Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

The results for Space Month are up!

#1 Hat- Mario Galaxy - Adventures in Battlerock Galaxy - above average -0.02
#2 Monte and the Guitarists of MAGwest (MunzadetH, Jake Foster, Ryan Olson, Viking Guitar)​ - Mega Man series - Interstellar Man - above average -0.35
#3 Czyszy - Tyrian - Journey into Space - above average -0.46
#4 tibone - Astro Warrior - Space Pretzel Armada - average +0.05
#5 RUM - Ristar - Ristar - average -0.34
#6 valence - Mega Man 9 - Galaxily Lounging Around - below average +0.3
#7 Funbuns - Mega Man Zero 4 - Holding Out For A Zero - bad -0.47
Voters: 17

Congrats to Hat on his first win since 2006! You can grab the tagged songs on the duel page: http://dwellingofdue...ls/17-08-space/

Next month is a Tornado of Solos. And this time, the source tune is Thunderbolt from Lifeforce:

17-TS-TornadoOfSolos.jpg

Tornado of Solos is a special month because the winner will be decided by a combination of popular vote and a vote by a selected team of judges, with the popular vote carrying more weight, of course. You can find the detailed explanation on dwellingofduels.net front page. Get ready to produce some sparks on your instrument of choice! :)

The deadline is September 27th, 1PM EDT. Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com.

BTW, this is just a temporary banner, we'll get a real one soon hopefully. :)

#2 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

woah, which one was the last ToS, Silver Surfer?
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#3 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

It was Dwelling of Doom in 2011, iirc. :)

#4 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#5 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

It was Dwelling of Doom in 2011, iirc. :)

woah, I missed that one. I'll have to check it out soon.
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#6 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

God Hat, that was so gooooooood

#7 Czyszy

Czyszy

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:38 AM

Is is my first "medal" and probably the only one I've ever gotten. xD Congratulations to Hat for the horniest entry!

Spoiler

#8 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

Why do I do things?

"This Nu Gundam isn't just for show!" - Gandhi

https://www.youtube....er/TrapFanatic/

^My wretched hive of scum, villainy, music, and assorted dumb shit.

https://trapfanatic.bandcamp.com/

^Home of Super Remix Wars, my running Super Robot Wars remix project

#9 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:12 AM

Why do I do things?

So you can practice and get better at doing things.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

sig_2.png

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com

#10 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Why do I do things?

So you can practice and get better at doing things.

Yeah, I know.  Depression talksies and whatnot.

But I'm just kinda questioning if this is the best place for that.  A lot of people seem against the idea of vocal vgm remixes here, and that's pretty much my primary live instrument, regardless of how good or bad I am at it.  Let's just leave that at certain health problems kind of severely limit my guitar playing ability.  Or most instruments for that matter.  You may as well be telling someone in a wheelchair they can be an olympic high jumper if they just practice hard enough with that.

So yeah, if vocals are that frowned upon, I'm honestly kinda wondering if I should continue to bother with DoD in particular, or just stick to sequencing/vocals elsewhere.

"This Nu Gundam isn't just for show!" - Gandhi

https://www.youtube....er/TrapFanatic/

^My wretched hive of scum, villainy, music, and assorted dumb shit.

https://trapfanatic.bandcamp.com/

^Home of Super Remix Wars, my running Super Robot Wars remix project

#11 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,529 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

Nah, do whatever covers you want however you want. DoD has a tendency to be more critical than usual, in good and bad ways. No, not everyone is going to want/enjoy vocal covers, but perhaps the same could be said of all genres. If your voice is your main instrument and that's what you want to use, then by all means use it. Do take the advice that's actually helpful in terms of your sound so you can have objectively better sounding mixes, that's typically good advice. You improve by learning and doing, and if you want to improve you can't stop. Try to filter the opinion of "I don't like vocal mixes" out from "these vocals sound bad because XYZ". The former is a matter of taste, the latter one of sonic quality/musical direction. Grab the more objective issues (low in the mix, grainy, out of key etc) and use them to get better and take the subjective ones ("I don't think vocals belong") as differing opinion. In short: do whatever you want, just improve each time and do it better than you did before.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#12 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Before you quit DoD, listen to this piece of shit that will haunt me forever, and question whether I should quit music or vocals or flute or whatever 

Yeah, Demonstray gave you a dumb a shitty review, but look what he wrote about Hat's 1st place entry.  Like, he obviously just wore headphones, turned them up too loud, and then turned the treble way up on his listening EQ, then complained a bunch.  Don't worry about it.

Vocals are generally less popular than instrumentals here.  Who cares?  Get good enough at vocals that we're like "oh shit". Or don't worry about us, do your thing because you like it. There's a little band of dumb idiots here that don't like straight covers or fade outs, but who cares?  I like my straight covers.

#13 Roque

Roque

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Are there any rules that Tornado of Solos has that are different than DoD?  Is there a requirement to have a solo in the arrangement?  Is it supposed to be a solo instrument?  Are there points rewarded for technical / musical complexity of solos?  Just curious as "solo" seems to be prominent, so I am wondering what the differences are, aside from the scoring mechanism.

#14 Czyszy

Czyszy

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, Demonstray gave you a dumb a shitty review, but look what he wrote about Hat's 1st place entry.  Like, he obviously just wore headphones, turned them up too loud, and then turned the treble way up on his listening EQ, then complained a bunch.  Don't worry about it.

This. Pretty much my impression of his reviews.

Spoiler

#15 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

Are there any rules that Tornado of Solos has that are different than DoD?  Is there a requirement to have a solo in the arrangement?  Is it supposed to be a solo instrument?  Are there points rewarded for technical / musical complexity of solos?  Just curious as "solo" seems to be prominent, so I am wondering what the differences are, aside from the scoring mechanism.

The point is to play the source tune, which is why we chose one that's a bit difficult but not too difficult. Adding your own solos is a bonus and will definitely help with the judges, both in the "performance" and "arrangement" categories, but the main point is to cover the source as technically proficient as possible. For example, you may wanna slow down the tempo if you're having trouble playing the song, but if you slow it down too much, judges may give you a lower score for performance. :)

Solo instrument is not a requirement.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, lifeforce, thunderbolt, tornado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users