4387 replies to this topic

#4336 kareshi

kareshi

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

have you met sudden irrational decisions to deflect the news cycle? They will get way worse than abandoning Kurds.
Reading: "Don Quixote" by Cervantes

#4337 brodan

brodan

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

have you met sudden irrational decisions to deflect the news cycle? They will get way worse than abandoning Kurds.

there was nothing sudden about that. he just chose to do it at his most convenient time, but it was in russia's best interest and he would have done it at some point regardless

Why the fuck cant I see when I close my eyes?

#4338 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

I could be wrong, but it feels like this is it.

#4339 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

Trump has been coordinating with Erdoğan for years, and Turkey is a NATO ally of the US, and a large customer of Western arms dealers. The military alliance that the US had with the SDF (Syrian Democratic Forces - YPG/YPJ and other groups in the region) was one born out of the convenience of having a common enemy (Daesh/ISIS), and manifested in the form of the US providing air support against ISIS while the SDF did the vast majority of the actual fighting required to liberate and defend their communities. It was never a political alliance because the interests of capital and the US military are inherently at odds with the interests of the project of Democratic Confederalism in Northern Syria. The SDF was never under any illusion that the US were "on their side" and knew with absolute certainty that the day would come when their temporary alliance would end. They knew full well that once that happened their primary enemy would be the Turkish military. They knew from the beginning that Turkey was the biggest obstacle to overcome once the threat of ISIS has been taken care of, and that the US has a political, economic, and military alliance with Turkey. 

I'm also intentionally not referring to the SDF as "the Kurds" because that erases the multitude of other groups in the region fighting and living alongside them such as Arabs, Assyrians, Yazidis, Turkmen, and many others. Northern Syria is one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse regions in the Middle East, and the whole point of Democratic Confederalism was to empower all of these communities to work together to organize themselves around the principles of direct democracy, ecology, and the empowerment of women. Democratic Confederalism initially came out of the movement for Kurdish autonomy and the PKK, but expanded far beyond that in scope. It was a system specifically designed to include and unite all the different groups in the region to create democratic autonomy.

Erdoğan's fascist regime has been hell-bent on destroying any attempt at Kurdish autonomy. Turkey's invasion of Afrin last year showed how serious his genocidal intentions were. Afrin was bombed to shit, and the Turkish military intentionally destroyed the ecology of the region, including cutting down most of the olive trees which Afrin's economy was based on. Civilians were killed in the open, and Turkey worked to ethnically cleanse the area through displacing the local population and having their homes and neighborhoods resettled. 

I don't like that the prevailing narrative around this is about Trump "betraying the Kurds" or Trump "being stupid and pulling out the troops instead of finishing the job". This isn't just some isolated blunder on Trump's part. It was an intentional and carefully planned move that has been in the works for many years. The US military had no business being in Syria in the first place. The issue here is that Trump personally coordinated with Erdoğan to facilitate a genocide. The US military gave Turkey intelligence on the positions of the SDF and Trump coordinated an arms deal with Erdoğan, and gave him the explicit OK to invade. The US is *not* giving up their imperial hold on the region. The Turkish invasion is literally US imperialism. 

Things aren't looking good and a lot of people are going to die from this. But let's not erase the agency of the people who are there on the ground opposing the Turkish invasion. Don't forget that these people have proven capable of defending themselves long before any of this, that their communities are well organized, and that they have essentially been fighting this war for decades. They have a difficult fight ahead of them, but not all hope is lost. They also have allies around the world doing actions in solidarity with them, including in Turkey where there have been protests, riots, and the beginnings of uprisings in opposition to this invasion. It is very possible that this operation will turn out to be Turkey's Vietnam, and that it'll prove too expensive, both politically and economically, for them to continue. They're outright and openly committing genocide in front of the entire world after all.

What can you do to help? Read about what's happening in Northern Syria. Read about what's been happening there. Learn about the project of Democratic Confederalism, the Rojava revolution, the material conditions in the region that led to this, and about Turkey's history of aggression in the region. Combat misinformation (there is a lot of it in corporate media surrounding this). Keep an eye out for solidarity actions or demonstrations in your area. These will often end up taking the form of protests outside Turkish consulates/embassies, or offices of companies who collaborate with the Turkish military. 

#4340 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

Can we implement a feature where we make certain posts only visible to logged in accounts? I'd like to post some things about local developments in politics, but these developments include doxing attempts by n.e.0.-na-zies... so it'd be nice to not have to worry about potentially violent stalkers linking my account on here to my irl person.

fascist sympathetic youtubbers have been following me, photographing me and creeping my facebook...

ah well, let fear alter your behaviour and the terrorists are winning. fuck it.

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#4341 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Are all the new accounts for bots that want to log in just to comment on politics?

startrekanimated_zpsolyb2v0x.gif

#4342 exitlava

exitlava

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

Well, this sure is a thing that was done did and shown at a Drumpf supporter conference. Footage ripped from KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE. 

CW: Violence

https://twitter.com/...554549996503040

Live fast, eat trash. A bunch of ants in a person suit.🌹

Graphic Designer; Visuals as VISMANCIENNE8bitSF Ops • Previously 8bitLA

#4343 Leonidus

Leonidus

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

I don't like that the prevailing narrative around this is about Trump "betraying the Kurds" or Trump "being stupid and pulling out the troops instead of finishing the job".

Blunder or intentional, I'm still down for calling this the betrayal of the kurds.  I was considering a trip to Erbil too, because it's apparantly insanely cheap, the kurds made kurdistan one of the safest places in the middle east, and they love westerners.  Now who knows what will happen if you say you're American over there?  Fuck man.

Pimps don't commit suicide

#4344 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

Nancy Pelosi, ladies and gentlemen

https://tinyurl.com/y5pbgjg9

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me on Twitter: @LowPursuit, @TheUrVile, and/or @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Mixer *** Giphy *** Instagram *** Everywhere else

#4345 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,442 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

EHBmdVLW4AIk3IT.jpeg?resize=600%2C754&ss

absolutely humiliating. just...wow. straight up peak onion level stupidity

Posted Image

#4346 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

I wanna see a trump supporter read this and say to my face honestly they believe he is a great leader/negotiator/speaker/intelligent person

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#4347 TV's Frink

TV's Frink

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:24 PM

Why would this change their mind? After example #34,401, you can't honestly say to my face that example #34,402 would be the final straw.

#4348 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

Seriously, their base has no bottom. Nothing will ever change their minds, and they will vote for him again regardless.

#4349 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Top Toxic Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,442 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

i love the idea of all the equally evil (but less stupid/more competent) leaders like erdogan having to deal with the president writing them letters like he's signing a highschool yearbook. also:

Trump has made 13,435 false or misleading claims over 993 days. Check the WTFJHT archive for all of them.

Posted Image

#4350 exitlava

exitlava

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

I love the balance of the very formal address/salutation and the third grade rhetoric. 

IT'S A GREAT DEAL 

Live fast, eat trash. A bunch of ants in a person suit.🌹

Graphic Designer; Visuals as VISMANCIENNE8bitSF Ops • Previously 8bitLA

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users