59 replies to this topic

#16 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I dunno about all that.  I just kinda get all super discouraged real easily at times.  Comes with the abundant joys of clinical depression.

Still dragging my ass through college though, and classes start in a few days, so I was likely gonna need a break from this stuff, or at least Dwelling of Duels regardless.

Sorry about all the fuss and muss.  I'm just gonna take a step back, continue my vocal training, maybe muck about on here a bit once in a while anyways, play some vidya games, and make music just because.  That sounds nice, going with that.

Oh yeah, also, pingosimon, you did remind me of something very important. xD

"This Nu Gundam isn't just for show!" - Gandhi

https://www.youtube....er/TrapFanatic/

^My wretched hive of scum, villainy, music, and assorted dumb shit.

https://trapfanatic.bandcamp.com/

^Home of Super Remix Wars, my running Super Robot Wars remix project

#17 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

See, my voice may suck, but at least I didn't get wrong notes like that idiot ^

We all have our strengths and weaknesses!

#18 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hah, I love your Darkworld song, Pingosimon. I've listened to it many a time over the years.

#19 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

Yeah, Demonstray gave you a dumb a shitty review, but look what he wrote about Hat's 1st place entry.  Like, he obviously just wore headphones, turned them up too loud, and then turned the treble way up on his listening EQ, then complained a bunch.  Don't worry about it.

Tru (my listening EQ is usually flat but the rest is basically accurate because I had to listen to these in multiple sittings on a crowded bus on my way home at 6 a.m.)

ALSO have you guys heard my like first...three, four, five...six...seven DoD entries, and onward indefinitely into the present? Good LORD they're painful. So painful that I will make you work just that extra bit to find them, so you will have worked for your own pain. Absolute MIDI nonsense and learning guitar AND recording AND production AND editing on the fly.

So yeah, don't give up just because I shat on your entry. I got at least a couple of last places WITHOUT singing on entries, and the VGM scene (myself included) is especially unkind to non-industry VGM singers. Take it as a challenge: if you manage to get above last place next entry, it'll mean that you're improving much more quickly than I am. Even if you don't get above last place in the next 3 or 4 entries, you've gotta consider the handicap built into your entries. Your entry isn't "bad -x.x", it's "average -x.x, subtracting people's personal preferences", or "below average -x.x etc", which are arbitrary to begin with but starting points nonetheless.

Anyway, onward to actual constructive advice: I noticed huge improvements in the confidence of your voice between your DMC3 entry and this one, and the audible confidence has in turn improved the overall quality of your voice significantly. Keep that up! Three things I'd like you to keep an eye on: pitch, timing, and dynamics. You've got a great knack for vibrato, so try to keep in that groove while you improve on these other things. With regards to your pitch, it's off by enough here and there that it does become more than just a nitpick, but you'll be glad to know that you succeed in making it known to the listener just what notes you were going for, so you're already on the right track. I'd say part of the pitch problem stems from the dynamics issue, but I'll talk about that in a sec. Your timing is good for the most part, with the occasional struggle to get the right part of the syllable out on time (words like "sight" feel like the S lands on beat and the I lags behind when it should be the one emphasized, for example), but that's my only complaint there. Now, with dynamics, I notice a desire to stick with a certain sound in your voice, kind of a grungy but strong output, which works well mostly! The problem is that sometimes when you shift or slide between notes, you lose some of the strength and it comes across a bit awkwardly, as well as occasionally losing ground both dynamically and musically when you sustain notes or try to end words. What might help would be to experiment with STARTING the notes with that same strength, but loosening up a bit in the middle of most words. Dropping some of the grit and weight in your voice, and just letting the air carry your voice until the end of the stanza. I wish I could say something that makes more sense, but for some reason that sounds right to me.

If you have more questions, or if something I've said makes no sense and you'd like me to elaborate, go ahead and shoot me a message or reply here, either way I'll respond! I'm no good as a singer, but I've learned some neat tricks that I'd like to put into practice someday!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#20 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

Yeah, Demonstray gave you a dumb a shitty review, but look what he wrote about Hat's 1st place entry.  Like, he obviously just wore headphones, turned them up too loud, and then turned the treble way up on his listening EQ, then complained a bunch.  Don't worry about it.

Tru (my listening EQ is usually flat but the rest is basically accurate because I had to listen to these in multiple sittings on a crowded bus on my way home at 6 a.m.)

ALSO have you guys heard my like first...three, four, five...six...seven DoD entries, and onward indefinitely into the present? Good LORD they're painful. So painful that I will make you work just that extra bit to find them, so you will have worked for your own pain. Absolute MIDI nonsense and learning guitar AND recording AND production AND editing on the fly.

So yeah, don't give up just because I shat on your entry. I got at least a couple of last places WITHOUT singing on entries, and the VGM scene (myself included) is especially unkind to non-industry VGM singers. Take it as a challenge: if you manage to get above last place next entry, it'll mean that you're improving much more quickly than I am. Even if you don't get above last place in the next 3 or 4 entries, you've gotta consider the handicap built into your entries. Your entry isn't "bad -x.x", it's "average -x.x, subtracting people's personal preferences", or "below average -x.x etc", which are arbitrary to begin with but starting points nonetheless.

Anyway, onward to actual constructive advice: I noticed huge improvements in the confidence of your voice between your DMC3 entry and this one, and the audible confidence has in turn improved the overall quality of your voice significantly. Keep that up! Three things I'd like you to keep an eye on: pitch, timing, and dynamics. You've got a great knack for vibrato, so try to keep in that groove while you improve on these other things. With regards to your pitch, it's off by enough here and there that it does become more than just a nitpick, but you'll be glad to know that you succeed in making it known to the listener just what notes you were going for, so you're already on the right track. I'd say part of the pitch problem stems from the dynamics issue, but I'll talk about that in a sec. Your timing is good for the most part, with the occasional struggle to get the right part of the syllable out on time (words like "sight" feel like the S lands on beat and the I lags behind when it should be the one emphasized, for example), but that's my only complaint there. Now, with dynamics, I notice a desire to stick with a certain sound in your voice, kind of a grungy but strong output, which works well mostly! The problem is that sometimes when you shift or slide between notes, you lose some of the strength and it comes across a bit awkwardly, as well as occasionally losing ground both dynamically and musically when you sustain notes or try to end words. What might help would be to experiment with STARTING the notes with that same strength, but loosening up a bit in the middle of most words. Dropping some of the grit and weight in your voice, and just letting the air carry your voice until the end of the stanza. I wish I could say something that makes more sense, but for some reason that sounds right to me.

If you have more questions, or if something I've said makes no sense and you'd like me to elaborate, go ahead and shoot me a message or reply here, either way I'll respond! I'm no good as a singer, but I've learned some neat tricks that I'd like to put into practice someday!

Oh jeez, I forget about the DoD version of that DMC3 song being a thing sometimes, my god, that was terrible!  I ended up going back last year and re-recording the entirety of the vocal tracks and the version I put on my youtube ended up actually being one of the more popular pieces on there.  Granted I wouldn't necessarily call most of it conventionally good singing so much as fudging about stylistically until something just sort of subjectively worked in context.

Either way, it's kind of relieving to look back on that sort of thing and remember I've at least made some progress over the years.  But I do appreciate the genuine advice and stuff.  I'm actually starting up vocal lessons again in a couple days after a fairly long hiatus from it, so hopefully that'll do me some good.

EDIT: Also sorrys if I kinda de-railed the thread just a liiiiittle bit.  I be outies now...

"This Nu Gundam isn't just for show!" - Gandhi

https://www.youtube....er/TrapFanatic/

^My wretched hive of scum, villainy, music, and assorted dumb shit.

https://trapfanatic.bandcamp.com/

^Home of Super Remix Wars, my running Super Robot Wars remix project

#21 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Either way, it's kind of relieving to look back on that sort of thing and remember I've at least made some progress over the years.  But I do appreciate the genuine advice and stuff.  I'm actually starting up vocal lessons again in a couple days after a fairly long hiatus from it, so hopefully that'll do me some good.

EDIT: Also sorrys if I kinda de-railed the thread just a liiiiittle bit.  I be outies now...

Oh yeah, vocal lessons are great stuff! If I could afford them amidst all my other hobbies and bills, I'd be attending vocal lessons on the regular. I think you'll do great!

No worries about "derailing" the thread, it's usually these threads where we discuss the feedback given to us about our entries anyway so I'd call this all on-topic. B) Come by more often!

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#22 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I want to personally frame my shitty demonstray reviews

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#23 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,529 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

I don't think I've ever had a shitty review from demonstray that wasn't just "vary the velocity of your hi hats" or "drums are too quiet".

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#24 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

You guys haven't even seen my reviews from MAGFest. Good lord I was delirious but I was apparently SO MAD.

At least one of them said "FUCK YOUUUUU" stretched out to fit the entire box.

#25 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • 10,332 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Before you quit DoD, listen to this piece of shit that will haunt me forever, and question whether I should quit music or vocals or flute or whatever 

This still gets stuck in my head sometimes and I haven't listened to it in years. So at least it was catchy.

Anyway, people shouldn't give up. As long as you put effort in and try to learn and improve, it is worth it. Danimal's first entry was still complete crap and now he's like a total rockstar because he kept working hard.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#26 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yeah my first entry has an all-time low for DoD, something like 51st out of 54 people on the 10th anniversary month

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#27 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

You guys seriously want to discuss amount of last places? Because you can't beat the king of last places. So, don't try. :P

Funbuns: harsh reviews are part of DoD tradition. It's also what pushes people to try harder and improve. But for every harsh there's someone who will look at it from a positive way. Demonstray was harsh, i said good job to every single song. And i do think that everyone who manages to record and submit something did a good job. You got the basics down, now it's time to start polishing and improving.

This month was really fun for me. I did enjoy working on my song, but i struggled with the mix, it was way too busier than it should and taming the low end was a nightmare. I was cutting everything from guitars, toms and more. To try and get some of that mud out. Still not as clear as i would've liked, but, there was a deadline.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#28 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

Anyone who questions their vocal output should go dig up my "acapella" entries. You will feel infinitely better knowing you will never make anything approaching the awfulness of those

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

#29 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

Funbuns: harsh reviews are part of DoD tradition. It's also what pushes people to try harder and improve.

That would be debatable. I would much rather have an informed critique than a harsh one (even if the harsh one was informed). Sure, some people might respond positively to that but it could also have the opposite effect and just crush them and get them to just give up, which, okay I suppose you could counter with the "too weak" argument but that seems super shitty (and I'm more applying this to myself than to Funbuns because I also want to quit). I've been in too many scenarios where that broke people down and in no way built them up so I just find this a little...odd, to say the least.

#30 KarlB

KarlB

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I feel ya, Valence. Personally, I don't think harsh reviews do that either. Being candid and honest about what you did and didn't like is very valuable, but I guess I think doing that while also being respectful/not mean is best. I know for me personally, if I hear a very harsh, mean or hyperbolic criticism, even if there's validity to it, I tend to not give it the time of day. I also agree with tibone that recording and submiting a song really is commendable itself.

Composer, Podcaster & Multi-instrumentalist. One of the Super Marcato Bros.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, lifeforce, thunderbolt, tornado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users