Posted Image

#17 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:04 AM

Ryan, you crazy, amazing human being. This is awesome!

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#18 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,209 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

RYANS PIPES

sgy5Biv.gif

#19 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Can't listen until I get back to Moscow, but: did you consider using Loudr.fm for licensing? They're easy to use and their fares are reasonable. Also they get you to itunes, spotify, etc.

I'm so woefully out of touch that I haven't even heard of loudr.  Nevertheless, I have read up on some of Universal's policies on things, and they weren't entirely favorable.

I'm having a huge bttf party tonight, inviting over all those neglecterinos.

Posted Image

I think at max length it made it to my nipples.

#20 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

So I had a couple people ask, "How did you remove the music from the movie?" So I figured I'd explain that here.

The music wasn't completely removed, and if you got the full movie from me, there are spots where you can hear little bits of the original music poking through.  I was just able to reduce it largely enough that placing similar music over it made it not noticeable.  The hardest parts to remove were where the music was the loudest (clocktower, twin pines mall, johnny b goode).

It would be nice if I could've just had access to a movie without the music, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.  I really loved the youtube videos about the importance of John Williams where the ending to ET had the music taken out.  But he probably has access to such things.  So first I thought I could just get the music, line it up with the movie, invert the music, and then it would cancel out.  This would be true if the movie were made digitally and the music didn't have EQ or effects.  But since things were not digital, things would be slightly different.  I took the soundtrack and tried lining it up, but things would be stretched like 1%.  Plus they would have the EQ and effects, and they would be chopped up and edited.

So what I did was line up and edit the actual movie music to the movie as close as I could, stretching here, splicing there.  I did some EQ and volume matching as well.  Then I wrote a script that would do noise reduction in Adobe Audition.  You can't just take a noise sample of a whole song and apply it to a large part without getting crazy artifacts and terrible sound, so I had the script go through the movie 1/4 a second at a time, sampling the music edit, and then removing the corresponding "noise" in the movie.  I crossfaded (or windowed, if you will) between these samples to get a smoother output.

This, however, was not enough.  Some music in the same frequency ranges as the sfx and talking didn't get caught, and some of the voices, particularly the sibilant sounds, got removed.  So I went and did a center extraction of the removed audio.  The center is typically where the voices hang out.  I combed through that center extraction, fading out any music, painting out spectrograms, and doing more noise reduction processes where applicable.  Then I took the inverse of the center extraction (so basically the stereo stuff) and tried to take any sound effects or other audio I wanted to keep, again by painting spectrograms and by using noise gates and such.  I reassembled all of this to get the final audio.

It wasn't perfect, but it was enough to get the job done.  There are parts of the reduction that I would tweak now, but I really was just running... OUTATIME.  If only I had more time!  Wait a minute, I have a time machine!  I'll just give myself, uh, 10 more minutes...............

Back when my HD crashed, my brother told me I needed to travel in time to prevent it from happening.  Dick.

Posted Image

#21 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Can't listen until I get back to Moscow, but: did you consider using Loudr.fm for licensing? They're easy to use and their fares are reasonable. Also they get you to itunes, spotify, etc.

I'm so woefully out of touch that I haven't even heard of loudr. Nevertheless, I have read up on some of Universal's policies on things, and they weren't entirely favorable.

I'm having a huge bttf party tonight, inviting over all those neglecterinos.
Most of those policies usually concern using samples and bits from the movie. Covering the score is a different story and it's regulated pretty well by the licensing mechanisms. The fare should be pretty reasonable. Try making a loudr account and fill out all the info on the tracks. They should give you an estimate or get back to you with the info on your album.
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#22 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,366 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Here's a downloadable clip of the Clocktower scene from my site: http://ryan8bit.com/...ower_clip_1.mp4

Oh my god!

PM'D, I'm watching this with San Diego Shizzies

#23 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Whew, had a huge party last night with a screening of the movie.  Maybe I'll get some pics uploaded later of the cosplay and decorations.

Most of those policies usually concern using samples and bits from the movie. Covering the score is a different story and it's regulated pretty well by the licensing mechanisms. The fare should be pretty reasonable. Try making a loudr account and fill out all the info on the tracks. They should give you an estimate or get back to you with the info on your album.

That's a really cool site!  There's 34 songs and about a dozen different artists though.  It sounds like it might take some time to do, and ultimately, like I said, I'm not really making a huge effort to raise funds for it honestly.  Unless loudr is just a better way to get exposure?  I suck at figuring out getting exposure.  I'm an out of touch old man who doesn't understand most social media.  I need to go find a cloud to yell at.

People were saying to me that it's disappointing that I couldn't put the movie out there (or even clips) for people to see, but such is the nature of taking something copyright and doing stuff with it.  Universal is fully within their rights to block that stuff.  I don't know how some other people circumvent the filters on YouTube or other sites though.

Posted Image

#24 Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

Here's some pics from the party we had:

bttf-cake.jpg

My wife made this totally awesome cake.

bttf-cosplay.jpg

We had a few people dress up.  My dad is the one that's dressed as George.  He shaved his mustache, dyed his hair black, and had a kick me sign on his back.  I wasn't willing to go that extra mile I guess.

bttf-drinks.jpg

We had a pretty interesting drink menu that my brother and I came up with.  The hangover wasn't so interesting.

bttf-wall.jpg

We had a ton of wall decorations from "You're Fired!" faxes to the Enchantment Under the Sea banner that took me a few hours to make (and was destroyed by children not an hour into the party).

And just as a note, I won't be hosting the link to the movie for much longer, so if you haven't yet downloaded it, or wish to, it'll be gone in the next day or so.

Posted Image

#25 munzadeth

munzadeth

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

This is so ridiculously awesome.  That cake!  And is that one guy dressed up as Huey Lewis??

#26 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

Finally got around to watching the movie with the re-score and I loved it. Thanksgiving weekend always seems like the right time to re-visit classic movies like this. Thanks for cutting it together and making it available!

#27 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Back to the Future, music, movies, covers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users