558 replies to this topic

#31 WilliamTheBard

WilliamTheBard

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I recently moved, and even though everybody thought I was crazy for doing it, I held on to our two CRTs rather than donate them to Goodwill and save space. One is a normal Zenith 27", but it's the first large purchase I ever made with my own money, and it has provided me so many years of trouble-free service (and countless video games played on it).

Yeah man, good times. I had a 13" CRT that I bought when I was 13 with my own money. It lasted me until I was nearly 30 but all the buttons had fallen off and the picture was starting to go so I took it to electronic recycling. It was actually sad. God's speed, Magnavox 13" Color TV! So many late-night VHS sessions... so many memories.

#32 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

If I'm running an emulator, I don't like to use any filters but when it comes to the actual console, I would love to pick up a CRT. Maybe a Sony Wega 27", or a Sony Trinitron. Those are supposed to be really good quality CRTs. In my experience with older games on LCDs, I find that the games just look worse. They're stretched out and the colors seem off.

1. I personally like using filters. Even if it's just a simple 2x filter. I use NTSC filters most of the time.
2. Games DO look worse on LCDs, LCDs usually have poor black levels, poor color accuracy on average. Not to mention panel response time can make the pictures even blurrier in motion. If you get an LCD, look for one that has been shown to have excellent color accuracy and black levels. (Better yet get a Plasma, it's about as close to CRT level blacks and color accuracy as you can get. But if you have to have an LCD, look for one specifically with an IPS or S-IPS panel. I've got an LG with an S-IPS panel. Color accuracy is very good, even if black levels are on the light side)

LCD TVs though in general. Most have a panel resolution of 1920x1080. That's 2,073,600 pixels. And if you have an old games console. And you are using Composite, you are most likely sending it a poor 240p (320x240) signal(And that's even if the LCD supports 240p. Many don't) Which is only 76,800 pixels. Only 3% the resolution of a 1080p TV.
LCD's don't usually handle non-native resolution like CRTs do.  And going to extremes like 240p/480i are going to present an extremely poor result almost 100% of the time without a scaler(480p can be ok). Most internal LCD scalers have problems with just scaling 720p to 1080p(Which can result in even MORE input latency)

The other advantage that CRT monitors held over LCD screens is the ability to easily scale to various resolutions. This is referred to as multisync by the industry. By adjusting the electron beam in the tube, the screen can easily be adjusted downward to lower resolutions while keeping the picture clarity intact.

The most notable disadvantage to LCD screens is their fixed or native resolution. An LCD screen can only display the number of pixels in its matrix and no more or less. It can display a lower resolution in one of two ways. Using only a fraction of the total pixels on the display or through extrapolation. Extrapolation is a method whereby the monitor blends multiple pixels together to simulate a single smaller pixel. This can often lead to a blurry or fuzzy image particularly with text when running the screen below is native resolution.

http://compreviews.a.../a/CRTvsLCD.htm

bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

#33 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

My fiancee moved in recently along with her 27" Sony WEGA Trinitron. It's a really nice TV in great condition that she got off of Craiglist for $50 a few years ago. The couple she bought it from had bought it like a year earlier for a lot more and then decided to upgrade to HD and sell their old set. I haven't done much gaming on it, but I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces after I move to a house next month and can more easily house small, local shizz gatherings. It's got support for S-Video although I don't have any of those cables.

Honestly I much prefer to play my old games on my HDTV. I've got an XRGB-2+ and games look pretty good if I've got an RGB or SCART cable. It's easy to adjust the image sharpness or fake scanlines. The only downside is that older systems that don't have RGB output, like the NES, look like crap. I guess that's why it's good that I still have the SDTV. For anyone looking for info on hardware to play your old games on your LCD TV, this is the site you need to read. I really hope someone comes out with a dedicated hardware device in the future that has all of the filtering options available on emulators. I'd love to play my old systems on my HDTV with really sexy CRT emulation.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#34 Bonkers

Bonkers

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

My fiancee moved in recently along with her 27" Sony WEGA Trinitron. It's a really nice TV in great condition that she got off of Craiglist for $50 a few years ago. The couple she bought it from had bought it like a year earlier for a lot more and then decided to upgrade to HD and sell their old set. I haven't done much gaming on it, but I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces after I move to a house next month and can more easily house small, local shizz gatherings. It's got support for S-Video although I don't have any of those cables.

Honestly I much prefer to play my old games on my HDTV. I've got an XRGB-2+ and games look pretty good if I've got an RGB or SCART cable. It's easy to adjust the image sharpness or fake scanlines. The only downside is that older systems that don't have RGB output, like the NES, look like crap. I guess that's why it's good that I still have the SDTV. For anyone looking for info on hardware to play your old games on your LCD TV, this is the site you need to read. I really hope someone comes out with a dedicated hardware device in the future that has all of the filtering options available on emulators. I'd love to play my old systems on my HDTV with really sexy CRT emulation.

Could not agree with this any more. That site is an incredible read. I check it once every few months for more updates.

Also, you could always get your NES/Fami RGB modded, but the result isn't so perfect (mostly just color wise AFIK)and you lose the benefit of how dithered graphics were designed to take advantage of Composite. But from what i've seen it looks all sharp and pixel perfect as can be.

Speaking of NES. The NES Emulation on the Wii U looks pretty good on an LCD (Less so on the gamepad, but mostly just to reduced color resolution and typical video stream artifacts.). The NES Emulation in Wii mode, i'm not so sure about. Only game i've played is River City Ransom in 2-player mode and it was slowdown city. But IIRC the game was originally like that on the real console wasn't it?

bonker2s.gifPSYMAN

#35 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

The NES Emulation in Wii mode, i'm not so sure about. Only game i've played is River City Ransom in 2-player mode and it was slowdown city.

That's how the NES game was, FYI.

but I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces after I move to a house next month and can more easily house small, local shizz gatherings

GIGGITY!

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#36 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I recently moved, and even though everybody thought I was crazy for doing it, I held on to our two CRTs rather than donate them to Goodwill and save space. One is a normal Zenith 27", but it's the first large purchase I ever made with my own money, and it has provided me so many years of trouble-free service (and countless video games played on it).

For a long, long time I had an old 19" Zenith TV, probably older than I am (and I'm nearly 29). The kind with faux-wood panels, the two big, hard to turn clicky dials and nothing but an RF input and a mono speaker. It was our main TV growing up until our house got hit by lightning and it went on the fritz. We got a new 27" Magnavox with all the bells and whistles of the mid-90s like SmartSound and two RCA inputs, and it was pretty nice. But just for kicks we took that old Zenith to our trusted TV repair guy (remember when you didn't just throw electronics in the trash?) and he got that old gal working pretty good. Just a little bit of discoloration around the top left corner, but nothing unbearable. I put that thing in my room and hooked my games up to it. I never had a TV in my room until then, so I was stoked to finally have what my friends had well before me. Throughout middle school and high school I spent so much time playing DKC, Mario RPG, Kirby's Superstar, and all sorts of other games while blasting Weezer out of my little boombox CD player. When I took off for college I brought the Zenith with me and its warm glow was a comfort after my friends and I got hell of stoned and needed occupied. I was even playing PS2 and GameCube games on it at this point, but I distinctly remember my buddy Kirk spending a few nights running through Star Tropics on it.

Eventually when TVs started getting really cheap in the early 2000s I spent $100 on a new 19" CRT with stereo sound and RCA inputs. Smaller, lighter and better in nearly every way. But I don't have the memories, the stories to tell of this TV. It was just a TV. A drab black hunk of uncharacteristic plastic that served its purpose and nothing more. Eventually I bought an HD LCD but I never really liked that thing much, and I didn't even bother to take it with me to Phoenix. Instead my sister uses it sometimes.

I don't know what happened to that old Zenith. I doubt we threw it out, that wasn't like us. I vaguely recall giving it to someone else who needed a TV, but I honestly can't say for sure. I hope it made it to a good home but I can't fool myself into believing that it's still in use somewhere.

On that old TV I watched my first episode of The Simpsons in 1989. On Christmas day, 1990, I hooked up my brand new NES up to it and had my mind blown by Super Mario Bros. In middle school it was my trusted friend during the most awkward years of my life. In high school it became the old friend I'd come back to between skateboarding sessions. In college it helped me through the social anxiety of being around a whole bunch of people I didn't know. These days a TV is just a TV, but that damn Zenith was by my side from before I could walk to when I could barely walk from college debauchery. 

RIP, my Zenith. 19XX - 200X(?)

<3333

toopunk2lose.png

#37 Guest_MetalBishop_*

Guest_MetalBishop_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

http://www.retrogami...verter-bnc.html

oh man.... the things I buy in the name of video gaming.

#38 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm going to be honest.... I'm done with CRTs.  When I run a game through them, it doesn't look like a remember, it looks about 10x worse than I remember.  Running straight into an LCD works for me, or better yet, using a quality emulator for perfect digital pixels.

Huh, what kind of CRT(s) have you been using?  Any decent quality CRT TV is going to look way better for a standard definition signal, for reasons already noted in this thread.  Just like LCD monitors, LCD TV's just aren't meant to be run in anything but their native resolution, especially HDTVs.  I almost never use my consoles anymore because they look like such ass on my TV.  I have an old 20" JVC in my parents' basement that I'd rather use, but no room for it, so I usually just end up emulating on my Wii, which still doesn't look as good but is better than running composite into LCD.  Some good memories with that TV, especially playing Smash TV and other stuff with house and MegaMatt.

#39 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

http://www.retrogami...verter-bnc.html

oh man.... the things I buy in the name of video gaming.

BNC is srs bsnss

You will control a battletoad

#40 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

800th post is dedicated to all of the free CRT TV's I've gotten on craigslist throughout the years, and the 32oz Asahi right next to me

tumblr_l0w3iatftU1qzylvvo1_400.gifPopful_Mail_(Sega_CD)_34.gif

#41 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm going to be honest.... I'm done with CRTs.  When I run a game through them, it doesn't look like a remember, it looks about 10x worse than I remember.  Running straight into an LCD works for me, or better yet, using a quality emulator for perfect digital pixels.

Huh, what kind of CRT(s) have you been using?  Any decent quality CRT TV is going to look way better for a standard definition signal, for reasons already noted in this thread.  Just like LCD monitors, LCD TV's just aren't meant to be run in anything but their native resolution, especially HDTVs.  I almost never use my consoles anymore because they look like such ass on my TV.  I have an old 20" JVC in my parents' basement that I'd rather use, but no room for it, so I usually just end up emulating on my Wii, which still doesn't look as good but is better than running composite into LCD.  Some good memories with that TV, especially playing Smash TV and other stuff with house and MegaMatt.

Some Panasonic.  I don't know, I tried playing Secret of Mana on it a couple months back.  The way the screen curved, the color quality... it was just a huge shock after playing on plasma, lcd and emulators

#42 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

My fiancee moved in recently along with her 27" Sony WEGA Trinitron. ...It's got support for S-Video although I don't have any of those cables.

Never mind, it has component too. Now just to get a RGB/SCART to component converter... should be glorious.

#43 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I love my Trinitron.  I've had it for a little over a year.  It's been a while since I was researching but I believe it was one of the biggest CRTs available to the public in the early 2000s (32-34 inch?).  You can usually find then on Craigslist for 40-50 bucks.  The fucker is easily 200lbs.  It's the heart of my retro console setup.  I've got about 10 consoles or so set up for RGB output on it.  It's my favorite thing that I never have time to use!

My phone takes awful pictures but....

IMAG0202.jpg

shitty is now.

#44 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

woah, that's just like my old CRT, CC. I donated it because picture quality was going down the tubes and since I pipe my computer through my TV it just looked like shit on component, its best input. Got a 32" LCD and I'm never going back...my only regret is to never play Hogan's Alley at home again, with the current setup.

#45 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've got about 10 consoles or so set up for RGB output on it.

What are you using to convert the RGB to component? Assuming your TV has the same inputs as mine...

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crt, video games, hot buns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users