633 replies to this topic

#1 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Let's discuss BANDS! As in being in a BANDS! It's a relationship. Breaking up with BANDS! sucks.

I'm jamming with people later today. I want to make a band with them, but I don't know if they're in it for the long haul. Sometimes people you're just jamming with get creeped out when you want to form BANDS! Has anyone else been in this situation?

eKawlATs.jpg

#2 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Yes! I was starting to wonder if a thread like this existed. BANDS! are seriously like a relationship with 2-5 other people at the same time. The ultimate polygamist (yet monogamist?) relationship. Most of the bands I have been in are still a band but I can't tell you how many members have cycled in and out of certain ones. 

I was actually curious of who on the Shizz is in BANDS! if it wasn't already obvious. 

Breaking up with BANDS! sucks.

Did your band just break up?

#3 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

hahaha I am most definitely NOT monogamous when it comes to bands(!)

#4 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

i did unprotected jams and got band aids

i don't even know what jamming is though. i used to do like blues jams with my pirate uncle. is it like that? now that i do hipster rock, jamming is basically impossible unless everyone in the room knows how to play the same cover, which is rare now. sometimes we like jam on a real basic chord progression to break up practice, but it's nothing i would dedicate a couple hours to doing with people. what is jam??

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#5 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well I kinda meant in reference to the band being one whole thing, or one relationship that you are monogamist with. I mean I'm not either but shit, some people might be all like "NO! You can't be in other bands if your in THIS band!"

#6 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'm in a band.  Probably leaving it soon, cuz I'm "that guy."

The Gemini Bells:

http://thegeminibells.bandcamp.com

And other stuff:

http://jamesmileshq.bandcamp.com/

Ruminations and other nonsense:

http://lastdelirium.blogspot.com/

#7 cetera

cetera

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

some people might be all like "NO! You can't be in other bands if your in THIS band!"

ugh

first of all, funky fm music just really does it for me.  Even if it's something corny like early mariah carey I can get way into the music with the fm bass and keys going on.   Then, there's everything else in this song.  The enigmatic title.  The synth programming brings out all the right emotional responses in me:  leads that remind me of thunderforce (even if the portamento isn't quite as exaggerated), chording synths that remind me of very old and charming genesis osts like super monaco (except somehow they don't sound as flimsy here), and of course a solid bass.  Great original motifs, interesting harmonies, good melody, rhythm.. everything that can make a song great is here!

My Music Here.  My Drug Blog vagmusic  NES-VHS                GkgBElO.png

#8 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

some people might be all like "NO! You can't be in other bands if your in THIS band!"

ugh

#9 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

@Monte, Lord Machino didn't break up, but I have suffered previous band breakups and it is not fun. I've also been replaced or nearly replaced in bands. I might currently be getting replaced in one? I'm the only person in any band I'm in that moved out and has a regular 9-5 job/lifestyle. I'm kind of like an old dude, and having to put bills before thrills doesn't seem to sit well with any bandmates.

@Cetera, you can jam in any genre really. Either need to be good with your scales or just be good at playing by ear. Sometimes I jam with people on funk riffs, maybe someone will fart out a drum beat, riff, or power chord progression and we'll build on it from there. Try to communicate rhythmic or short melodic motifs as you go, repetition is key. Everyone else will start to pick it up. Post rock is easy to jam on because it's more about tone clusters than actual melodies.

Kicking out band members sucks so bad. Or being stuck with ones that can't keep up, but are awesome people. I want to get into what the term 'band' means, but I'm currently running a dishwasher line in someone's crawlspace.

eKawlATs.jpg

#10 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm currently in a band.

Been playing with the same group of peole, in the form of this band, for the last.. 3 years i think?

I found them online, looking for a guitarist. And jammed a couple of times (which i mean, play covers agreed upon beforehand, but no BAND commitment) and then got invited to be in the band (which meant i would actually have input on the song selections and writing).

And before that, i was in a band for 5 years, but we always struggled to find a permament drummer and after time and time again trying to find someone, we finally "grew apart", which is a shame, because that singer is still the best singer i've played with. 

But yeah, band can be a relationship.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#11 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

the only band i was ever actually in was basically the project of my old best friend who i constantly fought with and it was not fun...except for playing shows, which was obviously great times.

this person, whom i am no longer friends with but am on good terms with now after we both basically told each other to fuck off a few years ago, is mildly infamous in town as one of those Really Talented Multi Skilled Dudes Who Is Just A Nightmare Of A Control Freak.

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#12 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

@Monte, Lord Machino didn't break up, but I have suffered previous band breakups and it is not fun. I've also been replaced or nearly replaced in bands. I might currently be getting replaced in one? I'm the only person in any band I'm in that moved out and has a regular 9-5 job/lifestyle. I'm kind of like an old dude, and having to put bills before thrills doesn't seem to sit well with any bandmates.

Yeah man, all that sucks. I was in a band with my brothers and all my best friends. One guy was considered "not good enough" at guitar but only my older brother really thought so (the project was his "brain child") so he kicked him out. It was extremely heart shattering for him and for all of us I think...It was such a bummer. After that the band stuck around for a bit but people started getting dropped or quitting and it was bad... the band is now back together with almost completely new members. I want to say over 25 people have played in that band.

I feel you on the job thing though. I too have a 9-6 job and am in three bands... Luckily my work is somewhat (for a lack of a better word, in reference to a Travis Morgan thought) "supportive" of my bands. However, one of my bands tours once a year and I end up having to miss parts of the tours...It's really annoying and bums me out. I take all of my vacation to tour and do what I REALLY love doing. However, this band is actually getting to a point where touring more regularly and could be a steady paying thing...Which ultimately leads to a potential life change. you just really end up debating where your life is and if a BAND! can really provide all the things you want/need in life. The experience is one thing but what if the band doesn't "go all the way"? How will you know if the band could become "big" if you didn't make the leap of faith to devote the necessary time to do so? What if you end up fighting so much you break up and then you have no band or a JOB!? And you have to go back and try to find a new one but it's been yeearrrs since you've workedin your old industry and no one wants to hire you!!?? HOLY SHIT. lol Brain puke. 

#13 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Telling my best friend that I was "quitting the band" was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I was completely bored with playing the 4 chords of Oasis and other similar stuff over and over again and was totally outnumbered in the band on that front.

20 years later, I wonder if my best friend still feels hurt/resentment towards me for that.

yBnV8YD.png

#14 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

I hate 'jamming' unless we're doing like stoner metal, or doom metal, or whatever you wanna call it. Shit that sounds like Sleep. That seems to be the only thing that ever clicks. It's probably just the way I play drums, honestly, haha.

As a drummer, nothing pleases me more than people who already have songs written. Which is never. At least in my experiences.

Playing music with new people is also tough because I have high standards left over from the last band I was in... the guitarists were so good that most people I 'jam' with pale in comparison and then I yearn for yesteryear.

Basically, I have a bad attitude.

tumblr_l0w3iatftU1qzylvvo1_400.gifPopful_Mail_(Sega_CD)_34.gif

#15 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Basically, I do not have pro gear/ pro attitude

(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: band, drama, yuck, gross, dang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users