149 replies to this topic

#31 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

I don't really hear any post rock in bands like Chon anyway. Am I missing something? When I think of post rock I think of shit like Mogwai. 

A lot of these bands are really good, but I think the djentiness takes away from some bands. It's basically math rock with rhythm guitar chugs and really good production. I think coming from a background of listening to metal I was super turned off at first by the -core aesthetic coming from those kind of bands. Or I just really hated fans of those type of bands that I went to school with, despite the music itself being pretty cool.

But Chon is one of my favorite bands and I like a lot of that stuff. I guess I'm having a hard time distinguishing this as an actual "genre" because it isn't one (I mean that's totally fine because it isn't like "Space Harrier" is a "real" genre anyway :P). Is this thread basically "bands that are math rocky but more melodic with modern professional production"? Because that's what the music sounds like. (Not trolling)

And oh my god JPop Marty Friedman is mah dude.

#32 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,386 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

I dislike "post rock" but I like metal and most of page 1 is metal in my mind and I like that stuff.

I don't think i learned anything new today.

giphy.gif

#33 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

Incredibly
Melodic
Metal
Augmenting
Dissonance

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#34 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

I find Polyphia incredibly hard to listen to for more than a song or too, I got Muse last year at some point and I just find it very taxing to the ears, like the equivalent of a wall-of-sound of Def Leppard without any space to breath, and really peppy. Just wears me down.

I find Plini much easier to listen to. His releases have been very good so far and one of my favorites. We (myself, Spookmeister C, Shoe, Sherv, thecreeper and theDude) saw him and Intervals live in Lancaster and it was a good grip. Also pretty incredible to see guys play that fast, technically and accurately live. Plini didn't mess up once. I said wow! I haven't even had a chance to listen to his new song/teaser for the new album.

polyphia is weird. they absolutely belong in this thread, but my opinion on them is constantly changing. they have a number of songs that are really fucking awesome when they stand alone. but I agree entirely that listening to Muse is very taxing. I think that their new album renaissance is MUCH better about this, but its still overwhelming at times. 

also, the one time i saw them live it was one of the worse performances I've ever seen, and it really altered my view of them. I have much more appreciation for bands that can perform live the same way they do in the studio. if you watch polyphia's audiotree, and then watch CHON's audiotree, you can clearly see a difference. Polyphia live sounded like complete garbage and they flubbed a LOT of notes. i've seen CHON live and they were literally flawless.

also i really wish i knew you were going to that intervals/plini tour. I would have made that trek for sure, i love both of them

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#35 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

That's just it tho. Polyphia does belong in this thread, and it's just not something that seems musically complete. When I listened to Renaissance I was like "ok". This type of music is full of good ideas that are left free to suck the music out of itself. It's hard to explain what I mean, but like when I write a song I'll sit down at record 20-30 minutes of guitar or keyboard, and then I start the process of cutting and editing that into something that sounds like a song. Stuff like Polyphia sounds like what I have before I start editing to make it musical. I think it has to do with youth and cred, like we all had too much to prove when we were younger, but we didn't have the resources to be producing music of this quality or shit like youtube to be learning guitar at such a fast pace. 

tl;dr: It's very immature music that's trying desperately to be complex so it can prove that it is mature but it loses the point.

That aside, it's music and I love all music, and it's great that kids these days are actually playing instruments and learning production. We live in great times.

amTr0fm.png

#36 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

(I mean that's totally fine because it isn't like "Space Harrier" is a "real" genre anyway :P).

How dare you?????? haha.

tl;dr: It's very immature music that's trying desperately to be complex so it can prove that it is mature but it loses the point.

That aside, it's music and I love all music, and it's great that kids these days are actually playing instruments and learning production. We live in great times.

This. Especially about the great times, these bands (polyphia like and the whole djent scene) are making kids pickup guitars again, and in my book, that already makes them winners. If i like the music they're playing or not is beyond the point.

And who knows, perhaps in 10 years, these guys will be like a new wave of fusion. Which i won't mind at all.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

#37 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

1:02 in, if the link thing doesn't work.

https://www.youtube....vdmifDSk#t=1m2s

Not enough tooth cutting and playing in live bands makes for bedroom shredders wanking into protools on headless guitars for hours on end to make music that is ultimately devoid of susbtance.

eKawlATs.jpg

#38 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

i agree with pretty much everything you just said for sure. like i said, my opinion on polyphia changes pretty frequently.

i know its really ignorant to make assumptions like this, but there's a weird trend amongst a lot of these younger bands where they just want to play as many notes as possible for the sake of guitar-wankery. i think the reason for this is because they are/were all rich kids whose parents just paid for the most expensive lessons/gear for their children because they had no other way of entertaining them. so rather than making melodic and passionate music its a lot of just 'hey look how fast i can play these notes'

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#39 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

where's the melody? I just hear guitar leads forever

These motherfuckers need a lesson on melodic sequence and making catchy melodies

#40 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,838 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

this came up in my spotify recommendations and i'm actually really into. there's a lot of sick fusion-y/lett-y stuff in here as well.

this is the whole EP, but its pretty short. part @ 2:50 is so fucking baller

This is so fucking good.

Guys, I don't think "catchy" is necessary a lot of the time. Like, I find this EP really catchy but most of the time when I need catchy, I'll listen to T-Square or some vanilla-ass metal genres. When I'm listening to prog or fusion just as a new listening experience, should I give a shit about "catchy" when that's only one out of hundreds of possible displays of musicianships? Because I don't. Lots of people don't.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#41 munzadeth

munzadeth

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

https://rolandbandsf.bandcamp.com/

Do these guys count?  I think I heard about them in another Shizz thread somewhere and I ended up getting sucked in and buying the vinyl.  It's more on the side of the fucking champs than polyphia or chon or scale the summit, but I think there are still mathy/posty elements in there.

#42 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

I think melody is neccesary at least SOME of the time. Cool riffs aren't what you hum.

Besides good music has CONTRAST, if they stopped for a moment to put an actual melody in there it would be a wonderful refreshing contrast to Rifftopia 24/7. It literally needs to be like 10 seconds during the song. But nope. Ugh.

#43 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

The thing I like about this stuff is that to get that good at an instrument technically you have to be serious, and anyone who is serious will eventually seek out a deeper understanding of music and what makes a song. So right now a lot of these bands are playing 16th note runs for 9 minutes at 170bpm, but I think eventually we'll have some really good shit from these players. Over the past 10 years we've had some really awful genres pop up where there really isn't musicianship at all, so I'm thankful that there's actual practicing and learning going on here.

amTr0fm.png

#44 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

The thing I like about this stuff is that to get that good at an instrument technically you have to be serious, and anyone who is serious will eventually seek out a deeper understanding of music and what makes a song. So right now a lot of these bands are playing 16th note runs for 9 minutes at 170bpm, but I think eventually we'll have some really good shit from these players. Over the past 10 years we've had some really awful genres pop up where there really isn't musicianship at all, so I'm thankful that there's actual practicing and learning going on here.

I used to only wanna play Punk Rock 220 BPM shit. Tons of fills and be flashy as hell. And that's all i did.

Now. I just wanna play drums to Wave Race and pull back like Akira Jimbo. So I think once these guys nut all their juices out, they will wanna nap with some good shit

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#45 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Cool riffs aren't what you hum.

I disagree. I hum cool riffs every day of my life. They are burned into my soul.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users