• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Pinball entries are up! 9 mains, one alt:

http://dwellingofdue.../17-02-pinball/

The listening party is scheduled tomorrow at 9PM EST on 8bitX:

https://www.facebook...43741149080458/

Voting deadline is February 28th, 11:59PM EST. Send your votes to dodsongs@gmail.com.

#2 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

No Sonic Spinball and only one Pokemon Pinball entry? Disappointed. 

Edit: some weird doubple post happened.

#3 3ngag3

3ngag3

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Edit: some weird doubple post happened.

Disappointment is worth repeating.

3fb.png

Use 800 gigabytes of samples, I give approximately 0 gigafucks.

It's because pooping is the shared human experience. It's a universal language, like Jazz.

#4 Kirk

Kirk

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

this pinbot song

giphy.gif

sgy5Biv.gif

#5 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

BUT there is Devil's Crush/Dragon's Fury. That wins the whole thing for me. =)

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#6 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

Fuck yeah, two Devil's Crush entries!

BANDCAMP - Featuring my newest release, Maiden Voyage a tribute to the Star Ocean games
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#7 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Listening party tonight! I'll try to be there, not sure if I'll manage to wake up though.

#8 Stemage

Stemage

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

I guess I missed it? Facebook invite said 9PM PST earlier today. Ah well.

#9 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:49 AM

If anyone has the chat log, can you please post it here or send it to me so I can upload it to the website?

#10 Warrior Bob

Warrior Bob

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

I couldn't make the listening party and that is a damn shame because I'm having a blast listening through right now

#11 Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

I couldn't make it either. :( 

#12 Roque

Roque

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

I should probably write some reviews...

#13 Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'll try to write some reviews after class tonight. :) 

Being sick has super-derailed everything for me. 

#14 Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

BANZAI RUN: King of the Hill - Great guitar tone, nice concise playing which is always a plus, having loose and off-tempo playing is a huge distraction for me. Good mixing, though I think I would've liked to hear a little more bass in the mix to really lay a foundation for the song to hit a little harder. I think I would've preferred a slightly more eclectic arrangement, but still a fun a track. 

BLACK KNIGHT 2000: Black Knight 2049 - Bitcruuuuuush. I like the vocal mixing in this song, which is coming from someone who just can't mix vocals to save his life for some reason. The drum samples are a little flat. I enjoy that the entrant isn't afraid to mix the guitars a little more loudly than a lot of people, who kind of sit them tamely underneath everything. The track as a whole could've probably benefited from some higher-quality samples, with the choirs and whatnot, but you work with what you've got, eh? 

DEVIL'S CRUSH: Pinned Beyond the Devil's Balls - Anonymity compromised. :P On one hand, this song is expertly performed and very well sequenced. On the other hand, the drum samples are a little dull-sounding and the guitar tone sounds pretty boxy. However, the entrant arranged everything in the absolute best-possible fashion to minimize those downsides, to the point that I didn't think about it at all after the initial instrument introductions. And otherwise, it's a real high-energy track, a super toe-tapper. And as always, somebody knows how to craft a synth lead, alright. 

DEVIL'S CRUSH: Steel Balls So Hard - I now miss my nylon guitar very much...gotta get that fixed. Interesting take on the track I just heard, I feel if the guitars were a little more hi-fi it (maybe quad-layered and scooped a bit) would've really helped this track to punch harder, as there's a whole lot of mid-frequency content while the parts of the track that are supposed to really punctuate and accent, the electronic drums, are kind of left in the back a little bit. Aside from that priority mismatch, I like it though!

MARIO PINBALL LAND: Italian Ice - Hmmm, the guitar playing is nice and tight on this track, but the recordings are so lo-fi! I wonder if the entrant was trying to put them in a "room" with the rest of the instruments and just went a little too far, or they just didn't have a nice mic to record with? It sucks either way because the guitar playing is really dynamic and I like it a lot. Kind of the same issue with the acoustic bass as it would seem, 'cause all the other instruments sound like they sit in their proper place in the mix. The arrangement as a whole is really chill, I like it a lot, just wish there wasn't so much warble! 

PIN BOT: A.S.S. (The Pinball Warrior) - What the hell is the association between Rush and this game/track, I wonder? lol What an absolute mindfuck, but a well-produced mindfuck at the very least. The drums are super expressive, the bass is nice and punchy, the guitars are loud but not overpowering, and probably most importantly it's a very dynamic piece with lots of movement. The chorus lead is nice and shreddy but the player knew not to abuse that through the whole track, which is refreshing. Kinda wish that clean tone at the end made more than one appearance! 

PINBALL FANTASIES: Chambers of Steel - It's our trumpeteer again! What an interesting mix, to compare the source material would be very interesting. I like the DX pianos. Those drums are an odd addition to a swath of otherwise very organic instruments, and the mix itself is a little odd in that it's implying major dynamic changes but isn't necessarily sonically delivering them. Kind of sounds like an anime theme, now that I think about it. The trumpet is actually a lot more dynamic than the rest of the instruments which is a bit confusing to the ear, yet at the same time it's placed at the "correct" volume in the mix. Weird! 

POKEMON PINBALL: The Paradise of Flowers, the Sea, and Pokémon - I'm a real sucker for a nice square lead, like a good VGM nerd should be. I like the layering on this track, I'm always compelled by people who can do full mixes without something like electric guitar holding down the fort for a lot of the sonic space. Something about the song feels a little "loose", like things aren't necessary synced up in a nice pocket, which I gotta figure is a keyboard player playing pretty much every part by hand. Happy mixes always get bonus points from me. 

SWORDS OF FURY: Lionman vs. Balrog - The hero is finally battling the bad guy in this cheesy 80s action thriller! I like the drum samples and the attention paid to do some varied sequencing. The guitar struck me as being very "POD'ish" at first, but the playing made me forget about it pretty quick, extremely tight performance and the lead tone is just about perfect. The syncopation is handled expertly, great separation. I was kind of hoping for a real wall of sound to hit me at some point where the guitars just laid out on chords, but I'll take it. When the guitar harmonies came in I was very pleased with the consistent playing. 

#15 Roque

Roque

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

Gonna be listening to DoD all day on loop while at work, will write reviews on my commute home.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users