137 replies to this topic

#31 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

Soo it's a bit rough around the edges but I did a play through of KDB's Actraiser cover whilst recording. Thought I'd share. :P

All about the last note  : O)

sooooo gooooood

#32 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Major soft-synth creators like Propellerhead and Native Instruments have awesome deals extending from black Friday for a couple more days. I'm especially interested in Native Instruments' software offerings.  Any of you guys particularly like any of their stuff?

YES. I use their Massive, FM8 and Absynth plug-ins. They are all excellent and I use them primarily when I am not setting sounds up for playing live. I've considered setting up my rig to include my computer so I could use the plugins because I like them so much. I've wanted to explore more of their other stuff so I might even consider checking this deal out myself. Thanks :D

I think I'm gonna go for Razor.  It just seems too intense and unpredictable for me to ignore.  I just wish it had a sampler, but at that point it would greatly outgrow its current price point.

#33 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

I am not really a keyboard player, but I've been doing more and more MIDI stuff lately and am feeling the limitations of my little E-MU Xboard 25.  I also ended up with an old M-Audio Radium 61 (back when they were still called "MIDIMAN"), but it's pretty clunky (note-offs sometimes don't register, whole thing tends to glitch).  I'd like to get another 61, but a 49 would be fine.

I already have a separate Akai MPD18 for drum pads, so I don't need anything that has pads on it, but I do need pitch and mod, and at least a couple of assignable sliders or knobs.  Been narrowing down on a last-gen Oxygen 49, but I'd love to hear from people that have used them (or have other suggestions.)  Budget is definitely an option.

Anyone?  Bueller?

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#34 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and forever): stay away from m-audio. They're cheap, and you'll buy one for $75-100, and two years later you'll realize that it sucks (either by way of just playing it or it starting to break on you). And then you'll get another M-Audio for another $100, and in a year or two another for $100. :(

Posted Image

#35 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Snap.  What would you recommend?

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#36 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

Searching now, keeping budget in mind. What price range are you looking into?

Posted Image

#37 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

$250 would probably be the most I could go with right now.  Used/refurbished are totally okay with me.  Gracias.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#38 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

The best value in MIDI controllers that I know of is still the Roland A-pro series (A500 and A800 pro). They're expesnive, $250 for the A500 (49 key version) and $350-400 for the A800 (61 key).

But here's this auction for a used one:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f4bed16b0

at $225 (the last gen "cakewalk" branded model, same excellent quality though). I'm not sure how you feel about pitch sticks, I love them.

Posted Image

#39 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Either way I'll start researching a bit more, I'm curious as to what's out there these days.

Posted Image

#40 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

Looks like the Alesis VI is popular too, I asked around and got some good feedback on it. The 61 key version is about $280 brand new. See if you can get that used.

Posted Image

#41 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks dude.  I really appreciate it.  Like I said, I'm not really an accomplished keyboardist, and this is entering an entirely new world.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#42 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, I don't mean to flat out discourage you from going M-Audio, so if that works best for you then go for it. I'm just saying that in the long run I personally found that I ended up paying just as much for my 3 M-Audio keyboards  as I did for a decent controller (after those 3 all stopped working). It kind of sucks that the entry level market for these things is pretty sketchy in terms of quality. I mean we did go through this before when you asked for recommendations, so as last time I will recommend that you go with whatever fits your needs and your budget right now, but always be aware of what your money is and isn't getting you.

Posted Image

#43 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

I honestly don't remember asking before. I very well might have, but it has entirely slipped my mind. As slippery as my mind is. Sorry if this is all redundant! Regardless, I appreciate your help, and you know that you're always just looking for an excuse to look into keyboard to gear anyway. ;-)

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#44 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

So true..... except now I have to stop myself because I've already been spending too much on guitars and guitar accessories so far this year...

Posted Image

#45 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:12 AM

I was going to recommend what I use but it's $300. the Novation Impulse. I got it a while back and still love it for MIDI and recording but also cuz it syncs with Ableton. I would go with Snapple on the M-Audio for his point of them being great for the price and you can just get another one later. 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keyboard, keys, synths, MIDI, keyboardists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users