649 replies to this topic

#646 juef

juef

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Work really took a toll on my gaming time this fall! :(  It's been 71 days between my last completed game for this challenge... They're RPGs though, so there's that...! I'll have to find shorter games if I want to be done with this challenge by the end of the month!

#33: Tengai Makyou Zero (SFC)!

This is a Super Famicom game that has only recently been translated (well, the patch was released in October), so of course I had to play it. It is good! It is not great, however.

It is unique in a way: it uses an internal clock to keep track of the time even when the game and console are turned off. I found most of the uses for this rather uninventive and forced, unfortunately... "Come back to see me between 8 AM and 6 PM", or "we have to split this in two, so come back on an even calendar day, which can also be split in two", stuff like that. The shops opened at different times, offered sales at specific intervals, and there were monthly events, which was neat. I missed most of these, if not all, and thankfully it didn't affect the gameplay much. I think...

The game itself is a fairly typical JRPG, but it is somehow boring: its structure goes like this:

Intro

Nation 1

Nation 2

Nation 3

Nation 4

Nation 5

Nation 6

"Final quest"

All these have special / unique things to them, but nations 2 through 5 are mostly copy/paste. "Oh no, baddie X did thing Y, now we're all sick, help us! BTW, you can't go to the next nation also because of thing Y." It gets old after 2-3 times...

There could be some improvements to the mechanics: some animations are sloooooooooooowww... Like when three monsters in a row cast a buffing spell, and each of these take 7-8 seconds. C'mon already, I'm gonna kill you all next turn anyway! Which reminds me: the game was rather easy for the most part, especially if you get a specific weapon which is insanely overpowered. The menus were nice since they had "bookmarks", and pagedown/up buttons... but they lagged. As if too many items made it too much for the poor SNES CPU and made the controls non-responsive. Same for the music: it often started to play about 2 seconds after entering an area. Speaking of the music, most of it was pretty good. Definitely no FF6 / CT, but assuredly worth a listen. The graphics were OK for the most part although some sprites were very bland looking. I did find most animations very well done, however!

In short: play it if you're fans of RPGs from that era or if you're bored; just don't have very high expectations, and you'll have a good time!

#647 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

Yeah I can take down the first 3 phases easily, I just feel I have no time to react to him running back and forth with my lack of melee attack. If I'm all ready to attack him head on, he'll run past me and get me in the back. Congrats for getting through that bullshit fight, I'm very impressed and might have to give it another shot.

It looks like there's a level select:

https://www.gamefaqs...-shinobi/cheats

You could try using that to get some practice in before doing a real run.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#648 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Game #80: Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)

Spoiler

Wanderers is sometimes considered the black sheep of the series and, appropriately enough, it has similarities to Zelda 2. In true Ys fashion you'll be grinding a lot before being able to progress, but thankfully you still plow through enemies very quickly as long as you're strong enough to take them on. I like that holding the attack button down practically turns your sword into a buzzsaw. Combat is very shallow and every boss fight pretty much involves you equipping the power ring and finding a way to cheese the boss enough that his life bar drains quicker than yours does while you're trading hits. The budget seems to be lower than Ys I & II and there is some hilariously bad voice acting. Music is spectacular though. The game is fun if you can overlook the dated quirks. Just avoid the garbage SNES version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #81: Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (Turbo CD)

Spoiler

IV goes back to the play style of I & II. It's definitely more polished and fleshed out than those were, but I still had issues when I had to backtrack to a previous area without any real direction from the game. I would basically hit a dead end on my current path and have to wander around old areas until I found a new path that happened to open up or someone who had something new to say. There are also more confusing maze dungeons, but they are not as brutal as the ones in part II. Of course the music rips. It's the best soundtrack of the entire series IMO. And it's superior to the Super Famicom version in every way.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#649 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

I guess you are aiming for 100, MegaMatt?
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#650 juef

juef

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

#34: Clue (SNES)!

Let me just get this out of the way: I'm a bit baffled when a game has the same ending screen whether you win or lose! :P Oh well! I've always loved the board game, and the SNES game is... a bit different, but I like it. It doesn't try to be more than it should be. Unless I've been really lucky, even the hardest difficulty is pretty easy, even with 5 computer players. Gotcha, Mrs White!

#35: Mickey's Ultimate Challenge (SNES)!

Yeah, I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for short games, here! :lol: This is clearly a game for kids, and it's really easy. The are some slight annoyances, though: should you give an item to the wrong person, you have to restart a challenge, which is just a pain. Also, I chose this picture for the "ending screen" just because I really messed up. The final challenge at the "Challenging" difficulty is is a 15-puzzle, but bigger (6x6). Look at the top of the clock in the link above. I thought it was perfectly fine, until I realized it was impossible to complete the challenge... because the top of the clock is supposed to be like this. I hated myself for the [actually pretty long] while it took for me to correct that mistake.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users