152 replies to this topic

#136 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

Hurrah, now I can listen on an upcoming long drive!

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#137 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

I always save these for long drives because it's the perfect way to listen to them.

This is probably answered in the episode, but what category does High Speed fall under?

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#138 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

I always save these for long drives because it's the perfect way to listen to them.

This is probably answered in the episode, but what category does High Speed fall under?

High Speed is indeed raw PCM, not the regular DPCM!

I'd have to double check if it's actually 7-bit, or maybe they used the "soft compression", as Andrew calls it, and it's just 4-bit. Not sure.

#139 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,785 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Sweet! I'm going to save this for when I drive to Phoenix next week :)

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#140 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

SoundCloud saved by emergency funding as CEO steps aside

*whew*

toopunk2lose.png

#141 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

https://soundcloud.c...back-on-the-nes

Episode 21 is up, it's all about high quality sample playback on the NES. This was a particularly fun one to research, there was surprisingly quite a lot to talk about for something so specific. It's all about raw PCM in NES games, which is rarer than 1-bit DPCM and was usually 7-bit.

Listened to this on a 4 hour drive. I had zero expectations going into it because I never really cared much for PCM in NES development. It turned out to be one of the best episodes largely due to the guest speaker. I remember seeing him at the 2016 Magfest at the SRR party but not talking to him. From what Danimal Cannon explained to me he is one of the most creative people he knows and one of the forefront people in the current NES homebrew scene. It showed in the episode. Educational and entertaining, love the Big Bird and Blades of Steel back stories. I love all the minor details you guys do about the history and evolution of the NES and its features, the amount of research you guys do for these shows how enthusiastic you are about the NES.

You said something about saying that it was embarrassing that the episodes are scripted. Screw that, I think that's what makes them great! If you don't practice what you are talking about, especially something as ling and detailed as these episodes, I think the lack of preparation would show and you'd get all these weird awkward moments. There is none of that on these shows. Production is flawless in my opinion.

Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#142 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Thanks so much man! It means a lot to hear that. Andrew is an amazing person, it was great having him as a guest. He's not only brilliant, but he's also super nice and just a great dude. 

I'd love to pick your brain sometime in the future actually, since your work with hacking CV soundtracks is something that always impressed me. I'm not totally sure on the format/ context yet, but it's definitely something we're going to share and talk about sometime.

We just uploaded the 22nd episode the other night-

https://soundcloud.c...out-the-author/

This is an introspective episode that talks about our most-nostalgic VGM selections, and also how we got involved with the chipmusic community later in life. We each picked 10 songs, and most of mine are Amiga tracks. It feels good repping Amiga in the podcast!

#143 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Shizz Boss

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Cool episode. It makes me think of all of the early VGM I was exposed to on the C64. I should dig up a thread where I can talk about it more, now that just about everything is on Youtube now.

Posted Image

#144 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,785 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

I finally listened to the vrc7 episode. I feel better knowing what a Lagrange point is now.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#145 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

I finally listened to the vrc7 episode. I feel better knowing what a Lagrange point is now.

Haha, yes!

Today we uploaded an episode that's all about Capcom's NES (and Famicom) music-

https://soundcloud.c...pcoms-nes-music

It's kind of stupidly long, but we hunker down and play at least one song from all of their FC/ NES games in chronological order. It also kind of doubles up as an NES Mega Man soundtracks episode, since we didn't want to skip past those too quickly. Our guest Oliver knows a shit load about their sound engines too, and helped point out lots of weird audio quirks we wouldn't have picked up on.

In particular I loved learning about why the Game Genie messes up early capcom soundtracks. Shocked to learn the cheats themselves aren't to blame for music stuff getting all glitched out. The issue manages to be completely unrelated to you messing with other values in the games, which is pretty wild. 

#146 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 16,464 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

oh my god i was dreading an awfully boring day at work tomorrow, but now i have something to get me through it!

you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#147 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

Loved this episode! The game genie part and the mega man tom explanations were real kind benders. I was driving home from work for the last stretch of the episode and when the bass kicked in on Oliver's track I immediately turned my stereo to max. SO SICK!!!

eKawlATs.jpg

#148 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I loved the newest episode. As always -- I can't wait for the next one.

toopunk2lose.png

#149 KarlGerm

KarlGerm

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

I'm only about a half hour into the episode but it's been so great getting to hear from HUNRetroGeek after hearing his name countless times. So amazing to hear that someone so young is so passionate about retro games and so knowledgeable about the tech. does my heart good! 

0XLHr8N.pngPLeKsvM.jpgdRKoGUE.png

#150 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Shizz Boss

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

I was always wondering if it was HonRetroGeek, as in the Baltimore "Hon", but then I researched it and saw that it was not.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users