• Shizzified
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Even if language changes, I still can't imagine a situation where somebody can say, "Sometimes that never happens," and have that still be right. Or the, "I could care less."

I can think of some situations where "Sometimes that never happens" could be used. For instance, if "sometimes" is used to mean "for some people" or "in certain cases." Though "never" could just as easily be "doesn't."

"I want this terminal illness to go away! When do I go into spontaneous remission?"
"Sometimes that never happens."

"Mom, how old will I be when I meet the love of my life?"
"Sometimes that happens when you're very young, sometimes that never happens."

#38 Radioeyes

Radioeyes

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

To be fair, I work in a building with lots of nuclear physicists, and a few of them do the Nuk-u-lar thing. As does former President Jimmy Carter, who worked with Nuk-u-lar submarines in the Navy. I've also met a commissioner of the Nuk-u-lar Regulatory Commission.

It still drives me crazy to hear it that way, but people who assume that "nuclear" mispronunciation is equivalent with being stupid are just plain wrong. I'd say it's a speech impediment.

Now, calling the people working on airplanes "Stewardesses" or "Aisle-Hags" instead of "Flight Attendants," well, that's just stupid.

#39 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

My main annoyance of language is when people actually speak out internet shorthand like 'OMG' or 'WTF'. There is no real reason to use it as you are not shortening anything -- OMG has the same amount of syllables as saying the full phrase, "Oh my God". Due to the prevalence of the internet, I'm sure that is going to occur more often and there will probably be a time, in the near future, where the majority of people will say OMG, WTF, and other shorthand phrases instead of the full phrase. Oh well.

#40 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 9,051 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

OMG has the same amount of syllables as saying the full phrase, "Oh my God".

And WTF has MORE syllables...LOL! :huh:

#41 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

I can think of some situations where "Sometimes that never happens" could be used. For instance, if "sometimes" is used to mean "for some people" or "in certain cases." Though "never" could just as easily be "doesn't."

"I want this terminal illness to go away! When do I go into spontaneous remission?"
"Sometimes that never happens."

"Mom, how old will I be when I meet the love of my life?"
"Sometimes that happens when you're very young, sometimes that never happens."

That still doesn't really make sense. Sometimes can't be a qualifier for "some people." It's a word that describes the frequency of an event so any two of those in one sentence is contradictory. One would be better off by just saying the more appropriate words.

Besides, the context I hear people say those in isn't even really like that. It's more like they're just uncertain in their speech, and unaware that what they're saying is contradictory. It's akin to someone saying "Basically, the explanation is blah blah, basically."
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#42 wizardcombat

wizardcombat

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 9,051 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

VINYLS

I don't care, man. I still want the Brass2 vinyls I bought.

#43 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

So, who here is with me on "To beg the question"? I am of the opinion that begging the question has changed to mean something completely different, the popular interpretation makes more intuitive sense, and the old meaning is adequately replaced by "Circular logic".

#44 Riders

Riders

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I love this. because of Ricky from trailer park boys I always try and make a mental note of any time some one either on purpose or intentionally makes up a word or pronounces it wrong. I have a massive list not including trailer park boys words. These have all happened to me.

"in no time at all you will have this down pact." haha

" I pacifically told him not go in there" or " let's get Down to pacifics"

"I opened the email you sent me, but I must not have the right program becuase when I opened it the file came up as a bunch of pyroglyphics."

I personally hate when people say "for fucks sakes." with the s on sakes. And I've started noticing alot of people saying ek-cetera instead of et-cetera. Strange.
Check out my Band DARK WARRIORS

I've become a joke at this place.

#45 XMark

XMark

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I've kind of turned around on "I could care less". It doesn't logically work out, but I think of it as a sarcastic statement. Just like "Oh, great."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users