45 replies to this topic

#31 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

Dude I am glad this was bumped. I listened to the whole thing again at work a couple days ago. So god damn good. This needs to happen live. Like Beef-clef said, this is my ideal type of music. 

;)

#32 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

If this happens live, please film it, record it, take pictures and whatever else is possible, because living far away sucks. But thanks to youtube, it sucks a little less.

But yeah, this album is so damn good.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#33 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hey, it seems I didn't gave this album ANY love in this thread (I did in facebook, but that doesn't count, does it?)

So yeah, this album ROCKS, primey legacily. I have it on regular rotation on my phone. This and the Unsealed remake deserve more love in the internets and anywhere else!
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#34 travis

travis

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

I bought this album. Listened to it. Realized it was worth more than $2. So I literally just turned around and bought it a second time.

CarbohydroM is good. CarbohydroM live would be really good.
hhLJkpL.png

#35 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

Did CarboHydroM mention that he entirely rearranged and re-recorded his Zelda megamedley masterpiece "Unsealed"?

Because he totally did.

#36 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Oh man, it sounds great. I'm glad this was done. It's not weird at all that I have his whole discography on a burned CD in my car since like a year ago...

#37 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Just hearing this for the first time. For some reason, the blend of chiptune and guitar ends up sounding a lot warmer than I expected (in a good way). Sweet composition too. Great energy, kinda makes me want to work out or drive really fast.

#38 CarboHydroM

CarboHydroM

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Haha yeah, the 2014 version of Unsealed is out too (both as a single song and as a one track per chapter album one), but I have yet to publish a game-footage-based video on Youtube for it, so other than OCR's release and the listening party, I have not made a lot of effort to spread the news. :ph34r:

For some reason, the blend of chiptune and guitar ends up sounding a lot warmer than I expected (in a good way).

Thanks man ! You're spot on, there's a bit of production background here.

The NES triangle channel does not suffice to have a warm enough bass backbone with guitars. At first I just used EQ to correct that but I still felt it missed some frequencies. So I backed it with a subtle vst bass line one octave below.

Also, when I came up with the first song of the lineup (Unbreakable Wings) I noticed the pulse signals sounded good together (aesthetically) with the low volume rhythm guitars, but still fought with them to be heard. In the end I had to rely on a combination of volume automation, compression and EQ to get an acceptable turn out.

CHM

#39 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Compression of the square waves?

#40 CarboHydroM

CarboHydroM

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yeah uh... more limiting than compression the way I used it actually. And on a track where both pulse tracks are sent through, not each one separately.

CHM

#41 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

huh, I thought NES square waves were already pretty much at one volume, unless you program volume changes yourself.

#42 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

aaaand THIS is what there is to discuss about cool releases, isn't it pingo? ;)

eh, what's to discuss about cool releases? [...]

Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#43 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

haha well, yeah, when the releaser is in here giving cool insight and stuff to discuss!  Super down!

#44 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Carbo...while you're here: how do you get your lead guitar tone?

#45 CarboHydroM

CarboHydroM

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

huh, I thought NES square waves were already pretty much at one volume, unless you program volume changes yourself.

Indeed, the triangle channel is either muted or not, but the pulse channel can have volume envelopes, and I used that extensively in the album. So the compression did have an interesting effect when used like this. Although, in some songs (the epilogue especially) I did not use it because the dynamics meant to be there were just killed.

Carbo...while you're here: how do you get your lead guitar tone?

Sure man, I use an amp+cab modeling device, a VOX Tonelab EX these days. It's rather aggressive in that pretty much any guitar I use through it comes out with more or less the same tone - except I can still hear quite a difference between the one I use right now, an Ibanez RGD2127Z, and my old Epiphone SG Special for instance.

Past that it can depend on the song, but for leads I usually always rely on the same setting, which attempts to emulate a "US Hi-gain" amp (I think it sounds pretty close to a modern Marshall tube head), together with a VOX AC15 cabinet.

CHM

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chiptune, game, music, rock, carbohydrom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users