678 replies to this topic

#31 arise_shine

arise_shine

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Yeah. I've been in a few BANDS! over the years, and it's nearly identical to being in a romantic relationship (just replace physical intimacy with musical intimacy).

The biggest issue I've had is that someone isn't pulling their weight, commitment-wise. Someone's not really into the music, or they have other outside interests that keep them from getting together as often, or they're just slacking. When I was younger, it was more about evolving musical tastes, but as I've gotten older, it's about finding time .. and making time. Bleh. I should do some more home recording too.

Landscape.png
My personal blog.

My MTG blog.
"The sun has left the sky, now you can close your eyes, leave all the world behind until tomorrow." (Latimer/Bardens)

"So shall it be written, so shall it be done, came the warning from the prophet..." (Davis/Davis)

#32 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think there's a really big difference between pandering to an audience, catering to an audience, and having sensibilities about what is or is not an interesting live performance. I'm not really sure which Alex is referring to though.

Agreed.  There weren't any songs that we cut that I was actually super attached to.  It was more like "hey, how about this?  I think that would be rad."  And then someone says "well, I'm not sure if it actually would be rad, for reasons x, y, and z (z being that no one will fucking recognize it."  "Oh, yeah, good points.  Let's do this other one instead."

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#33 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

There have been so many times I wanted to just quit everything and only focus on being a musician. I've told my current employers that I was going to quit and then couldn't do it. Everyone asks me, "How will you survive? How will you pay your bills?" Or, "But those flights!"

At this point I've had my job for 7+ years. I get paid well and get great benefits and in a few more years I'll be topped out. It just feels like settling for a decently comfortable life where I don't have the spare energy and time to be what I really want to be - a musician.

This has become my life's dilemma. The unceasing desire to dive deep into a particular rabbit hole, yet not being able to give up the comforts of life on the surface.

#34 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

There have been so many times I wanted to just quit everything and only focus on being a musician. I've told my current employers that I was going to quit and then couldn't do it. Everyone asks me, "How will you survive? How will you pay your bills?" Or, "But those flights!"

At this point I've had my job for 7+ years. I get paid well and get great benefits and in a few more years I'll be topped out. It just feels like settling for a decently comfortable life where I don't have the spare energy and time to be what I really want to be.

This has become my life's dilemma. The unceasing desire to dive deep into a particular rabbit hole, yet not being able to give up the comforts of life on the surface.

Oh man, like I said before, this is EXACTLY my dilemma for the same reasons. I have an amazing job with great benefits and pay and an opportunity to be a full time musician is right on the horizon yet it's so unbelievably risky I dono how to handle it... I really lean towards the side of at least trying to follow that dream if the opportunity seems good and right enough to pursue. I would suggest to not go all in and just do it from scratch. It's a process. The band I am in has been a band for six years and has a unique take on being a band and gaining momentum so it is really dependent on the factors. 

#35 Alex

Alex

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Okay, so here's what I'm wondering from anyone with relevant experience:

How did you get into the band? Did you form it or join it? Tell me how it came about.

I've never been a social butterfly so even though I'm surrounded by musicians every day at school, things aren't happening like I hoped. I just want to be playing music with a group of people.

#36 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

Okay, so here's what I'm wondering from anyone with relevant experience:

How did you get into the band? Did you form it or join it? Tell me how it came about.

I've never been a social butterfly so even though I'm surrounded by musicians every day at school, things aren't happening like I hoped. I just want to be playing music with a group of people.

So. My main band used to be another band. In 200...5ish I joined a real shit ska band called the Neighborhood faves. The only person that was talented was the trombone player (who also played tuba and trumpet). It was about as third wave as you can get. When I joined (bass player) I sorta added a new dimension into it. I took over the song writing duties and made the songs less third wave, and more punk..group shouting.. and even eastern european and jazz orientated. We changed the name to Thane, and then to Grim Luck! later. By that point it was 2006, and we have already seen..12 different members. The singer got into a huge fight with the sax player and we kicked him out. I took over singing/bass and later got my buddy who played in hardcore bands to start singing.

That was around this period.

After a bit I got into a huge fight with the Sax player because he wanted us to be a real band..to start charging for music (i believe that music should be free) and to like..play more bars, less all ages venues, and to play weddings and get big. It was a giant blowout with him and his girlfriend and the rest of the band. We took a band vote to see who side to take. Everyone took mine. He left. Since that moment we couldn't have had more fun. So far we have been through..overall..probably around 25 different members. We are now more of a collective of musicians (around 13 saxes,trombone,trumpet,drums, accordion, percussion, singer, bass, violin, cello, guitar etc etc) that will play when we can and fill whatever spots.

Current iteration:

Being in a band is tough with just 3 people. We are...like way bigger than that and it makes touring impossible, but we wouldn't be the same without the cacophony of sound we put out. Our live shows are madness because of our size. Our songs are crazy because we have so many people playing in synch.

It's been hard for me to write our 5th album, though...I have been in a rut when it comes to writing music and it fucking sucks. Luckily doing VGM covers has really helped me love music again.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#37 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Well mine are a bit lengthy and unique but maybe it will help:

The Dread Crew of Oddwood - My two older brothers and I had a previous band with four other guys. One of those members who we knew from high school also had his own band with two friends who we were unfamiliar with. This guy decided he wanted to walk around a renaissance faire with an accordion (very good) and "jam some tunes" and invited me and a couple of his other band mates along to play. The man that ran the renaissance faire heard us and told us "you guys are great! I will pay you good money to play here." So we thought that playing music, getting free booze and playing music was a great idea so we agreed. We ended up making a lot of money and so we decided to try and fuse the two bands together into one band that did this type of gig. Certain members from those two original bands came in and some decided not to. Essentially this was formed due to friendships formed in high school. They were all kids pursuing music for fun at the time. Though a unique situation it still was more of just socially sharing a common interest in playing a certain type of music together for fun. We all ended up writing music for this project. 

Kirby's Dream Band - (even though it's a VGM cover band like you any many others are in I think it's a good example) This was formed because I really really wanted to cover music from SEGA games. So I talked to a friend who was in a different band (The band above) and he shared a common interest in covering VGM. He saw a post that was relevant from a guy he hardly knew on the internet (Pingosimon) who lived in the general area and asked him if he was interested in the idea. He said he was, so he came over and we tried him out for bass. He was quiet at first but was of course amazing at bass so we agreed on him being in and he was down. Then ErichWK who I had recently met at a mutual friend's party happened to go to the same college as me. We started talking about that god awful DBZ movie (that was about to come out) at that party and hit it off. Shortly there after we discovered we were both musicians interested in VGM. I told him about the band idea and he was super down for drums. Then later it was decided to shift from a SEGA band into a Kirby themed band. (that part gets a bit tricky so I'll keep it vague  ;) ) Pingo then knew of two guitarists who were potentially interested and we tried them out. They were down and we had a band. After sometime those gentlemen found that they didn't have enough time with school and other things they were pursuing so they quit. We then looked to Craig's List for guitarists because we couldn't find any that were interested in the theme. We found MunzadetH who just responded to the add with some Mega Man recordings he did and they were rad, so he came over and tried out. He nailed it, so we told him he was in. Then he told us of a buddy he knew who he used to play VGM with and asked him to come try out. So he did and it was DONE. Though some of us hardly knew each other we happen to all become good friends over time working with each other and so on. Munz has been living in NY for the last two years which is why the band has done almost nothing but recording but now he is heading back our way! So the band can FINALLY continue on as it did and perform and record more regularly. I would consider most of these guys to be my closest friends now and love playing and hanging with them. They can chime in if I effed up part of the story or slandered their good names in anyway. 

If you want more detail on the writing and growing process of the first one I'm down to share...I just don't want to "wall of text" more than I have if this isn't interesting or informational.  :P

#38 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

This thread is relevant to my interests.

#39 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

How frantic was this band?

The 9-5 lifestyle has determined my band deathstyle before.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#40 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

I've been spoiled by playing with musicians that are way too good in my previous bands.

So every band on craigslist is insufferable.

I could lower my standards, but then I'd be in a shitty band.

So instead, I'm forever alone.

#41 Wyatt Riot

Wyatt Riot

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

I've been in a cover band for a couple years now. Except we don't play "Jessie's Girl" and we don't play weddings. It's mostly garage rock and proto-punk and proto-metal, big and loud. So of course that means we don't get respect because we're a cover band and we don't get paying gigs because we play what we want to play. Whatever, we're just in it for fun. We've all got day jobs—except I'm currently unemployed—so no plans for touring, just practice once a week and opening for friends' bands every once in a while.

We formed in an interesting way. The other guitarist made a group on Facebook and invited her musician friends, said she wanted to form a band and suggested genres. People who weren't interested or didn't have the time left the group until the band remained.

My ideal band would be doing originals, something like the Mars Volta meets Dillinger Escape Plan meets Lightning Bolt meets Tera Melos but I've never found people interested in playing in such a monstrosity. Even if I started something like that, I'm sure I'd still be in the cover band just because it's fun.

g4LcJWd.jpg

#42 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

That jam session before went pretty well. Two of the guys there want me to join their band, and everyone wants to get a weekly thing together. I don't think the four of us will make a band though, two of the people are complete opposites in terms of chemistry. They don't argue or anything, but they aren't living on the same plane.

Cetera, how do you get people to learn your material and play it? Do you know how blessed you are?

With Lord Machino, we get people to go apeshit at shows. I don't want to sound cocky, but if there's something I'm good at musically, it's getting people to enjoy themselves. I've been writing music that is intended for maximizing fun and getting people to break out of their shells a bit, but I can't get people to play it. I study Andrew WK, IHYWYP, Foxy Shazam and the like endlessly. It's not really sell out music, and a lot of the approach isn't musical. It's about enjoying yourself and encouraging other people to enjoy themselves, creating an empowering environment for everyone. Ultimately you're just exploiting frequencies to tap into people's subconscious. I want to use music to make people as excited as I am, and I want to involve them in the performance. I don't know why this is a hard concept to sell - let's all just have fun. Have a band that other bands want to play to, be a great audience, be a good friend. Start feeding energy to the venue before you even play.

House, if you need to make a band, a friend of mine says the best way to do it is to find some friends to jam with and book a show. The music will flow if there is a deadline.

eKawlATs.jpg

#43 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

Everyone SHOULD Study Andrew Wk. Machino, I will play in your band. I love to party

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#44 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,751 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

I have a lot of things to say on this topic, but I'll just stick with "fuck bands go solo"

#45 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

I don't know how anybody w/ a full time job can do more than 2 bands.

toopunk2lose.png

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: band, drama, yuck, gross, dang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users