#151 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

https://soundcloud.c...o/msx-computers

Our MSX episode is up! We go through all the sound expansions, basically looking at all audio configurations and specs across the MSX' lifespan.

The opening theme is an alternate take done by our guest, using the MSX with Konami's SCC sound expansion. It sounds so good!

#152 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

I haven't listened since before the capcom episode, but I'm excited I have several to binge on! I'm a bad, bad, bad fan, but Drunks and Dragons is really good and hilarious. :(

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#153 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

Pumped to check this out! I always consider MSX music to fall under the PC category in the same was as Amiga and ZX Spectrum, allowing me to one day turn them into WASD songs, just the ones that no one will ever know :D

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#154 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

2196ri.jpg

21976v.jpg

2197df.jpg

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#155 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

hahahaha

#156 OverCoat

OverCoat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

I have an MSX2 coming soon too [thanks ap0c] so this ep made me hella hype

#157 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I really love this episode, especially the part comparing saying "an MSX" to saying "an IBM" or "a Dell" and stuff. Awesome show as always!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#158 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

https://soundcloud.c...s-from-hardware

New episode is up! We talk about suggested set-ups for getting the "best" sound from a variety of consoles.

#159 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

Super-interesting episode, as always, and quality guest starring by JMR.

Just one thing I'd like to add (and it's understandable that you wouldn't know about it): you briefly touched upon how recording the PC Engine sucks because all it has is a RF output. Well, I have good news, in the form of the French PC Engine.

Take a look at the photos in those two articles: http://www.retroblog...nec-core-grafx/ and http://www.retroblog...supergrafx-nec/

I can translate parts of the text if you'd like, but the gist of it is that the PC Engine was distributed semi-officially in France (but nowhere else in Europe) by a company called SODIPENG (SOciété de DIstribution de la PC ENGine, literally "PC Engine Distribution Company"). I say semi-officially because NEC allowed the distribution to happen but provided no support whatsoever. Hardware-wise, Sodipeng PC Engines (the mainline PCE was called the CoreGrafx here, but note that we also got the SuperGrafx and that everything I'm saying also applies to it) were in fact modded Japanese consoles.

The mods were as follows:

- Different gamepads (nobody cares).

- 220V/50Hz power supply (but AFAIK the games and video signal still run at 60Hz).

- The one you actually care about: a full AV out with stereo RCA audio and RGB video over SCART. (side note: all TVs sold in France are mandated by law to have a SCART input. Unlike the rest of the world, we stopped using RF adapters after the Atari 2600. Also unlike the rest of the world, the move to all-composite in the PS1 era was a significant downgrade).

Retroblog%20-%20Coregrafx%20%231.jpg

I don't have one to confirm everything I say and therefore can't give you any samples either. But since I also seem to recall that the PC Engine uses an external power supply, in theory it should be perfectly possible (using e.g. a Japanese AC adapter) to run a Sodipeng-modded PCE in North America and use the RCA outs in the AV Plus cable to record audio. Plus, glorious RGB video.

#160 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

Ooh, that's great! I did see a little bit about that on wikipedia-

https://en.wikipedia...foreign_markets

But I didn't think to look closer and forgot to bring it up. That's great stuff, especially about France getting rid of RF a lot sooner. That's really cool, and I certainly had no idea about that. We'll be sure to bring that up in our inevitable PCE/ TurboGrafx episode. :)

#161 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

- Different gamepads (nobody cares).

Actually, I'm intrigued now. Anyone find any pics of this?

banner.png

#162 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

There's also the TurboBooster, CD add-on and Duo if you want composite out. This was probably addressed, I haven't listened to it yet.

I actually did a hardware (Duo-R) rip of Splatterhouse and planned on doing more, but that project kind of fizzled out.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#163 mills

mills

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,641 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Bucky I just found this channel on youtube, I still always listen to the explod channel.

Your channel is awesome and you do the best audio rips of anyone else.

I have a request, can you upload your podcasts to the youtube channel as wel?

Thank you.

#164 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

I feel like a fucking RGA junkie. No joke, just silently dying for my next fix!!!!

#165 Smeg

Smeg

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

I feel like a fucking RGA junkie. No joke, just silently dying for my next fix!!!!

I just keep hitting reload on the Soundcloud page like this is 2002

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users