2974 replies to this topic

#2896 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

Chrono Cross never felt right to me even when I played it on release day.  It's still a decent game but CT blows it away.  If you want good PS1 era RPG's, play Suikoden 1 and 2.  They stand the test of time.

I'm playing Metroid Prime 2 right now and for the most part I'm enjoying it.  My only gripe is the bland environments.

UAV3t1p.png

#2897 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

I had a lot more fun playing Chrono Cross than I did CT, even though I think CT is a better made game. Same with Majoras Mask vs OoT, but in that case I think MM is much better designed. Janky sequels tend to appeal to me more than the mainstream counterparts for some reason.

amTr0fm.png

#2898 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

As for Chrono Cross [...] the graphics are horrible

Damn, I have heard a lot of complaints about this game, but never regarding the graphics. I thought everyone agreed on them being gorgeous! Especially the backgrounds...
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#2899 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

3D games of that generation seldom age well, even the best looking ones.

amTr0fm.png

#2900 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,092 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Chrono Cross is the video game equivalent of fanfic.
DNa7A7D.jpg

#2901 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:00 PM

I just finished Outer Wilds, and it might be one of the best blind exploration/“puzzle” games I’ve ever played. I genuinely did not want it to be over. Challenging mechanics without being too frustrating, and an amazing feeling of accomplishment as you figure out what’s happening and what you need to do.

#2902 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,092 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:54 AM

Started the Romancing SaGa 3 remake tonight. Quite intimated. Feels good in the best way possible.

DNa7A7D.jpg

#2903 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:56 AM

Maybe my gripes with Death Stranding are due to the fact that I'm exploding my fat ass open waiting for Shenmue 3 which after almost 20 fucking years is actually happening.

amTr0fm.png

#2904 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:12 AM

As for Chrono Cross [...] the graphics are horrible

Damn, I have heard a lot of complaints about this game, but never regarding the graphics. I thought everyone agreed on them being gorgeous! Especially the backgrounds...

Ah well the backgrounds are definitely beautiful, I'll give you that! It's everything that's 3D that looks like a mess, and unfortunately, there's a lot of it.

#2905 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

Dead Island Riptide is a big ol' fetch quest expansion of the first game, but actually kinda neat sometimes. Not as neat: they added new zombie types, animations, player attacks, abilities, and crafting options, but fixed exactly zero of the bugs that sometimes add or remove difficulty, but mostly force you to close and re-open the game in order to progress.

Also there are too many random encounters in Breath of Fire, but luckily there are items that stop the encounters entirely for a bit so you can play the fucking game sometimes. I've been using the shit out of those recently and now it feels like a video game!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#2906 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

A ways into Death Stranding. It kinda fucking stinks. I mean ok I knew that going into a Kojima game I got a 50/50 chance of spending $60 on a lemon, but this thing makes me feel bad when I play it, not even in a "this is boring" kind of way, but it's kind of de-enjoyable in that it seems to sap positive gameplay energy from other games I like around it. So far the plot is just "Amazon Prime ruined the world and now we'll use Amazon Prime to bring it back together" or some nonsense. I just had a character give me sad backstory about how their father had a dream of delivering packages to everyone in America and uniting the in love with packages or some nonsense, which on paper can make for a really stupidly great game, but the gameplay here is so bad that the dumb plot isn't even funny. It's like putting a halfway dried turd at the top of a slope and trying to control it's direction as it rolls down using a can of compressed air.

MGSV may have been unfinished but at least it had super great controls and mechanics that made it addicting to play. This is a straight up stinker. But I did pay $60 for it, so maybe in 20 more hours of gameplay it'll get better, or it'll be over, either way... :(

Oh and I feel pretty fucking offended by Kojima's blatant racism. The only way I can explain why he'd want me looking at a lumpy pale ogre like Norman Reedus for 80+ hours is that since all white people look so similar to him he can't tell that he chose one of our very ugliest representatives for his crappy game.

I beat Death Stranding last week and I loved it. All the other games I've played recently were pretty action-heavy so this one served as a nice refreshment.

#2907 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Making my way through MGS2, and while I like a lot of it, a lot of it is bullshit (and not the story elements). There are toooo many gotcha moments that wouldn't be a deal if the controls weren't constantly confusing the shit out of me. I am mostly enjoying it, but it also can really annoy the shit out of me.

toopunk2lose.png

#2908 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Once you get used to the controls in MGS2 it becomes really fun to play, even if the environments are all samey.

amTr0fm.png

#2909 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

I'm at hour 17 or so, in the 2nd core area, and I still find myself confusing one element for another :\

toopunk2lose.png

#2910 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:39 PM

get that fat azz over to strut B for some hard C ;)

amTr0fm.png

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Music AND video games, state of theshizz gaming, old people with no time, xblah, actually just watching stream

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users