#1 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, why not?

With Dragon Quest X coming out in Japan soon, I think it's time we reminisce about the older games until it comes out in the states. Let's start with an appropriate video, shall we?

A custom AMV using cutscenes from Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

Where does Mario poop in the airship? Behind his chair? In Cappy?

#2 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, why not?

With Dragon Quest X coming out in Japan soon, I think it's time we reminisce about the older games until it comes out in the states. Let's start with an appropriate video, shall we?

A custom AMV using cutscenes from Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle Road Victory

That game is just cutscene mania, isn't it?
I wonder how much time you spend watching videos compared to actually issuing commands?

I've been playing Dragon Warrior II on and off.
Recently, I got a boat and sailed to Alefgard where I found Erdrick's Sword in Charlock Castle.

#3 Moniker

Moniker

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not sure if watching Dragon Quest or Dragon Ball Z, but that video was off the chain.

I have played Dragon Quest VIII and the DS remake of Dragon Quest V, both of which are terrific games imo. I would've played more of the series but the combat system gets really monotonous and doesn't seem to change much from game to game, considering how much time you have to spend in combat in DQ games it's a pretty big deal if the combat starts to wear on you.

Not really sure how this Dragon Quest "MMO" will work out, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

#4 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have played Dragon Quest VIII and the DS remake of Dragon Quest V, both of which are terrific games imo. I would've played more of the series but the combat system gets really monotonous and doesn't seem to change much from game to game, considering how much time you have to spend in combat in DQ games it's a pretty big deal if the combat starts to wear on you.

I think it was Danimal who said something like "Dragon Quest games are like AC/DC albums - you know what you're getting, and it fucking rocks."

I wish I could find my copy of V, I was really enjoying it but misplaced it somewhere. :(
Posted Image

#5 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

I think it was Danimal who said something like "Dragon Quest games are like AC/DC albums - you know what you're getting, and it fucking rocks."

I, too, have taken that to heart, because it's so true.

I thoroughly enjoyed 4, 6, and 9. I played through a bunch of 7, too, but then I was missing just a single tablet piece and had no idea where to find it. Eventually I moved on to something else. But I had a good time up to that point.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#6 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#7 GENTLYPORKING

GENTLYPORKING

Out for Revengeance

• Members
  • 13,078 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

While I like them, the problem is that I can't really separate any of them. The stories are charming, battles engaging and the art is great. However, they're just carbon-copies of one-another.

these hilary clinton-looking women must be pressing their buttholes right up against the sides of the stall and letting it rip.

icing bag style.

#8 chronolever

chronolever

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm currently playing through the DS remake of V and I am totally loving it. I might have to put it up there with one of my favorite RPGs ever. Just something about it, makes it real special. I can't think of any specific moments, but there were plenty of times playing the game when I thought, "this is really special!"

Get DO.DAT YASELF an EP with songs made entirely in Warioware: D.I.Y.!

#9 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'm currently playing through the DS remake of V and I am totally loving it. I might have to put it up there with one of my favorite RPGs ever. Just something about it, makes it real special. I can't think of any specific moments, but there were plenty of times playing the game when I thought, "this is really special!"

i wonder if it has anything to do with

Spoiler

or maybe it's the great soundtrack. but it's definitely one of my favorites in the series. man. now i need to go play through it again. (:

the DQ series is definitely one of my favorites. ranked just a bit below ultima.

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#10 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I played through a bunch of 7, too, but then I was missing just a single tablet piece and had no idea where to find it. Eventually I moved on to something else. But I had a good time up to that point.

I remember similar frustrations with that game, and I think part of that is why I've never replayed it. 7 and 9 are the only ones I've never replayed, and 9 only because of the single save file. 6 was similar in the trouble finding out where to go department too, and I only ever replayed that one because of the DS remake.

I'd say the best ones are 3, 4, 5, and 8.
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#11 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,641 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I've only played 1, 2 and 9. I always hated 1 because of the stupid fucking stairs option (still stupid BTW) but grew to love the superior GBC port.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#12 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

http://www.animecraz...oken-episode-1/

Was looking up info on the Dragon Warrior anime I barely remember and ran across this

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#13 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

I never actually played an entire Dragon Quest game until Dragon Quest VIII on PS2, I did play Dragon Warrior on the NES a little bit as a kid, but who the hell didn't? I beat the game and did the post game story stuff in DQ VIII. In total, I played it for about 90 hours, and I think I was only about level 50 by that point (I didn't know any tricks for killing metal slimes).

Heh, then I think my next Dragon Quest game was Rocket Slime on the DS, which is very different from traditional Dragon Quest games, but it was still really fun.

If any of you have neglected to play Dragon Quest Swords on Wii, I'd really recommend it. It's totally worth the $20 or less you can get it for these days. It is a game that would greatly benefit from Wii motion +, but it was made well before Wii motion +, so the accuracy of the controls can get frustrating. Also, there's no nunchuk option, so you have to move around using the D-pad, which is a little awkward. Control gripes aside, I really loved it, and it's not a huge time sink like all the traditional Dragon Quest games. You can play through it the first time in 15 hours or so, and that's including revisiting some stages to level up and take different paths.

Dragon Quest IX is the one that I absolutely couldn't stop playing. I spent over 500 hours on it, and I still didn't complete my Alchenomicon. I did manage to get enough unique tags to level my hotel up entirely, though. I wanted to get another copy for replaying when Best Buy had them for $7, but it sold out too quickly. Also, my main character that I created was Crono. Did anybody else do that?

I did eventually get the DS remake trilogy. I played IV, VI, and then V because it was out of stock for so long. And of course I loved them all.

I'm pretty annoyed that Square-Enix and Nintendo didn't release the Wii Dragon Quest collection in the U.S. I haven't actually played Dragon Quest I, II, and III, so I was really looking forward to it.

I've considered trying to track down the PS1 version of DQ VII, but I plan to just wait for the eventual 3DS remake.

As for Dragon Quest X, it looks awesome, but I'm not sure about it. Is it entirely MMO? If there's some sort of single player aspect to it similar to Dragon Quest IX? Well, whatever the case, I'm sure I'll get it at some point at lest to try it. I'll get the Wii U version for the graphical upgrade. That is assuming they even release it in the U.S.

So, that's my history with Dragon Quest that I'm sure nobody cares about.

I'd also like to mention that Ryan8bit's Dragon Quest IX Celestial Observatory cover is one of my favorite DoD songs ever. This is far from the quality of Ryan8bit's song, but here's a cover of the Dragon Quest V overworld that Careless and I did for SnappleMan's birthday themed punchfest:

#14 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

If Dragon Quest X plays similar to how Dragon Quest IX did, then I'd be way into it.
But, there is one thing that's a real deal-breaker for me.
If you have to pay a monthly fee to play it online, then I'll just forget the game exists.

#15 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

If Dragon Quest X plays similar to how Dragon Quest IX did, then I'd be way into it.
But, there is one thing that's a real deal-breaker for me.
If you have to pay a monthly fee to play it online, then I'll just forget the game exists.

It will, in Japan at least.

In an interesting twist, however, it will be free to play on the weekends.

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

Where does Mario poop in the airship? Behind his chair? In Cappy?

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users