Photo

I've listened to the track Invisible Touch by Genesis over 40 time

Genesis Invisible Touch Phil Collins Spark Man Mega Man III Pacemaker Old Grand-dad Nothing could go wrong But now I know Mega Man IV

51 replies to this topic

#1 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I've listened to the Genesis track, Invisible Touch, off of the 1986 album of the same name, invisible Touch over 40 times today. It is actually my most listened to track via Winamp, as of this past 2 year span. It is probably my most listened to track ever. This track is excellently composed. Every time I listened to it today I heard a new layer, a new synth, a new world, lush and bright and 1st world and technologically but savagely noble all at the same time with no worry or care or limitation. Just endless progress and positivity and emotion and newborn vulnerability-like dew drops on lush plant life we life with symbiotically.

Let's cut to the chase. At certain parts of the pre-chorus, most notably when Phil croons "She's got something you just can't trust", you'll hear, in the clip below, right after "She's" an odd, grinding, metallic, electronic, supersonic sound. 

0:00 into 0:01 and 0:04 into 0:05.

You can also hear this when he says "She has a built in ability" and hints of it all through the song, I can't tell where, maybe on a synth backing once a bar? You can hear it like an angry wasp. I originally thought this weird ascending metallic buzzsaw sound was in Spark Man's stage, but now I only hear the same tone at certain parts. Then I thought Bright Man from Mega Man IV. Also sort of there, but not really. Where the hell did I imagine this sound from?! I'm certain it was a NES track.

Also, can we hear it for the Mega Man IV soundtrack? Absolute scum lifestyle this isn't appreciated more. I remember one thread someone made, best Mega Man things, it got 4th or 5th or something. Scum.

Regardless, what can I say? I failed miserably. I had a great idea and by the time I made this thread, I realized I had just dreamed, imagined the idea in my head and none of it was plausible and even true. Last night I had 4-5 dreams. One of them seemed to be set in the back-streets of European city, close, short, dark, intimate. I met two girls I know, only as associates, but who are both Beautiful. Another came buy, I knew this one from YouTube and assorted videos, I think. She has a valuable, attractive skull. In this dream, I had rode my bike to an establishment. I knew I could never be with any of these women, regardless of availability, due to my utter loserdom status, ugly features, inexperience, and general toxicity. At one point I pulled out my cellphone to check the time (to make the usual "I am too afraid and do not have enough self-esteem to be confident, and need a way out") on my phone. At this point, YouTube woman said "Wow. You seem to care more about the 1s and 0s than you do the beautiful women right in front of you. I didn't know what she meant, beyond binary language, but the idiocy of it offended me. I said, "What?" I then left, without an answer. I got on my road bike, "vintage", down tube shifters and terrible and rode over blocks of stone into the night.

I'm not sure what the track I was even thinking of was. Help me, or don't, and I'll die here, my fat, disgusting, moldy American bologna colored body will collapse in a heap resembling a heaping pile of beached Crisco jellyfish, slowly meant to decompose, dry out and lie on the earth like limitless amounts of lipid chains resigned to keratinocyte dust.

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#2 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Don't feeling like reading?

Try this. No reading neurons required, only click, and ear ones:

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#3 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

I can't think of anything I want to do forty times in one day.

#4 cacomistle

cacomistle

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

reminds me of Fire Man

70513658_10100195063969164_5277526380190

#5 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,457 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

i would say your skin is more of a salami like consistency

Posted Image

#6 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

did y'all realize that bright man is the only MM track (that I know of) that has a key change at the turnaround?

#7 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

She has a valuable, attractive skull. 

who is smoulkahontas, alex

thats a yamaha DX style sound. when i get home i'll make a video of that sound in action. it's used on guitar presets mostly. but i think what we are hearing in invisible touch is a pretty expert patch where that sound occurs when the player hits a chord at max velocity, and then it morphs into the smooth background strings you hear throughout. 

what an amazing era for music composition and recording. i can't say enough good things about it. we really reached a pinnacle there. we tore it all down needlessly. it became fodder for a larger revolution. a growing number of people come foreword and excavate parts of it, but it's value is mostly historic at this point. 

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#8 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

i took graduate-level economics as an undergrad b/c i was friends with the professor.

we were given an exam on the first day to determine the average knowledge-level of the class.

one of the questions read "what is the invisible hand?"

i did not know the answer, so i wrote out the lyrics to Invisible Touch.

today i can explain the invisible hand and i know the lyrics to invisible touch.

#9 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I feel like I hear that sound pretty regularly in Sonic music. I know that that sound is a default patch on my PreenFM synth. 

It's definitely in here. 

#10 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

thank you for letting me explore actual knobs and opm files in VOPM

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#11 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I feel like I hear that sound pretty regularly in Sonic music. I know that that sound is a default patch on my PreenFM synth. 

It's definitely in here. 

So who does the best Sonic 2 covers?

#12 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

XMark did a great (besides the drums IMO which I think are sequenced anyway) sort of Led Zeppelin-y version of Mystic Cave Zone and Chemical Plant Zone

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#13 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I get disappointed by most sonic covers... if it's a full band the drums are usually too lazy or not dancey enough. The only two sonic covers that get me super hyped are Sprite Slowdown's cover and the cover by Temp Sound Solutions.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#14 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ *cough cough*

#15 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ *cough cough*

Huh?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genesis, Invisible Touch, Phil Collins, Spark Man, Mega Man III, Pacemaker, Old Grand-dad, Nothing could go wrong, But now I know, Mega Man IV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users