Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

Results for Free Month are in! 

#1 M-H - Eschatos - Lellar Stight - good -0.46
#2 Karl Brueggemann - Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Funky Female Ninja - above average +0.4
#3 GamBit - DuckTales 2 - Pharaoh's Mysteries - above average +0.31
#4 Creepue - Journey to Silius - Inside the Spaceship - above average +0.22
#5 Affection State - Battletoads - One-Hundred-Meter Wave - above average +0.2
#6 TwoJan - Power Blade 2 - Synthetic Blade - above average +0.2
#7 Sagnewshreds, zykO, Katamari - Assassin's Creed - Altaïr Ibn-Ma'Ass - above average +0.15
#8 pingosimon - Final Fantasy 5 - The Decisive Battle - above average +0.11
#9 Shipluss - Undertale - Piece for Piano x3 - above average +0.07
#10 PokerusVGM - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - Diamond Dust - above average +0.06
#11 Rydeen - Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master - Wrath of The Whirlwind - above average +0.01
#12 Ivan Hakštok - Final Fantasy X-2 - 1000 Notes - above average -0.02
#13 Boroda-kun - Shatterhand - Shatter My Heart - above average -0.1
#14 Scrab Cakes - Final Fantasy 7 - The Place We Called Home - above average -0.12
#15 newip - Battletoads & Double Dragon [SNES] - Lost In Space - above average -0.17
#16 Careless Juja, Brandon Strader - Final Fantasy 6 - Leap of Faith - above average -0.2
#17 DEMON ShineGami  - Golden Axe 3 - Golden Axe 3 (Metal Medley) - above average -0.34
#18 clansmaneddie - Nantettatte Baseball - Safe - average +0.47
#19 valence - Contra - Snow Field Blues - average +0.28
#20 Daemon9623 - Misty Blue - Closer to You - average -0.01
#21 cetera - Bubble Bobble - Bubbler Bobble - below average +0.17
#22 Reuben Spiers - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Angel Island's Ocean Palace - below average +0.09
#23 Harjawaldar - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Ingen ting varer evig - below average +0.07
Voters: 21

Congrats to M-H on the win, and thanks to everyone who entered, voted or reviewed! We hope you all get your money for nothing and your chicks (or dudes) for free.

Next month is...

EUROPE MONTH

17-05-Europe.png

Games made by European developers or soundtracks composed by European composers. Other standard rules apply.

The deadline for submissions is May 27th, 2PM EDT. Send your songs to dodsongs@gmail.com.

#2 dasaten

dasaten

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

that banner is amazing.

#3 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Oh cool 7th place isn't bad for a free month with all of those kick ass entries :)

I've been sitting on this one for a while. Recorded most of it over a year ago because it was originally for an album that I no longer want to be a part of for personal reasons. Super stoked that I was able to collab with zykO! I wanted to make music with him since I've met the dude. I did the arranging and all of the metal stuff (desert thrash ftw) and he did all of the weird exotic instruments. Katamari helped with mixing at the last minute when I decided to say fuck it and enter it into DoD.

Also M-H's entry was cool and all, but Cetera got robbed. Bubbler Bobble was the best entry.

I think Pingo and Scrab Cakes deserved to place higher too, but I guess that's just me. Pingo's entry was fucking amazing. A top notch straight cover of one of my favorite pieces of video game music. The playing was really well done. Scrab Cakes' entry was super duper pretty :)

#4 shahan

shahan

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Daemon9623 i wanna close to you so bad dawg.

also i legit had bubbler bobble stick in my head for like 3 days yo.

#5 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hooray! I was lazy and played Zelda instead of voting and reviewing yesterday. I'll still go ahead do some reviews soon.
BRAINMEAT - My original metal album on Bandcamp (free)
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

Welp, after listening to all the entries, I guess my entry is about right where it needs to be. I guess I won't leave recording the leads for the last day next time. Although I'm quite happy with how that acoustic guitar solo turned out because I just improvised a few takes and picked the best one.

Gotta step up my game, I've been slacking off too much while other people were improving a lot. :)

#7 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Damn, M-H!!!

ALSO! WTF! Scrab Cakes was robbed! That was insane. Who did you get to do barbershop with?? Also missed opportunity for a simpsons B-Sharps reference.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#8 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yeah Scrab's is great, everyone needs to check that one out.

WHO is voting Battletoads & Double dragon so low????  That one was soooo good.  Maybe more if you know the original.

I'd love some feedback on mine!  I'm not sure how to make a recorded violin sound better.  Maybe there's no helping the dead room I'm in.

#9 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Man, this was a really good month all around, and a great turnout! Just some thoughts on some stuff since I had no time to write reviews and I honestly was only able to give some tracks a single pass before things came up:

M-H, WOW, I already loved your sound but this was definitely a step up and I loved the arrangement. Totally earned that victory.

On Hundred-Meter Wave I love the source track and the interpretation of it.

Decisive Battle was an easy call from a mile away on who did it, but that's only because it's a crisp, solid straight cover with varied instrumentation, all of which Is very cleanly played, so nice job Pingo.

Hak, that was way more than 1000 notes, autofail.

I wouldn't have given a shit about AC, but it was a solid arrangement that sounded great.

Scrab, I friggin' loved it, like it's the Kalm Barbershop singing on the corner.

Ed, do you just do chilled out covers now or what? :)

I was digging on the Shatterhand track and thought it would also have been a good one arranged for vocals, but it got a tad repetitive.

Valence, I always like your tone and the laid back vibes of your arrangements, would love to hear some more licks in there.

Cetera, wtf dude, yes.

Harjawaldar was robbed, this was totally true to form and I liked the transformation of the source. Anyone that didn't translate the title it's Norwegian for Nothing Lasts Forever.

Daemon9623 i wanna close to you so bad dawg.

Yeah, I had a completely different song in mind and about 50% done when I heard that and knew I had to change what I was working. I'm not a big fan of pop-punk stuff, really, but the composition of the track was already engineered that way, and I mostly did the vocals and emo lyrics on it to rib a friend.

I had a better mix of it at one point but the crashes seemed to disappear after I put the vocals in, and since I spent a lot of time trying to make them not sound like dick (i.e. sing remotely kinda sorta in key just a little) much of the production aspects of it fell by the wayside due to time limitations. BTW, everyone, I DID humanize the hihat, just not nearly enough and should have brought that tst tst tsting asshole down a bit. I'm just glad the general consensus on this was that it wasn't below average. Slap it in the "needs-improvement" category, plzthx. I included the non-vocal version because who wants to listen to me whine out some bad notes. I think the only thing I was really satisfied with on it was the lick I threw in since I finally managed to do something cleanly. This was the first track I figured out 100% by ear so I'm pretty happy about that, even if it was a simple and easy one.

Available for download now!
AlbumCoverSmall.png

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#10 KarlB

KarlB

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Yeah Scrab Cakes' choral cover was one of my favorites! Definitely should have been much higher.

Composer, Podcaster & Multi-instrumentalist. One of the Super Marcato Bros.

#11 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

I can't think of too many European developers, other than Rare. Composers are probably a different story, but, again, most of the ones I know are distinctly not from Yerp.

AlbumCoverSmall.png

#12 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Tim Follin, David Wise, Grant Kirkhope. With even just those three the possibilities are endless.

Oh also RUNESCAPE IS A BRITISH GAME. So if you do an RS tune you could be on the album Katamari and I are eventually going to organize.

#13 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Tim Follin, David Wise, Grant Kirkhope. With even just those three the possibilities are endless.

Oh also RUNESCAPE IS A BRITISH GAME. So if you do an RS tune you could be on the album Katamari and I are eventually going to organize.

Oh shit, I didn't know the Follins were British, so that is awesome.

I smell Pictionary inbound.

AlbumCoverSmall.png

#14 ErichWK

ErichWK

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

Alberto.

Jose.

Gonzales.

I play drums, Make Video Games, and eat Hamburgers.

#15 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Anyone that didn't translate the title it's Norwegian for Nothing Lasts Forever.

Oh! I see. I thought it was broken Swedish. xD

Also, Codemasters (UK) games had great music, for instance Dizzy the Prince of Yolkfolk (ZX Spectrum).

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwelling of duels, dod, europe, final countdown, take on me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users