#16 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,140 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

i would be a bad fan of keyboards if i did not post this here:

seriously.  once it gets to that section, this is one of the more amazing keyboard solos i've ever seen.  the looks on the guys face as he gets into his zone are .... so priceless.  i've watched it like 4 times now and i just can't stop watching it.  and wishing i had a fraction of his skill and practice.

so good.

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#17 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

And yes, TheSynthFreq is awesome, I've been watching her videos for years.

Almost got her to collab on my DoD track covering Savage. It would have been a shame to have her grace such a terrible song

Savage is a terrible song?? How dare you.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#18 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,519 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

seriously.  once it gets to that section, this is one of the more amazing keyboard solos i've ever seen.  the looks on the guys face as he gets into his zone are .... so priceless.  i've watched it like 4 times now and i just can't stop watching it.  and wishing i had a fraction of his skill and practice.

so good.

KingKORG! MY KEYS ARE IN THIS VIDEO

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#19 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

I don't know where she gets the patience to maintain and program all those synths though. Programming synths from before like 1998 is generally the worst thing you can do as a musician (though I have a couple late 80s synths that I really enjoy programming so whatev).

I feel like this is my life...I make all my SID patches of the Midibox or Sammich. It's a a major task and sometimes I find that once I get a sound I like, I start to mix it with stuff and find it doesn't work or needs major tweaking. Patch making can be brutal but it can also be very rewarding.  

#20 Xplo

Xplo

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

so good.

I love the "OH FUCK" looks the guy next to him is giving him.

#21 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

so good.

We made a thread on these guys. The keys are stellar. I LOVE this band. I want them to come back here so I can see theeem. 

#22 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 9,140 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

so keeping in the spirit of keyboardarra, i finally had to replace my old old Poland XP-50 as my primary controller.  it's been my faithful beast since late 1995 but some of the keys were no longer working, battery was at its end of life (would need to replace) and the outputs stopped working years ago so it was functioning solely as a controller.

after getting a spectacular deal on komplete ultimate 10 from a friend of mine, i pulled the trigger on the 61 key version of this:

http://www.native-in...ntrol-s-series/

it's ... everything i've wanted in a controller.  the fact that it integrates with komplete the way it does is icing on the cake.  but holy crap is it packed with awesome.  i doubt in years i'll ever fully discover all of the nuances and options that are available.

a_rival is planning on helping me reverse engineer some of the features so that they can be used to do lights and awesome things outside of the confines of komplete.  it still works fantastic as a controller when not running in complete, just some of the nice light features are disabled.

additionally, it takes a real long while to get used to touch-pad expression and pitch bend.  i'm still trying to get used to it.  that could take a while.

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#23 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

Does this count as keyboardarra

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#24 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:01 AM

so keeping in the spirit of keyboardarra, i finally had to replace my old old Poland XP-50 as my primary controller.  it's been my faithful beast since late 1995 but some of the keys were no longer working, battery was at its end of life (would need to replace) and the outputs stopped working years ago so it was functioning solely as a controller.

after getting a spectacular deal on komplete ultimate 10 from a friend of mine, i pulled the trigger on the 61 key version of this:

http://www.native-in...ntrol-s-series/

it's ... everything i've wanted in a controller.  the fact that it integrates with komplete the way it does is icing on the cake.  but holy crap is it packed with awesome.  i doubt in years i'll ever fully discover all of the nuances and options that are available.

a_rival is planning on helping me reverse engineer some of the features so that they can be used to do lights and awesome things outside of the confines of komplete.  it still works fantastic as a controller when not running in complete, just some of the nice light features are disabled.

additionally, it takes a real long while to get used to touch-pad expression and pitch bend.  i'm still trying to get used to it.  that could take a while.

Nice! I remember that one. I was def interested in it. I went with the Novation Impulse which I do like for what I use it for. I unfortunately don't like how semi-weighted it is...Maybe I am just spoiled from the fast action that the Yamaha XS6 gives me but I have yet to find a comparable finger board. The velocity and wait of that thing is flawless. I don't think it's worth getting rid of the Impulse at this point since I use it for basic note input on stuff. If I am actually recording a part I use my Yamaha anyway.

Make a video though! I wanna see it in action! 

Might be my favorite Shnabubala song...so fricken good. 

#25 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Soo it's a bit rough around the edges but I did a play through of KDB's Actraiser cover whilst recording. Thought I'd share. :P

All about the last note  : O)

#26 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

Programming synths from before like 1998 is generally the worst thing you can do as a musician (though I have a couple late 80s synths that I really enjoy programming so whatev).

I just have a DX7 and it hasn't been a problem to program once I figured out what I was doing. :P

I do have a question for the thread - after all this time, I'm finally focusing my music in one direction (I know, right?) and perhaps unsurprising to most, that direction is towards ambient music.  I can make just about any instrument work with the genre (using keys, guitar, & bass now), but I know the most interesting textures are going to come from hardware synths, since a majority of my recording setup is analog (pedals). 

The thing is, I don't have a lot of space to work with and I don't plan to play out, so two-to-three octave keyboards are fine.  Any suggestions?  I've been eyeballing the Arturia Minibrute for a couple years, but still haven't taken the time to check one out.  The Novation MiniNova looks pretty awesome too.

I should probably save up for a Minimoog Voyager but OOF that pricetag. :blink:

kodiak-shizz-sig.jpg

Home | Bandcamp | Spotify | Instagram | SoundCloud | Concatenation Records (Shizzie Music!)

#27 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

The Novation stuff is great. If you want only two octaves the MiniNova should be good. I have a Novation Impulse as my controller when not using my keyboards and it works great for what I need but I would rather it be fast action or fully weighted instead of semi weighted, so that is a big personal preference factor when considering a controller. The Impulse also has a two octave model. Minibrutes are also rad. What DAW are you using? The novation stuff is really in tune with Ableton and Logic. Not sure how well it syncs with PT or Repear but I love that I can control all my faders, cue buttons and such with the Impulse.  

#28 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

I use Reaper for my DAW, but as long as I can get tracks to record properly, I'm good.  My recording techniques are pretty archaic (record raw WAV files with analog FX, import to DAW and add more post-production), but I'm going for a lo-fi sound, so it works. 

I haven't tried to pull off things with the DX7, but I know a 30+ year old keyboard isn't going to have the textural depths that I'm looking for.  I think I just need to get my butt to a local music store and spend some time tinkering. :)

kodiak-shizz-sig.jpg

Home | Bandcamp | Spotify | Instagram | SoundCloud | Concatenation Records (Shizzie Music!)

#29 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

Major soft-synth creators like Propellerhead and Native Instruments have awesome deals extending from black Friday for a couple more days. I'm especially interested in Native Instruments' software offerings.  Any of you guys particularly like any of their stuff?

#30 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Major soft-synth creators like Propellerhead and Native Instruments have awesome deals extending from black Friday for a couple more days. I'm especially interested in Native Instruments' software offerings.  Any of you guys particularly like any of their stuff?

YES. I use their Massive, FM8 and Absynth plug-ins. They are all excellent and I use them primarily when I am not setting sounds up for playing live. I've considered setting up my rig to include my computer so I could use the plugins because I like them so much. I've wanted to explore more of their other stuff so I might even consider checking this deal out myself. Thanks :D

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keyboard, keys, synths, MIDI, keyboardists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users