168 replies to this topic

#121 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Finally got that DX7s in the mail. Replaced the battery and popped the 2 keys back into place and it’s all set. Only took like $5 and an hour. Still need to send patches over from the computer, but that looks pretty easy.

eKawlATs.jpg

#122 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

I am so excited for you. I want to hear all the jams that are soon to come on DX7 and EWI. 

#123 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Every keyboardist needs to own at least one hardware synth in their lifetime. Doesn't have to be huge or full featured, and it doesn't matter if it's in a rack or keyboard format. The experience of programming patches and committing to sounds, tracking to audio, fucking get's me stimulated just thinking about it.

QCdG7zm.gif

amTr0fm.png

#124 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

Yeah man! I’m at work and I’m just itching to get home and mess with this thing more.

And Monte - hopefully DX7 and EWI tunes should be on their way! I’m thinking about taking a step back from playing live for a while and just recording to hone my EWI and keys chops. I might give some 16 bit/FM games the obsessive NES accuracy treatment and do a bunch of covers that are note for note to the channels (as in no chords, just tons of single note tracks)

Then again Karl and I have like 100 bands we’re planning on starting and one of those will probably take up all my time which is also fine :P

Edit: oh yeah I got the default cartridges for the dx7 loaded back on, but found another bank I like more and can’t get them to transfer. The little screen just says it’s loading patches and then never does it. I might just have bad midi cables. Anyone run into this before?

eKawlATs.jpg

#125 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

With old synths you have to make sure your internal settings are configured to accept patches that are not the default factory sounds. In Yamaha synths there's an "internal memory protect" or "memory protect internal" (or some engrish variation on those) option in the settings which you should turn off to allow for the writing of non-factory sounds. Also it's very important to be sending over the right SYSEX channels. Every synth does it slightly different but those old ones have pretty dodgy MIDI implementation and don't utilize SYSEX well, so in that case you either set the device number to channel 16 or channel 1, but if you're getting a transfer going you probably already did that, so make sure the protected memory is off.

If you're doing all that and it's still not working then it's most likely your cables. Oh and I have only had good experiences using legit hardware audio interfaces with MIDI built in when it comes to old synths from the 80s and early 90s, those USB-MIDI cables have never worked for me, they are terrible and low quality and always cause some kind of random problem. The only good USB-MIDI cable that's ever worked was an old MIDIMAN cable (before they turned into M-Audio), everything since then has been a cheap copy of that one cable and they've all been complete shit.

amTr0fm.png

#126 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Problem solved! The computer was sending the patches too fast for the DX7 to read so I had to drop the buffer rate in MidiOX.

Bank 2 is now nothing but 32 bass patches yesssssssss

Anyone have any good DX7 libraries they like? Mine is the default in bank A and basses in bank B.

eKawlATs.jpg

#127 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

I might give some 16 bit/FM games the obsessive NES accuracy treatment and do a bunch of covers that are note for note to the channels (as in no chords, just tons of single note tracks)

ughhh yessssssssssssssssssss

#128 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

I'm getting ready to record a track with multiple hardware synths, so instead of doing the synths one by one I figured I'd chain them all together with my MOTU midi timepiece and have an old school Tsquare gigging rig where every synth can communicate together and be controlled by Cubase. Works like a charm so far.... :| 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Stupid massive MIDI feedback loop going on, and since I no longer have my G3 powerfuckMac that I would need to program my very old midi clock I have no way to precisely route all the synths together the way I want. Time to get clever :(

amTr0fm.png

#129 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

Whoa! It's a Fantom G! It used to be my dream workstation before I decided to go 100% VST synths.

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#130 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

I'm getting ready to record a track with multiple hardware synths, so instead of doing the synths one by one I figured I'd chain them all together with my MOTU midi timepiece and have an old school Tsquare gigging rig where every synth can communicate together and be controlled by Cubase. Works like a charm so far.... :| 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Stupid massive MIDI feedback loop going on, and since I no longer have my G3 powerfuckMac that I would need to program my very old midi clock I have no way to precisely route all the synths together the way I want. Time to get clever :(

I hope that loop makes its way into one of your songs.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#131 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Sorry bro, solved it and it's not coming back! B)

amTr0fm.png

#132 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Should have my first track with the DX7 done by next weekend. Pretty much all of the patches cut soooo well. All the parts in the song were super easy so it was a decent starting point.

I also had to re-enable the pitch bend plates on my EWI to do this track, so I’ve had to learn to be a lot more careful with it so as to not accidentally trigger them. Getting the hold of it tho! More shizzies need EWIs so we can make a dedicated thread for them.

eKawlATs.jpg

#133 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Thought about buying Sam's after playing it at his house last year, gotta get that breath control skill

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#134 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Are there such things as external mod/pitch wheels?  Does that depend on the synth?

Specifically: what if I wanted 4 wheels?  2 pitch (one standard +/- whole step, and one +/- octave), and two mod wheels (one for vibrato, one for stuff like filters).

I know with the synths I have, I can assign other CCs to the mod wheel, and I can change the pitch bend range.  I don't know about having all that active at the same time.

#135 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Pingosimon, if I was approaching that problem I would probably build a solution in Max/MSP. But that's my solution to just about everything these days, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But in theory you could find some kind of external pitch wheel hardware that could connect to a computer (eg via USB), then write a Max patch to interpret those signals and send MIDI to the synth however you like. It might be an overly complicated solution though.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keyboard, keys, synths, MIDI, keyboardists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users