48 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

The 80s vs 90s results are in, and the winners are Prince uf Darkness, Ailsean, Flik, Connor Engstrom and Wild_Cat! The second place goes to sigmabeta, and the third to Snappleman, finbeard and ErichWK! Thanks to everyone who entered, voted and attended the listening party. You rock!

#1 Prince uf Darkness, Ailsean, Flik, Connor Engstrom, Wild_Cat - Excitebike, Mach Rider, Paperboy, Rally Bike, Super Hang-On, Zippy Race - Bike Kid: The Musical (Team 80s) - good -0.17
#2 sigmabeta - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Bloody Teardrops (Team 90s) - above average +0.45
#3 Snappleman, finbeard, ErichWK - Daytona USA - Let's Go Away (Team 90s) - above average +0.31
#4 Ivan Hakštok - Final Fantasy 8 - I Want It The Forced Way (Team 90s) - above average +0.09
#5 WillRock - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Raining at Hyrule Castle (Team 90s) - above average +0.08
#6 Pumpkin King - Sonic the Hedgehog - Under the Starlight (Team 90s) - above average +0.03
#7 Daniel Caton - Metal Gear Solid - Acquainted With the Night (Team 90s) - above average -0.11
#8 Russian Attack (Claude D., Commander_Doyle, creepue, Harmsing, Inrudiment, streifig, TwoJan, Shipluss) - Robocop 3, Battletoads & Double Dragon [NES], Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - All The Hits (Team 90s) - above average -0.12
#9 Sagnewshreds, Katamari, Munzadeth - Contra - Black Future, Red Falcon (Team 80s) - above average -0.14
#10 clansmaneddie - Suikoden 2 - Refresh This Withered Earth (Team 90s) - above average -0.15
#11 Jer Roque, Thecoolestnerdguy, Lori Syngajewski, sigmabeta, posu yan, Andrew Filipski, Felipe Salinas, Daniel PirateCrab Woodyer, Natalie Clyne, mkafie, John Robert Matz, Ian Martyn - Final Fantasy - Building a Bridge to Corneria (Team 80s) - above average -0.18
#12 Sly - Xenogears - The Netherworld Awakens (Team 90s) - above average -0.21
#13 Kadmium - Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Airstrike (Team 90s) - above average -0.22
#14 Moire Effect (BluuMonk, SuprMelO)- DuckTales - To the Moon (80s Power Ballad) (Team 80s) - above average -0.24
#15 norg, Mega Beardo - Cybernoid - You Can't Avoid the CYBERNOID (Team 80s) - above average -0.29
#16 Scrab Cakes - Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 6 - MapQuest (Team 90s) - above average -0.3
#17 Wake - Mother - Probing Tank (Team 80s) - above average -0.32
#18 Glitch Bots - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Arcade] - Green Theater (Team 80s) - above average -0.33
#19 PokerusVGM, Limaco - Pokemon Gold/Silver - And Justice For Lance (Team 90s) - above average -0.44
#20 creepue - DuckTales 2 - Sleeping Sand (Team 90s) - average +0.44
#21 Scaredsim - Cyber Troopers Virtual-On - Sweet as Temjin (Team 90s) - average +0.38
#22 GamBit - Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge, James Bond Jr., Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters [NES] - Turtle's Agent In My Car (Team 90s) - average +0.3
#23 newip - Golden Axe - Axe to Grind (Team 80s) - average +0.29
#24 jmr, streifig, ErichWK, Stemage - Maniac Mansion [NES] - The Boys Are Still Doing Research for Phil Lynott's Autobiography (Team 80s) - average +0.27
#25 zykO - Desert Falcon - The OG (Team 80s) - average +0.26
#26 Brandon Strader - Omikron: The Nomad Soul - Seven Days (Team 90s) - average +0.19
#27 Julian Spillane, Epic Game Music - Journey to Silius - Come With Me (If You Want to Live) (Team 90s) - average +0.15
#28 tibone - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time - Pizza Power (Team 90s) - average -0.08
#29 Trap Fanatic - Live A Live - Love-a-Live ~School Demon King Project~ (Team 90s) - average -0.1
#30 Hat, Beret - PaRappa the Rapper - The Masters of the 90's (U Rappin') (Team 90s) - average -0.18
#31 ionvortex - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Hot Apes In Your Area (Team 90s) - average -0.45
#32 valence - Seiken Densetsu 3 - Down a Forbidden Path (Team 90s) - average -0.47
#33 Adam Driskell - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Fairy Fountain (Team 90s) - below average +0.47
#34 SonikBuster - Fury3 - Assault on Tiamat HQ (Team 90s) - below average +0.46
#35 Reuben Spiers - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Know the Truth (Team 90s) - below average +0.38
#36 pingosimon - Legend of Zelda - Ganon (High Quality Rip) (Team 80s) - below average -0.1
#37 harmonikkka - Final Fantasy 7 - A Flail Most Epic (Team 90s)  - bad -0.03
Voters: 46

Next month is:

Brevity Month

Any game is allowed, but the entries have to be shorter than 60 seconds. All other standard rules apply. The deadline is January 28th, 1PM EST. Send your songs to dodsongs@gmail.com, as usual.

Banner was done in little over 60 seconds by Nate. :)

17-01-Brevity.jpg

#2 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hat's should have placed higher!

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#3 ShawnPhase

ShawnPhase

Judge Dredd, Motherfucker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

#24 jmr, streifig, ErichWK, Stemage - Maniac Mansion [NES] - The Boys Are Still Doing Research for Phil Lynott's Autobiography (Team 80s) - average +0.27

wtf are you guys deaf, ahah

huh1.gif

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Ok, now that I woke up, a few words about my entry:

A while ago, I argued with someone that the Black Mages version of Force Your Way (and, as a matter of fact, most other covers of it I've heard) sucks because it kinda ignored the best part of the source - the middle section. So I decided to cover it for this month, while adding a bit of a swing because it always seemed fitting in my head. And I knew from the start that I needed to spice up that middle section with something, hence why all those 90s references. :)

This was also the first time ever I recorded acoustic guitar using a mic. But by the time I figured the correct micing technique, the deadline was almost over so that's why it sounds a bit thin.

I'm really glad that people enjoyed the song! I really wasn't expecting a top 5 finish as I think several entries that placed behind were better (WillRock and Russian Attack especially, and Contra is one of the best Contra remixes I ever heard), but with this many entries, some placements are decided by people randomly moving their voting sliders a bit further to the left or right.

Thanks everyone for a great duel, it's been a pleasure hosting this one. I think I'll also be taking care of Brevity Month before streifig returns, so please bring the same amount of quality to it! :D

Love you all. <3

#5 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Some pretty cool songs this month. An obvious one to win it with PuD's song... really long though! 

But IMO zykO's should have placed higher! Loved that one, it was really catchy. My favorite one out of the bunch.

Anywho, here's my piano cover on youtube... Also, I'm thinking I'll get a little more involved this year. 

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

I manage to transcribe, arrange and record both a main entry and an alt today. All that's left is mixing.

My productivity is back after a pretty bad 2016!

#7 bjkmenu

bjkmenu

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

#9 Sagnewshreds, Katamari, Munzadeth - Contra - Black Future, Red Falcon (Team 80s)

hi

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Wait, we're allowed to be on more than one entry now?

#9 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

Wait, we're allowed to be on more than one entry now?

For Magfest months, you're allowed to be on two entries, but you can only be the main arranger on one.

#10 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

This applies to other months too. The amendment has been in effect since Collab Month.
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#11 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

wtf are you guys deaf, ahah

Btw, that phaser wasn't Small Stone, it was Phase 90. Well, a Guitar Rig 5 effect emulating Phase 90 but whatever ;) 

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#12 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

I may have listened to Bike Kid 5+ times at work today.  :ph34r:

Damn you guys.

#13 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

#9 Sagnewshreds, Katamari, Munzadeth - Contra - Black Future, Red Falcon (Team 80s)

hi

Yo wassup wassup

#14 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

hi

Yo wassup wassup

this was sooooooo f-ing amazing guys!!!!! i remember when you told me about your concept idea for this last yr sam, couldn't have imagined you'd have done it so well. 

#15 Roque

Roque

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Whoa, 11th.  I didn't expect to break 50%.  I'll take it!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users