689 replies to this topic

#646 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Work really took a toll on my gaming time this fall! :(  It's been 71 days between my last completed game for this challenge... They're RPGs though, so there's that...! I'll have to find shorter games if I want to be done with this challenge by the end of the month!

#33: Tengai Makyou Zero (SFC)!

This is a Super Famicom game that has only recently been translated (well, the patch was released in October), so of course I had to play it. It is good! It is not great, however.

It is unique in a way: it uses an internal clock to keep track of the time even when the game and console are turned off. I found most of the uses for this rather uninventive and forced, unfortunately... "Come back to see me between 8 AM and 6 PM", or "we have to split this in two, so come back on an even calendar day, which can also be split in two", stuff like that. The shops opened at different times, offered sales at specific intervals, and there were monthly events, which was neat. I missed most of these, if not all, and thankfully it didn't affect the gameplay much. I think...

The game itself is a fairly typical JRPG, but it is somehow boring: its structure goes like this:

Intro

Nation 1

Nation 2

Nation 3

Nation 4

Nation 5

Nation 6

"Final quest"

All these have special / unique things to them, but nations 2 through 5 are mostly copy/paste. "Oh no, baddie X did thing Y, now we're all sick, help us! BTW, you can't go to the next nation also because of thing Y." It gets old after 2-3 times...

There could be some improvements to the mechanics: some animations are sloooooooooooowww... Like when three monsters in a row cast a buffing spell, and each of these take 7-8 seconds. C'mon already, I'm gonna kill you all next turn anyway! Which reminds me: the game was rather easy for the most part, especially if you get a specific weapon which is insanely overpowered. The menus were nice since they had "bookmarks", and pagedown/up buttons... but they lagged. As if too many items made it too much for the poor SNES CPU and made the controls non-responsive. Same for the music: it often started to play about 2 seconds after entering an area. Speaking of the music, most of it was pretty good. Definitely no FF6 / CT, but assuredly worth a listen. The graphics were OK for the most part although some sprites were very bland looking. I did find most animations very well done, however!

In short: play it if you're fans of RPGs from that era or if you're bored; just don't have very high expectations, and you'll have a good time!

#647 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,100 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

Yeah I can take down the first 3 phases easily, I just feel I have no time to react to him running back and forth with my lack of melee attack. If I'm all ready to attack him head on, he'll run past me and get me in the back. Congrats for getting through that bullshit fight, I'm very impressed and might have to give it another shot.

It looks like there's a level select:

https://www.gamefaqs...-shinobi/cheats

You could try using that to get some practice in before doing a real run.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#648 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Game #80: Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)

Spoiler

Wanderers is sometimes considered the black sheep of the series and, appropriately enough, it has similarities to Zelda 2. In true Ys fashion you'll be grinding a lot before being able to progress, but thankfully you still plow through enemies very quickly as long as you're strong enough to take them on. I like that holding the attack button down practically turns your sword into a buzzsaw. Combat is very shallow and every boss fight pretty much involves you equipping the power ring and finding a way to cheese the boss enough that his life bar drains quicker than yours does while you're trading hits. The budget seems to be lower than Ys I & II and there is some hilariously bad voice acting. Music is spectacular though. The game is fun if you can overlook the dated quirks. Just avoid the garbage SNES version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #81: Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (Turbo CD)

Spoiler

IV goes back to the play style of I & II. It's definitely more polished and fleshed out than those were, but I still had issues when I had to backtrack to a previous area without any real direction from the game. I would basically hit a dead end on my current path and have to wander around old areas until I found a new path that happened to open up or someone who had something new to say. There are also more confusing maze dungeons, but they are not as brutal as the ones in part II. Of course the music rips. It's the best soundtrack of the entire series IMO. And it's superior to the Super Famicom version in every way.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#649 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

I guess you are aiming for 100, MegaMatt?
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#650 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

#34: Clue (SNES)!

Let me just get this out of the way: I'm a bit baffled when a game has the same ending screen whether you win or lose! :P Oh well! I've always loved the board game, and the SNES game is... a bit different, but I like it. It doesn't try to be more than it should be. Unless I've been really lucky, even the hardest difficulty is pretty easy, even with 5 computer players. Gotcha, Mrs White!

#35: Mickey's Ultimate Challenge (SNES)!

Yeah, I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for short games, here! :lol: This is clearly a game for kids, and it's really easy. The are some slight annoyances, though: should you give an item to the wrong person, you have to restart a challenge, which is just a pain. Also, I chose this picture for the "ending screen" just because I really messed up. The final challenge at the "Challenging" difficulty is is a 15-puzzle, but bigger (6x6). Look at the top of the clock in the link above. I thought it was perfectly fine, until I realized it was impossible to complete the challenge... because the top of the clock is supposed to be like this. I hated myself for the [actually pretty long] while it took for me to correct that mistake.

#651 juef

juef

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

#36: Joe & Mac (SNES)!

While this game is not a masterpiece, it is simple in the right way, memorable, colorful and fun. Give it a try (especially if you can get a friend to play with you) if you haven't already!

#652 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

Game #82: Super Metroid

Spoiler

Come at me Zoast. This is a childhood favorite and I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #83: Final Fantasy V

Spoiler

Playing through an addictive soul-sucking mobile RPG called Brave Exvius actually gave me a renewed interest in Final Fantasy, a series I haven't touched in a very long time. So I started FFV back in May, got most of the way through and then just moved on to other games for some reason. I didn't pick this back up until October but I powered through the rest of it at that point. This was the 2nd time I've played it all the way through. First time was in the early 2000s on an emulator and I was abusing the fast forward / rewind functions like a true scum lord. This time through I studied a job guide and planned out everyone's career path in advance. This led to me having a very well-rounded party of freelancers at the end who could take down anything without much trouble. Not super challenging like the 4 Job Fiesta, but oh well. I also read up on some mechanics I didn't know about before, like how the Chicken Knife's attack stat goes up every time you run away from a battle. So you can basically "grind" escaping battles and get your Chicken Knife to be super powerful, and still be one of your best weapons by the end of the game. I think the story is a step back from the likes of FFIV, but it's probably harder to develop the main characters story-wise when they're basically a blank slate to let you go wild trying out the job system. In this case, sacrificing some story for the sake of gameplay is fine. The customization gives it more replayability then almost any other JRPG out there.

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#653 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

The RPG block continues.

Game #84: Final Fantasy IV (Namingway Edition) (SNES)

Spoiler

As soon as I finished FFV I moved backwards to FFIV. I've played through this one several times over a few different versions, and this time I used a hack that restored missing content from the original Japanese version. The translation has also been improved and updated to use modern series naming conventions. But most importantly, a dash button has been added to map movement to significantly speed up the slog (this is in line with the Thief's dash ability in FFV or Sprint Shoes in FFVI). If anyone considers this cheating and wants to disqualify the game, I will play something else. But IMO this is the best way to play FFIV. Download the patch here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game #85: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Spoiler

Another childhood favorite. I was lucky enough to find a used CT in the discount bin at Babbage's in 1997 or so. It heavily consumed much of my 7th-8th grade school years and at least 1 entire summer. I would go through New Game + over and over again to max out every character's level and stats as much as possible. I wanted to try every party loadout, every combination tech, every item effect. I mail-ordered the strategy guide from Nintendo Power so I would know how to get every single ending and acquire every item. It was an obsession to make sure I had experienced everything CT had to offer. I can safely say that no other game has had its hooks in me (at the expense of everything else in my life) as long as this one, and for the longest time I definitively declared it my favorite game of all time. At some point I moved away from JRPGs and CT lost some of its luster to me, but going back through it this year brought all those fuzzy memories back and I felt the magic all over again. There is just something special about it, some intangible quality that holds a power over me.

#654 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Game #85: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Spoiler

Another childhood favorite. I was lucky enough to find a used CT in the discount bin at Babbage's in 1997 or so. It heavily consumed much of my 7th-8th grade school years and at least 1 entire summer. I would go through New Game + over and over again to max out every character's level and stats as much as possible. I wanted to try every party loadout, every combination tech, every item effect. I mail-ordered the strategy guide from Nintendo Power so I would know how to get every single ending and acquire every item. It was an obsession to make sure I had experienced everything CT had to offer. I can safely say that no other game has had its hooks in me (at the expense of everything else in my life) as long as this one, and for the longest time I definitively declared it my favorite game of all time. At some point I moved away from JRPGs and CT lost some of its luster to me, but going back through it this year brought all those fuzzy memories back and I felt the magic all over again. There is just something special about it, some intangible quality that holds a power over me.

It definitely is a special game. My favorite JRPG for sure.
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#655 GimmickChris

GimmickChris

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

I did it y'all!

After reviewing the rules of the thread, I guess Chaos Control on Philips CD-i doesn't count? So my new official #49 is Fighter's History (beaten with mah boi Matlock last week) and #50 was a white whale of mine for almost 2 decades: Legend of the Mystical Ninja! It took 3 months because Konami. I still love it.

#656 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

15 more games to write about.

#86: Super Adventure Island

Spoiler

I went through the 4 NES/Famicom Adventure Island games last year, so it was only natural that I give this one a go. It's mostly like the original, lacking the overworld and dinosaur buddies of the sequels. Thankfully it was nowhere near as brutal and didn't have as many levels, but the last boss sucked. It's the Bowser fight from Super Mario Bros 3, but with little to no vertical room to maneuver, and less time to react. Pretty good game up until that point. Great Yuzo K soundtrack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#87: Super Adventure Island II

Spoiler

Here the series took a departure in the same vein as Wonder Boy and transformed into a Zelda II + Metroid style of game. You travel to several islands on a world map and find many different types of items and gear in order to gain new abilities and open up more of the map so you can progress. Great game.

#657 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,100 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

#12: Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genesis)

Spoiler

I played this game for the first time a few weeks ago when Eric Dude brought it over. I was surprised that we made it to the last level on the first loop, albeit on the default "practice" difficulty, in fairly short order. This made me want to go back on my own so here I am. I beat it on professional difficulty which seems to only be marginally harder. The game is generous with checkpoints, and since the stages are short, you don't actually have to go through much to reach the next checkpoint. 2nd loop is significantly easier due to access to the psycho cannon weapon.

Bosses were surprisingly not that hard. The main exception is the giant worm guy. I made the mistake of fighting him with the psycho cannon on the 2nd loop. It doesn't have much range which makes hitting his hearts pretty challenging especially considering the amount of other bullshit going on the screen. Probably died there 30+ times.

Great game. Your move, Eric Dude.

#658 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

I specifically remember trying to fight that boss over and over with the ultimate weapon and agonizing over having to give it up for something else.

#659 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,100 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

The thing is that you're stuck with it if you get to the boss with the psycho cannon. The US version of the game has checkpoints right at the boss, so I don't think there's a way so switch weapons once you're there. And since you have limited range and can only throw down when jumping, you have to shoot at the last possible moment before you land your jumps to hit the damn hearts.

Not sure what happens if you get there with the sword. Reset the game?

#660 Nuttz the Squirrel

Nuttz the Squirrel

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

BONUS ROUND

Game #77: Top Gear

First time beating this game.

I beat it on the amateur difficulty.

The game uses passwords, but they're only so you may start the game on later levels.

It doesn't matter if you were playing 2-Player previously or not, or what car you picked, or what you entered as your name.

Kensik played through some of the game with me, but I ended up beating the last stage on my own.

I know a useful trick for this game, too.

On the last lap, if you crash into one of the posts next to the finish line, you may be able to finish the race and also bounce off the post, making you cross the finish line again.

If this happens, you actually get the points for two positions!

There were a few races where I came in 1st and 2nd place, or I got 2nd and 3rd, allowing me to overtake the leader in the points!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users