Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

BONUS ROUND

Game #65: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon

Hey, didn't I beat this game already?

Actually, this time I played the Sega version of the game, and despite looking so similar, it's not the same game.

The Mega Drive version is only for one player and has different stages and bosses than the SNES one.

Played as Sailor Jupiter again so I could give my enemies a Suplex and a Giant Swing.

I had a tougher time with this one; I had to continue three times.

It's still pretty short as it has only five stages... took me over an hour to finish.

#602 GimmickChris

GimmickChris

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

#39 - Megaman X3! 

I grabbed this one as soon as it became available on 3DS VC, and I only just now beat it, ha ha. It was really tough! That Sigma fight was no joke :o 

I got the gold armor (thanks GameFAQs!) but didn't nab the sword, as I wanted the "normal" ending this time around. I might go for a different ending next time (since I also have this on the Gamecube X Collection). 

And that's it for the 16-bit MMX's I guess. I'm going to attempt another played-forever-but-never-beat game soon! 

#603 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

BONUS ROUND

Game #66: Star Fox

Took the level 1 route and beat it without using any continues.

I was worried at the end 'cause Phantron killed me a bunch of times, so I ended up fighting Andross on my last life.

#604 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:25 AM

Game #59: Monster World IV

Spoiler

You might remember me beating Wonder Boy in Monster World / Wonder Boy V: Monster World III earlier this year. This is the sequel and it's ditched Wonder Boy completely. You now play as Asha, but she may as well be called Wonder Girl. The world design itself is similar to WBIII and WBV, but not as open and non-linear as those. There is a central hub city that connects to 4 sub-worlds, so it feels less like you're exploring one huge world and more like you're being transported to different levels. The RPG elements are also scaled back and there's a much greater emphasis on platforming. You now have a helper creature and it gives you a lot of movement options and ways to traverse that weren't available in the previous games. The more elaborate dungeon design takes full advantage of your expanded set of abilities so you'll feel true platforming bliss. Combat is toned down to be way less frustrating, but I feel they went too far in the other direction and made it too easy. Though the overall design and feel has shifted from previous titles, MWIV is a real treat to play and it has some of the most vibrant, colorful visuals I've seen on the Genesis.

Game #60: Batman (Genesis)

Spoiler

Yet another version of Batman: The Movie: The Game based on the 1989 Tim Burton film. This one plays a little bit like the NES version, but slower and clunkier. The levels themselves are less interesting than the NES Batman, as there are lots of long straight corridors with constantly respawning thugs. There are also shmup levels where you control the Batmobile or the Batwing. The real standout here is the music. Naoki Kodaka is back and he really makes the Genesis sing. The songs are a perfect fit for a Batman title, and they far outshine the game itself. It's not really a bad game; Batman for NES just set a high bar and this one doesn't compare. In short, you're better off just listening to the soundtrack and reading that Joker poetry up above.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#605 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Game #61: Shadow Dancer

Spoiler

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was trying to do a Shinobi marathon, but couldn't beat the final boss of PC Engine Shinobi no matter how much I tried. Eventually I just had to accept defeat and move on to Shadow Dancer on the Genesis. It's a great sequel that continues the formula of the original, i.e. rescuing hostages for powerups, 1-hit death, emphasis on nail-biting risk/reward ninja combat. You get a new helper dog that can run ahead and distract a low-level enemy for you, which helps ease the stress a little bit. Good and challenging game all-around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #62: Battletoads (Genesis)

Spoiler

I've already voiced my opinion of the Genesis port here before. It's pretty much a slower and floatier version of NES Battletoads. It's easier and harder at the same time. The changes in physics and timing can throw you off if you're used to how tight and responsive the NES version plays. Also I swear to god there is a mid-air ramp in Turbo Tunnel that has a fucked up collision box because I miss it all the time even if I line it up perfectly. It doesn't happen with all the air ramps, just a single one with a magic pixel.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#606 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

BONUS ROUND

Game #67: Soul Blazer

Spoiler

Soul Blazer seems like Quintet's attempt to make ActRaiser into a different style of game.

In fact, all of their games seem to be about rebuilding the world after it was destroyed by some evil force.

The only time I didn't really enjoy myself was when I couldn't figure out how to proceed any farther.

Most of the time I made pretty steady progress as long I explored each area thoroughly, but there were a few times the solution needed to progress was a little too hard to figure out.

Sometimes I discovered the solution by accident, like when I needed a harp string and I just randomly found it by stepping on a skeleton.

It sucks having to backtrack every time you miss something and sometimes the game requires you to do it in order to proceed.

It's nice that all the equipment does something unique, but it was irritating having to go back to previous areas to finally destroy certain monster lairs because I didn't have the right sword and couldn't have gotten the sword until much later.

Also, does this game recycle all of ActRaiser's sound effects?

#607 GimmickChris

GimmickChris

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Also, does this game recycle all of ActRaiser's sound effects?

Almost all of them, yes lol 

I've had a busy weekend! Thanks to my new rigorous streaming schedule, I've cleared 2 more titles! 

#40 - Secret of Mana
Not much to say here, just a standard playthrough! My old streaming computer broke in the middle of playing this one, so it has by far taken the most time this year, probably about 5 months?

#41 - Star Fox 
First time ever beating it! Also the first game I've beaten on my new SNES Classic. Excited to finally play the long-lost sequel now!

#608 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

All those SNES Quintet games seem to have a shared pool of sound fx

#609 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Game #63: Mega Man 7

Spoiler

Always a fun playthrough, and it gets way more hate than it deserves. Yeah, the character sprites are huge and can make things a bit cramped, but I never have an issue adjusting to it. I like that they actually tried to develop Mega Man's character a bit and had him tell Wily off for pulling the same old shit while pointing a charged arm cannon in his face. Like he was so burned from Bass's betrayal that he got mega super pissed and decided to stop being so naive. When he walks away from the burning castle (and doesn't even turn around to look at the explosion!) he looks MAD AS HELL. Too bad they threw this development out the window with MM8 and beyond.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #64: Super Castlevania IV

Spoiler

One of my favorite CVs, if not my absolute favorite. It's so much more fun and less frustrating than the NES CVs and I'm able to enjoy it significantly more because of that. IMO, this embodies everything good and right about the generational leap from NES to SNES (which puts it in the same league as Super Mario World, Link to the Past, FF2/4, Super Metroid and Gradius 3). It's hard to explain why, but that's just how I feel.

#610 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

BONUS ROUND

Game #68: Super Castlevania IV

There were a few games I've held off from playing until later in the year.

Castlevania is one such game; thought it would be a good game to play during October as Halloween approaches.

I'm generally not very good at Castlevania games, but Super Castlevania IV is one I'm capable of beating... barely.

I died a lot, though I fell down pits and got impaled on spikes a lot more often than I was defeated by any enemy.

#611 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

Games #65, 66, 67: Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 > 1 > 3

1 has the most nostalgia, ambience, atmosphere

2 has the tightest level design, tightest control, best use of animal buddies, sense of adventure and exploration, incentive to do bonus stages

3 has... nothing over the other 2. There are some good songs and interesting level gimmicks. Kiddy sucks, and having him replace Diddy was a bad call

#612 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

2 has the best music too ;)

But all 3 are great games. And released one year apart from one another!
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#613 GimmickChris

GimmickChris

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

#42 - Star Fox 2! 

Well I had to, didn't I? I REALLY enjoyed this game, and I'm looking forward to many more playthroughs :D 

#614 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

BONUS ROUND

Game #69: Demon Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Started a new file for the challenge.

I started out as Richter, rescued Maria and kept going until I got my first Game Over.

After that, I started over as Maria.

Other than Maria, the only other person I rescued was Annette, so I didn't get 100% completion.

Despite the fact Maria takes more damage than Richter, I find she's the easier of the two to play as.

She is a smaller target, she moves faster, she can double-jump, and her main attack can be used rapidly... even while moving.

#615 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, Maria is definitely the easy mode of the game (and more fun).

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users