2718 replies to this topic

#2701 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

i think i played and loved almost every 2.5D platformer on PS1.

music face, like a dying frankenstein, his jaw becomes dislodged....see the profile of him, the profile of shame

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2702 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

I like 2.5D games. Although I don't care for them when they use the mouse for aiming.

#2703 Tina

Tina

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Anybody who doesn't think Goemon's Great Adventure looks and plays amazing, fight me.

#2704 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

#2705 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

THIS. I don't think there's a 2.5D game [THAT I HAVE PLAYED] that I REALLY like visually, although, to be fair, MM11 looks pretty neat. It may be the only exception.

Ok, fix'd my post for the sake of clarity.
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#2706 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

Sine Mora is gorgeous and plays amazing. And it's 2.5D, right?

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#2707 Ranger

Ranger

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

This is a cool idea but confusing as hell to me.  The camera zoom / tilt is totally unnecessary and comes across as a way of being like HEY WE HAVE 3D THINGS CHECK THIS OUT!  

That said I do enjoy a lot of 2.5D games.  Even Smash Bros could be considered one.

#2708 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

THIS. I don't think there's a 2.5D game [THAT I HAVE PLAYED] that I REALLY like visually, although, to be fair, MM11 looks pretty neat. It may be the only exception.

Ok, fix'd my post for the sake of clarity.

Well now it's not that controversial.

#2709 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,604 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

Are the old Donkey Kong Country games 2.5D?  Those look and play great!

#2710 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Are the old Donkey Kong Country games 2.5D?  Those look and play great!

No, they're 2D games. The assets were created in 3D those were then pared down to be 2D. If the backgrounds were true 3D then it would be 2.5D. Donkey Kong Country Returns is 2.5D.

#2711 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Since I'm playing through the new Mega Man X Legacy Collection (input lag and all), I've decided to start an ongoing list of things I don't like about X3

- Getting hit takes way more of your life compared to X1-2. This makes the early game especially frustrating when you don't have heart tanks or upgrades

- I love Yamashita, but a lot of the music is kind of slow, plodding and uninspired for an X game. Hornet and Doppler are pretty good songs, but the fuzzy SNES bee guitars sound worse than the previous 2 games.

- Pacing. Maverick introductions and big explosions are slow, and they take too long. Some minibosses have a ton of invincibility frames, which drag out those fights. Not every level needs a drawn-out miniboss fight. X1-2 show that you can still have spectacle without breaking up the fast pace. Bosses also have more i-frames than before.

- The physics seems off in places. The slippery slopes and icy floors in Buffalo's stage are prime examples of janky physics. Of course you should slide somewhat, but to be launched in a direction when you can barely put up a resistance to correct your momentum?

- Less enemies that are unique to their environment / stages. You see the same few popcorn filler enemies everywhere throughout the game. Enemy spawn points are also at Ninja Gaiden levels of badness.

- There is no optimal stage order if you're going for boss weaknesses AND item pickups. You have to backtrack through at least half of the game if you want to get everything. Too many upgrades depend on getting other upgrades first, and many are un-intuitive like the boulders strapped to ceilings that are blocking items. Oh, you have to have to have Catfish's weapon and the buster charge upgrade because that makes total sense??????? And you can't unlock any mechs until you get the one in Hornet's stage, AND you need Rhino's weapon just to get that one? Metroid-style backtracking is out of place in a traditional stage-based Mega Man game. And then there's the way you have to get the killing shot on optional bosses with specific non-optimal weapons if you don't want them to come back for you later. How are you ever supposed to figure that out without looking it up?

- A lot of bosses can be taken down the same way - hanging out on the wall and getting in some pot shots when you have an opening. In fact, they can overpower me quickly unless I exploit their AI and get them stuck in a loop. It feels like I'm cheating instead of coming up with a legitimate strategy.

- Do dashing shots even do more damage? I'm not positive but it seems like they don't - during a boss fight they were still only doing 1 point of damage.

- I feel like there are more blind jumps and more gotcha damage / deaths as a result. The level design and enemy placement makes it so you are more vulnerable to being cheap-shotted by common enemies, if that makes sense.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#2712 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Since I'm playing through the new Mega Man X Legacy Collection (input lag and all), I've decided to start an ongoing list of things I don't like about X3

- Getting hit takes way more of your life compared to X1-2. This makes the early game especially frustrating when you don't have heart tanks or upgrades

- I love Yamashita, but a lot of the music is kind of slow, plodding and uninspired for an X game

- Pacing. Maverick introductions and big explosions are slow, and they take too long. Minibosses have a ton of invincibility frames, which drag out those fights. Not every level needs a drawn-out miniboss fight. X1-2 show that you can still have spectacle without breaking up the fast pace.

- The physics seems off in places. The slippery slopes and icy floors in Buffalo's stage are prime examples of janky physics. Of course you should slide somewhat, but to be launched in a direction when you can barely put up a resistance to correct your momentum?

- Less enemies that are unique to their environment / stages. You see the same few popcorn filler enemies everywhere throughout the game. Enemy spawn points are also at Ninja Gaiden levels of badness.

- There is no optimal stage order if you're going for boss weaknesses AND item pickups. You have to backtrack through at least half of the game if you want to get everything. Too many upgrades depend on getting other upgrades first, and many are un-intuitive like the boulders strapped to ceilings that are blocking items. Oh, you have to have to have Catfish's weapon and the buster charge upgrade because that makes total sense??????? And you can't unlock any mechs until you get the one in Hornet's stage, AND you need Rhino's weapon just to get that one? Metroid-style backtracking is out of place in a traditional stage-based Mega Man game. And then there's the way you have to get the killing shot on optional bosses with specific non-optimal weapons if you don't want them to come back for you later. How are you ever supposed to figure that out without looking it up?

- A lot of bosses can be taken down the same way - hanging out on the wall and getting in some pot shots when you have an opening. In fact, they can overpower me quickly unless I exploit their AI and get them stuck in a loop. It feels like I'm cheating instead of coming up with a legitimate strategy.

- Do dashing shots even do more damage? I'm not positive but it seems like they don't - during a boss fight they were still only doing 1 point of damage

Couldn't agree more.
Also, these.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#2713 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Yamashita is a class act, but her work can really be hit-or-miss. For every Almana no Kiseki, there's a Power-Blade-track-with-that-awful-whistle-sound

#2714 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

I like the Blizzard Buffalo theme

#2715 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:10 AM

There are some good tracks on 3, for sure, but there's a fair bit that's not quite fitting with the stages, and it's definitely the weakest soundtrack of the 3. Zero's theme is pretty bomb, though.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuck mega man, fuck my neighbors barking do, fuck life, fuck you, fuck it all, fucking no regrets, the musics fine, fuck the foot, i hate mega fucker, i ate 5 donuts for dinner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users