http://www.armcannon.com/danimal/YEAH.mp3

#32 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

did you seriously do all of Lower Norfair AND fight Ridley AND WIN without the Varia suit? My mind is all kinds of fucked right now...

Thank you for putting into words exactly what I was thinking.

As Zoast was going through Norfair, I kept thinking to myself that, while a lot of these rooms have acid/heat/whatever problems, the Ridley room must not.  I've never tried turning off Varia, ever, so I didn't know, but I figured that it had to be that way, if he was going after Ridley without the Varia suit.  Imagine my surprise when I was totally wrong.  I have trouble winning that fight without hemorrhaging HP for merely existing.

My mind was also blown the first time that he started the wall-jump-climb.  Samus Hayabusa.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#33 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,294 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

My mind was also blown the first time that he started the wall-jump-climb.  Samus Hayabusa.

+1. It's funny because it's true, and impressive!

I wish there were more posts from Zoast in this thread so I could +1 them.

#34 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

That particular skill didn't impress me because I can do it... but the rest of it... man. I'm tempted to try a no suit run. Actually, I just want to do the first part where you kill Ridley. If I'm not worried about time and can save all I want, I think I could manage it. Could be a fun challenge. But going through Maridia backward... not sure I want to do that. I could just quit after Ridley.

#35 Nario

Nario

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,294 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I can do it too, but not as often and as well as Zoast.

#36 Sam

Sam

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

That particular skill didn't impress me because I can do it

I can do it too, but not as often and as well as Zoast.

What kind of sick wizards are you people?

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

you will die of sodium poisoning before you ever take me with enough grains of salt.

Perhaps the same can be said of all birth control. But enough posting- have at you!

#37 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

The sort that are too impatient to use the regular platforms I guess :)

I just realized I can still remember learning to wall jump. Getting stuck in the pit with the little green guys and having to fight my way out and being all like FINALLY.

#38 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ugh, being forced to learn how to wall jump was where my friend and I turned the game off, we didn't have the patience or reflexes for that at the time. Now it's pretty damn easy...but doing it off frozen enemies, up tiny chimneys (what a fucking weirdass word), as part of a shinespark, etc...hah, forget it!

#39 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm not quite as good at 1 wall jumping as I thought. I can do it, but if I have to do anything fancy like roll into a ball at the top to get into a tight space, I'm prone to psyching myself out and somehow botching the timing. So far my RBO (no suit) slow mo run is going well. Since I can take my time, I can pick up a lot more powerbombs and super missiles than zoast did and abuse the crystal flash a bit more to make up for the lack of varia suit. It's still pretty stressful though! And of course, I haven't actually beat Ridley yet. I'm just exploring Norfair looking for power ups. Once I have the ice beam I guess I will do the same in Maridia. I'm just happy to have a relatively legitimate reason to play the game in a new way. I need something like this for the original.

#40 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

ah crap, just looked at the deertier website... looks like someone submitted a time 2 minutes faster for RBO. by the way, I was just trying suitless maridia and I noticed you can cain a smidge of extra height by turning into a ball at the top of a jump. I used it to jump from frozen crabs to frozen fish. and also to climb up the last ledge before the door (I forgot the trick of flip jumping from the tiny ramps on the far walls)

#41 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

I used to think I was good at Super Metroid, back when I had a SNES. Beat the game in 1:03 once. That's a fairly respectable time, right? I mean, back when they published high scores and such in Nintendo Power, no one had a better one.

But what the fuck did I just watch? Am I dreaming? I can't believe some of the shit you pulled off in that RBO video.

Much respect, Zoast.

#42 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Now I have to play super Metroid again

Why would you ever stop?
To play FF6 and Dark Souls

I've never been able to 1wall jump with a controller

Dj5ZiPN.png

#43 travis

travis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Currently 9:30 into the RBO run. Holy shit. I didn't even know half of this shit was possible.

Zoast, I'm buying you a drink next time I see you. Hold me to that. Well done, my friend

hhLJkpL.png

#44 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm a couple hours in to my RBO run. I've pretty much obtained every possible power up outside of Maridia and lower Norfair. Once I clear out most of Maridia, I'm going to head down and see if I can manage to kill Ridley.

Suitless Maridia is turning out to be less tedious than I thought. I kind of like it actually. I've just realized you can wall jump upward in water as long as you have a columm one or two spaces wide. You only gain like two pixels of height with each jump, so you have to do a ton of them without screwing up at all.

#45 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

zoast, could you explain precisely how you went up to the mocktroid room in maridia? I see you grappled and then swung and got a bit of upward momentum and then you were going into morphball and backout again repeatedly. I can't seem to duplicate the upward motion. At the moment I'm trying to use the snail to climb which might work but is annoying and slow :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users