107 replies to this topic

#16 DragnBreth

DragnBreth

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

6/11... I do believe that is a step up from my last few entries. This calls for a celebration *grabs second cup of coffee*.

I'm kinda surprised Slam Shuffle didn't do better. Buuuuut that might be my FFVI bias talking.

Edit: Oh yeah, and about the weak guitar - This is the piece of junk I record with. Yeah, 'nuff said. :/ And I think I broke it the last time I tried fixing the innotation issues...
Needless to say, as soon as I can get my lazy butt out to Guitar Center or the like, there will be a new guitar. And it won't be on clearance... from ThinkGeek... *palmface*

#17 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

I had a weak snare?! People need to make up their minds, I get bullied for having loud and compressed drums so I pull back on the drums and now i have a WEAK SNARE? I feel like my manhood is being called into question here

It's not the presence of the drums that's being called into question here; take a listen to some really solid snare sounds on rock and metal albums, like...I dunno, Jeff Loomis' solo stuff and Nevermore, Devin Townsend's "Deconstruction" and stuff. Then listen to yours. When the ratio of attack volume to sustain volume is almost equal, and the sustain isn't a desirable one as demonstrated here, it weakens the strength of the attack, thus making a really weak and sloppy sound.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#18 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

I was really questioning the addition of vocals into my song knowing that they would polarize. I was very hesitant at their inclusion, and almost stripped them, but then I became attached to the lyrics and how fitting they were for the game. Nevertheless, since I was so borderline, I thought I'd do a version without, and here it is:

LINKY

This entry marked my first time ever playing or miking piano for an entry.
Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#19 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dude, pingo's alt is hands down my favorite track this month! I like metal but there's so much of it that the non metal tracks stand out to me more often. That's probably why Hat is usually my favorite haha

astroman.gif Dj5ZiPN.png

#20 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Juja!! The snaily song made me really happy! I was wandering around with a big goofy smile for a while :-D

That was the purpose of the song. Actually ranking pretty well was just a bonus.

That new version of the Dragon Quest V song is pretty schweet. I'm sorry that I must've seemed like a dick before, but I really couldn't listen to the second half of the song. Was the second half supposed to be like a joke song? I know you guys like to do stuff like that sometimes.

#21 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Despite the tiny penis and weak snare, I liked your song best Mr. Strader.

I also felt that Omigadrive scored a little too low, but maybe I'm biased over the use of Star Ocean 2 music.

I had a weak snare?! People need to make up their minds, I get bullied for having loud and compressed drums so I pull back on the drums and now i have a WEAK SNARE? I feel like my manhood is being called into question here

It's not the presence of the drums that's being called into question here; take a listen to some really solid snare sounds on rock and metal albums, like...I dunno, Jeff Loomis' solo stuff and Nevermore, Devin Townsend's "Deconstruction" and stuff. Then listen to yours. When the ratio of attack volume to sustain volume is almost equal, and the sustain isn't a desirable one as demonstrated here, it weakens the strength of the attack, thus making a really weak and sloppy sound.

Eh, still there are tons of great songs that have terrible snares TBH.

But at least Brandon you have somewhere to go from here I guess. Meet in the middle.
bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

#22 Garpocalypse

Garpocalypse

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Whoo! Actually finished.

A part of me was worried that my song wouldn't actually count as Garpocalypse pointed out since I think the only real town theme in there is the first part of the song from the town of Harley. The bulk of it is the L'aqua music which is technically a military base filled with NPC's (Haven't finished SO2 yet so all I've seen is that it's basically a town anyway) and the last part is the night theme from Arlia which is more of a cutscene in a town thing than the actual town theme.

Didn't mean to try to out your mix Omiga :) That l'aqua music also played at the front of Laqour. The base had a name but it escapes me right now, but it did have a shop, a place to rest, and npc's not trying to kill you so it passed the rules of what a "town" was. I was trying to point out that someone was thinking outside the box a bit. :)

Other than a weak low end (which i took out during mastering on purpose because i thought i was onto something with clarity) did anyone have any more crits for Valhorteka? Was it DoD metal overload? Too repetitive? Too much Finntroll esque Kick-Snare-Kick-Kick-Snare?

Speaking of that how was my snare? ^^

#23 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

I also felt that Omigadrive scored a little too low, but maybe I'm biased over the use of Star Ocean 2 music.

Never said there weren't. I said to listen to solid snare sounds on rock and metal albums.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#24 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Never said there weren't. I said to listen to solid snare sounds on rock and metal albums.

Never said you said there weren't.

Just pointing it out to be a bastard.

Sometimes, snares sound bad as a trade off for getting other parts of the mix to sound better. It varies so much it's incredible.
bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

#25 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

The implication that it isn't immediately obvious that good songs have bad snares sometimes...has a similar effect.

#26 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

The implication that it isn't immediately obvious that good songs have bad snares sometimes...has a similar effect.

Maybe you guys should have a separate Dwelling of Snares competition to settle it once and for all. Basically, you guys will put songs together that are made up of nothing but snare drums.

#27 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Dwelling of Duels: College Snare Ensemble Month.
bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

#28 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Oh man, my snare rolls and fills are unbeatable by all but ShawnPhase.

Bonkers, WELCOME TO DIE.

#29 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,386 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

GEEEEEEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my reviews:

Castlevania 2
Great instrument sounds, but the strings are a bit fake for my tastes. Awesome organ, especially when it pops out at 1:29! Cool arrangement of familiar tunes. I thought it kinda dragged. All in all I prefer the originals to this arrangement, so after the novelty of this new arrangement style wears off to me, I get kinda bored. Probably just because of how familiar I am with the originals, though.

Crusader of Centy
I loooove integration of chip instruments! Usually I'd be skeptical of that blend, but you made it work wonderfully.

Dragon Quest 5
Excellent first half! I love the instruments' tones, and the arrangement.

Very creative use of vocals! Really good arranging here. Great production.

Fester's Quest
Sooooo good! I'm not sure how much arranging or straight-covering was done here, but this song totally rocks! A little sloppy playing, especially on the fast descending runs, and the ascending triplets, but it's not too distracting. Great job, this song is super fun! Is that a real bass? I hope so!

FF 7,9, Gotta Catch a Flight
Super crisp mixing/mastering!
I love the drums, guitar tone, and the synth! I'm not familiar with the FF9 music, but it sounds cool

I didn't really like the FF7 arrangement. Again, great production, but I don't think the original tune lends itself well to this rock style.

Miracle Warriors
I don't like the lead guitar tone. I personally kinda hate wah-guitar solos.

The mixing/mastering seems to be missing lots of highs.

I'm not familiar at all with the original, but this track is just kinda boring to me.

Ragnarok Online
Awwwwesome! Not familiar with the original, but this sounds like a great arrangement! Good tones and instrument choices all around, great style.

Yeah, nothing bad to say about this one.

Skies of Arcadia
Cool synths!

Not much to say, it sounds great!

Snailiad
ooh real bass? We should start listing real instruments before the voting.

The fake accordion is too fake-sounding for my taste. Good bass and guitar playing! The song is kinda fun, but doesn't hold my attention too well.

Star Ocean 2
The intro rocks! The lead guitar playing is awesome, but the tone is just shy of great. I'm not sure why.

I love the use of sequenced piano! I feel like it's usually mixed a bit too loud, though. Good drum mixing, but the snare stands out a bit too much. The bass drum is amazing.

#30 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Oh man, my snare rolls and fills are unbeatable by all but ShawnPhase.

Demonstray, Get lose, you can't compare with my powers!
.I know you want me to be die!

Demonstray, Get lose, you can't compare with my powers!
.I know you want me to be die!

bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users