138 replies to this topic

#31 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

I can understand why you would think to pick something like that, though.  Any nsf super nerd or Famitracker user would be able to recognize the obscure chip used.  I just Googled poorly.

#32 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,307 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

Another good episode!

#33 the Wozz

the Wozz

DAD Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,362 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

I like this show. 

toopunk2lose.png

#34 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

PSA: If anyone wanted to digest this with a podcast app, bucky made the rss feed available: http://feeds.soundcl...3124/sounds.rss

yBnV8YD.png

#35 SSS key

SSS key

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

I liked the echo discussion in episode 3. I've always found that placing the echo note 3/16 ahead of the initial note to usually be the most pleasing. Kind of an obvious statement though.

The "Konami" echo is programmed algorithm in many of their game engines. I've seen the hexadecimal opcode EC in the non-early Konami NES nsf files to indicate a subtle low volume echo. I remember implementing it in custom modifications to the Castlevania 3 soundtrack, but I don't remember seeing it for Castlevania 2 (I relied more on the double channel echo for that). Contra definitely had it though as you mentioned on the show, and was probably the first to use it. If I remember correctly, Hinedori Maezawa briefly referenced it in the interview he did some years back, that they had to make an echo effect indicating it with particular notes.

Bingo... O ho ho ho!!

#36 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

The "Konami" echo is programmed algorithm in many of their game engines. I've seen the hexadecimal opcode EC in the non-early Konami NES nsf files to indicate a subtle low volume echo. I remember implementing it in custom modifications to the Castlevania 3 soundtrack, but I don't remember seeing it for Castlevania 2 (I relied more on the double channel echo for that). Contra definitely had it though as you mentioned on the show, and was probably the first to use it. If I remember correctly, Hinedori Maezawa briefly referenced it in the interview he did some years back, that they had to make an echo effect indicating it with particular notes.

This is awesome insight and we'll bring this up in the comments section, thanks!

#37 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Right now I'm uploading an episode all about Alberto Gonzalez- It uses lots of info from our past interview, plus some new stuff. And we're joined by Akumu!

#38 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yesssssssss. The best composer!

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#39 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:47 AM

it's a new monday, so we have a new episode!

This one is about Zan Gear, a lesser known but great Sega Game Gear soundtrack. We also talk a little bit about Motoi Sakuraba in general:

https://soundcloud.c...eaudio/zan-gear

#40 bucky

bucky

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

it's monday again!

https://soundcloud.c...com-disk-system

This episode does a deep dive into the Famicom Disk System. I worked hard and did a lot of new research in order to make this episode, and I'm very happy with the outcome.

If you know general stuff about the FDS already, the detailed explanation of its audio begins at 20:20 in. I also did stuff like compile instrument data from a bunch of soundtracks, so you can see how most voices are essentially presets, shared across different companies even: 

http://famicomdisksystem.imgur.com/

#41 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

Any update on getting the show onto iTunes?

#42 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

Any update on getting the show onto iTunes?

I was able to manually add the feed to iTunes / the podcast app on my phone. Ken Oh posted the link.

PSA: If anyone wanted to digest this with a podcast app, bucky made the rss feed available: http://feeds.soundcl...3124/sounds.rss

#43 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

Hey, that wasn't hard at all! 

Thanks dude.

#44 Moldilox

Moldilox

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

Wooo, SUBSCRIBED! Gonna start jammin' it today.

Read my comic: BIG DUMB FIGHTING IDIOTS!

#45 Djinnocide

Djinnocide

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:57 AM

Patrick and Steve, assuming you're reading this, I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying listening to the show. I just got current yesterday and I've completely loved every episode and can't wait for more. You guys are really doing a fantastic job of explaining the technical aspects of the hardware/software in a way a dummy like me can understand and you're doing a great job of mixing the crunchy details with some excellent music (most of which I was completely unfamiliar with before the show). 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users