44 replies to this topic

#1 EgoOrb

EgoOrb

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

I was having one of those days where you feel like you are just letting life pass you by...

and I will have these feelings, that happen on a day-to-day basis, where you think about old games that you love and how you want to go back and replay them again.

and Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of those games that I can always just turn on and instantly start feeling better about life.

All the sounds and colors... The way the Rare symbol pops up as the first thing you see and the soundtrack kicks in at the title screen and everything shimmers like... It takes me way back.

It feels so fresh and new but familiar at the same time. Whenever I start up the game I find something new and different that I like about it.

I want to know what games get you all excited and feelsy when you start them up. The games that you could play when you are having a bad time that turn your day around.

Please gush as much as possible. All details are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• dkc2backdrop.png

#2 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

Mega Man X makes me really nostalgic

Contra always makes me feel good about myself

eKawlATs.jpg

#3 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Ninja Gaiden 3, Castlevania 1 & 4, and Super C are always my "just turn it on and GO" games. Perfect to unwind.

Good lord, the fucking

ags39kE.jpg

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#4 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,456 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

mario kart (ds or 64). un squadron. scorched earth. any iteration of smw, romhack or original. final fantasy america nr. 2. banana prince. actraiser. the blue marlin. summer carnival '92 - recca. dragonball z: super butoden 2. ice hockey (nes). extreme g 1&2. eliminator boat duel. kabuki quantum fighter. hitler no fukkatsu. tetrastar. adventures in the magic kingdom. batman (take your pick). joy mecha fight. ninja gaiden 3.

Posted Image

#5 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

Totally feel that same way about DKC2. That tiny fragment of a screenshot you posted got to me. 

This is a pretty preliminary response off the top of my head but I'd instantly think of:

Pokemon Red Version...when I sit down and seriously think about that game I get a little teary eyed. When I remember first leaving Pallet Town with that music playing. It reminds me of simpler times. It reminds me of specific friends I had when I was 5 or 6 years old who I haven't talked to in at least 15 years, yet I wonder how they're doing now.

Final Fantasy 6, 7 and 9 give me that same feeling. When springtime comes every year I throw on the FF9 soundtrack and go on long walks and it makes me happy. During the early Winter and closer to the holidays I listen to the FF7 soundtrack. I think it's because I associate those times of year with when I first heavily played those games. Any time I find to replay those games winds up being extremely rewarding and helps me learn more about myself.

Turtles in Time will always be there for me and is always a game I can pick up and play to forget life.

Super Mario World is pure happiness to me. Every sound from that game. Everything just makes me happy.

Strike Gunner on the SNES as well as Super Bomberman 2 really take me back to happy times way before a certain friend of mine got brain cancer. Playing these games two player nonstop with Doug and Tyler (the other Tyler) even well into middle school when SNES wasn't "cool" anymore. I could kind of lump Rampage 2 into that category, but that isn't a game I feel is always "there for me" so much as giving me the same type of nostalgia.

Smash 64 is 100% on this list though

On that previous note...I think I will add Streets of Rage 2. EgoOrb/Tyler will know exactly what I'm talking about. This doesn't hearken back to my time as a small child so much as it does to 6 or 7 Summers ago.

Super Mario RPG for sure too...I'll have to do a full write up of this at some point, but that game had a huge impact on my life.

In just about every single example it winds up being the music that really gets me and not just the colors of the sprits or the aesthetics of the game. There is also no coincidence that most of the ones that come to mind are SNES games. SNES was my first console. My dad trash picked an NES for me when I was young, but it stopped working soon after and my mom gave away the few NES games I had. So I had to rediscover my love for the NES a few years later. But SNES never left my life.

#6 EgoOrb

EgoOrb

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

Ninja Gaiden 3, Castlevania 1 & 4, and Super C are always my "just turn it on and GO" games. Perfect to unwind.

I feel for super castlevania 4 super hard.

Probably because I grew up with SNES games, they are generally the ones that I get really nostalgic for. That, with the sprite art and sound card just gives me chills you know?

Turtles in Time and Earthbound are a few others that make me happy.

#7 EgoOrb

EgoOrb

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

In just about every single example it winds up being the music that really gets me and not just the colors of the sprits or the aesthetics of the game.

AWWW YEAH

#8 Serena

Serena

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Chrono Trigger or Super Castlevania IV for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I like those games.

#9 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

Oh, man... Where do I even start?

I could make a list of all the games that I have a lot of nostalgia for, but it would be incredibly long.

Maybe I should ask other people what games they would associate with me...

Anyone here want to name some?

#10 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,659 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

Tetris
Super Metroid
LttP
Final Fantasy 4
Nights

all those are basically infinitely replayable...but my real zen gaming head space comes from pinball. Something about the concentration mixed w how much fun most tables are puts me in such a good mood.
(it involves satan disguising himself as a bird who unlocks police cars!)

FOLLOW NOW

#11 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,090 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:47 AM

Oh, man... Where do I even start?

I could make a list of all the games that I have a lot of nostalgia for, but it would be incredibly long.

Maybe I should ask other people what games they would associate with me...

Anyone here want to name some?

Mario Maker. :P

DNa7A7D.jpg

#12 mrtame

mrtame

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:33 AM

Super Mario World is probably my longest running and most often "pick up and play anytime" game. Super Metroid is a very close second.

Over the last 10 or so years, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Binding of Isaac are the ones I feel inclined to randomly play most often. 

Dj5ZiPN.png

#13 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:45 AM

My list is very different than most of yours.

But for me, the real nostalgia, and that feeling of "the gold old days" happens with:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

OutRun

Sonic 1

SMW

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#14 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:49 AM

dark souls

sgy5Biv.gif

#15 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

Pong always makes me feel like a kid again.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feels, music, nostalgia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users