558 replies to this topic

#541 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

That gave me an idea: Use the SNES Classic controllers with my Wii classic running emulators on Homebrew.  Input lag really isn't bad, and with the right filter (I say that because some of them don't display the colors properly) it looks 1000x better than composite output from a real NES / SNES.  It's quite a bit better than S-Video even.  As an added bonus, the buttons were already set up how I'd use them playing NES: Y = B, B = A, the right two buttons are the same except auto fire.

4m2JKOvh.jpg

#542 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

Dude the Wii can be configured to output legitimate 240p without filters. It's a great way to play emulators on a CRT.

amTr0fm.png

#543 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Waaait what?  How?  I guess I need to look into updating my setup, because I'm running Homebrew from like, 2012.  So rather than using something like RetroArch, it has individual emulators ported from PC versions (I think for NES / SNES, FCEU and SNES9x).  And you definitely can't specify output signal in those.

#544 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

It's good but it's still no 1chip

http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html

WiiPage04.jpg

UAV3t1p.png

#545 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

Interesting.  I actually think the Wii looks better in some of those. 

Wii on the right here.  Perhaps it's not as accurate of a color representation, but it looks more vibrant to me.

WiiPage06.jpg

#546 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Man if only I cared about fidelity at that level of detail. Hell, I'm fine with S-video most of the time!

amTr0fm.png

#547 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Here's a mainstream article about CRTs. https://www.theverge...-gaming-vintage

I didn't know that there was a 43-inch PVM. 441 pounds!

You will control a battletoad

#548 Guest_MetalBishop_*

Guest_MetalBishop_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Here's a mainstream article about CRTs. https://www.theverge...-gaming-vintage

I didn't know that there was a 43-inch PVM. 441 pounds!

NEET!

#549 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

That's good shit. I hope everyone in this thread who wants to use CRTs goes through the process of learning to repair/care for them, cuz using these is gonna become harder as the years progress, and I hope to be getting blasted with dat radiation well into my 80s.

amTr0fm.png

#550 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

I've pretty much given up on HDTVs for non-HD sources. My last holdout on my HDTV was my OXbox with CoinOPS through component but lag was murdering the arcade experience. The only thing left technically is my HDMI VHS/DVD combo with a built-in upscaler that doesn't ruin the VHS look. Once the switcher gets here arcade scanlines will be back for good!

This is actually very freeing for me. When I bought my HDTV (my first) in 2012 I was very concerned about how my retro games would look on it. I made sure to get a plasma and tried to get one with manageable lag for the time. I did the best i could, but it ultimately became a Sysepheian effort. Sure, Atari looked fine but lag and all these other little annoyances continued to mount like squishy pixels and reds turning maroon. Now they barely make plasmas and LCD still sucks at non-HD. So if my HDTV dies I can just get an LCD like a Normal.

You will control a battletoad

#551 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

Reading back through this thread I realized I made a mistake when I criticized PVMs as having overly thick scanlines, I meant BVMs, those things are not ideal for games regardless of what the internet says.

amTr0fm.png

#552 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

‚Äč
Spoiler

amTr0fm.png

#553 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:01 AM

Give me the deets! What TV are you playing on? Is that an RGB-modded NES?

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#554 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

I'm testing out line doubling on a VGA monitor, the NES is just an emulator. So far everything works great except the monitor takes a split second to change resolutions, which doesn't mean anything for NES, most SNES, and most Genesis games, but with SotN every time I go into the menu I hear and see the monitor switch resolution (a standard TV would just do it seamlessly). I know the PS1 does 240p and 480i, but when it switches the menu resolution it's still in progressive mode, so I don't know why it needs to switch at all. 

Also this monitor doesn't do interlaced modes, so when the Sony logo is displayed during PS1 bootup it looks like a progressive scan image with no jitter. I think I'll keep just emulators on the VGA monitor though, running at  native refresh rates with MAME or Retroarch, so I better stop all this before I get tempted to start buying 480p upscalers.

But yeah, I've been researching the differences between PVMs and BVMs and since BVMs are so close to VGA monitors in their dot pitch I figured it was a good way to get some super fatass scanlines. They're a little too much for me, but the sharpness and clarity in the colors is ridiculous.

amTr0fm.png

#555 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:02 AM

Go big scanline or go home.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crt, video games, hot buns