Photo

do i only like nirvana because i'm old?

grunge singles cornell staley pearl jam clarissa cameron crowe river phoenix 12 guage

70 replies to this topic

#1 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

sequel to:

http://theshizz.org/...r-guns-n-roses/

so the 20th anniversary in utero is out. i'm waiting to get to a good sound system so i can can hear the 2013 mix fresh.

they also released the full live and loud show on dvd. i might buy it? i didn't buy paramount but i saw it

the nirvana vevo put up a bunch of live footage too. 3 songs from the last nirvana show that i'd never seen pro footage of. and some live and loud rehearsals which were cool.

this post sucks

anyway

i wish there was a nirvana thread where all the young kids told us that nirvana actually sucked and we only like them cus we're old.

i wish i had new ears and brain so i could listen to them out of context and be like wtf?
i know a lot of kids like them, but also a lot of kids like stuff that old men think is crap

I DONT NO

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#2 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

You like Nirvana because they were good. They paved the way for grunge and noise and punk. But, above all, they broke hair metal's grip on radio and MTV. For that we should be thankful.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#3 finbeard

finbeard

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

resident young kid here. kurt cobain died when i was 2.

i love Nirvana. they were the first band i heard when i got into rock music from later than the 60s that fundamentally changed my appreciation of the genre and music in general. i guess you could say it was kind of a combination of Nirvana and other noise rock/grunge stuff of the era more than any one of them individually, but i digress. Nirvana was kind of the first band i heard that showed me that music doesn't have to be conventionally pretty or pleasant to be good, or to be music in the first place.

basically yeah i like nirvana a lot and people of any age who say nirvana sucked are terrible and awful and Not Hip.

LONELYROLLINGSTARS MUSIC IS HERE

art is here

Finbread family estate.

#4 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

I feel the same way about Hall and Oates.

#5 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

to just answer the question, no.

but i've never liked nirvana.

they're important -- i get it.

i put nirvana in the same category as the beatles.

i don't like it, and i don't care about it, but it's never going away.

and it shouldn't go away b/c it is historically important. 

#6 MrBoglin

MrBoglin

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I listened to them when I was younger. I think they're over-rated and people only praise them so much because Kurt off'd himself. Hair metal would've died anyway without them. The music business just did what it always does - take something that's existed for quite some time and perpetuate the myth that it's "new".

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are way better bands from that time period, I think. 

#7 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

You like Nirvana because they were good. They paved the way for grunge and noise and punk. But, above all, they broke hair metal's grip on radio and MTV. For that we should be thankful.

Hate to break it to you, but hair metal is The Ultimate Music. Go listen to The Transformers movie OST and then force all of your Nirvana memorabilia down the garbage disposal B)

eKawlATs.jpg

#8 GENTLYPORKING

GENTLYPORKING

Out for Revengeance

• Members
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

While I didn't get into Nirvana until after Kurt's death (I was 8 at the time), it's still the band that started me on my own, independent love of music. I'll still pop in a Nirvana album once in a while and it's aged incredibly well. From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah is still one of my top favorite live albums of all time. 

these hilary clinton-looking women must be pressing their buttholes right up against the sides of the stall and letting it rip.

icing bag style.

#9 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Even I like Nirvana.

In high school, I once got a mosh pit injury to the head to Smells Like Teen Spirit bad enough I had to get stitches. The problem was it wasn't really a mosh "pit", but a dance in a large college gym at a state track meet. Instead of only being able to slam into someone from a few arm-lengths away, people were able to get up to a full run before hitting someone. I probably caught an elbow to the side of my head from a sprinter or a hurdler, because I didn't see him come or go. All I knew was that when I ran my hand through my hair a song or two later my hand came back dark with blood in the dim light of the gym.

But, all of this doesn't help, as I, too, am old.

banner.png

#10 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

It took me 10 years to like Nirvana. I didn't like what they "did" to the hair bands at the time, even though it wasn't really them. Metallica and Megadeth did more to kill the hair bands really.

You will control a battletoad

#11 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

syphilis also killed a lot of hair bands. 

#12 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Jan 1993 I was extremely sick for 3 days and spent another 2 recovering at home. I listened to my tape of Nevermind nonstop (broken up only by some REM) such that the physical medium got damaged to the point of the sound phasing in and out, like a rollercoaster. I can't remember how I discovered them but it was completely different than everything I was listening to at the time (Top 40). Although they weren't my gateway to good music, songs like Lounge Act and On a Plain were so damn important to me yet everyone was obsessed with Teen Spirit and Lithium, I didn't understand it (at the time).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind revisiting those times, receiving enlightenment as a music neophyte has been one of the most thrilling and edifying experiences in my life.

#13 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

They're not my cuppa, but I think "you only like x because nostalgia" is crap 99% of the time. Do I only like Bertie Higgins because I remember hearing Key Largo in the car when I was 3 years old? No, I like how it sounds.

Posted Image

#14 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

This whole Nirvana hate thing is as stupid as Beatles hate.  I still love them and I don't think it's because I'm old or wearing nostalgia shaded glasses.  One of my first CD's was Unplugged and I would fall asleep to it every night.  Cobain wrote really good songs and had all the right influences.  

In Utero is by far my favorite album by them because of how amazing the production is and the variation of songs.  I have fond memories of going over my highschool best friend's house and listening to it on repeat until the CD was worn out.  The 2013 mixes sound really good.  

UAV3t1p.png

#15 Rize

Rize

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Who hates the Beatles? They were incredible.

And honestly, I still the GnR's Illusion albums were great. Of course, Axl is a douchebag so that kinda fucks things up a little bit and makes it hard for people outside that time period to get into. It's a shame.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grunge, singles, cornell, staley, pearl jam, clarissa, cameron crowe, river phoenix, 12 guage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)