59 replies to this topic

#31 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I can relate to the overly harsh criticisms being discouraging. I was pretty afraid to post at all on here when I first started due to the way people ripped on songs that I thought were actually cool. I mean, my first DoD submission is very, very bad. I had only just learned of the existence of multi track recording, so I knew nothing about mixing; I just thought it was cool to be able to record the different parts of a song and have them go together. Fear of The SnappleMan was/is very real (not just for me either).

Even after winning a few trophies (as a group effort), I still don't feel like I'm qualified to judge other people's work, so that's why I never do reviews.

#32 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

Harsh critique during listening parties and whatnot tends to feel a bit less harsh when you experience it the lighthearted atmosphere of a gathering or earlier magfests. We try to be understanding of the newer generation of DoD entrants who didn't come from the very harsh early shizz or even more harsh VGmix atmosphere where a lot of us really learned how far we had to go by way of soul crushing negative reviews and comments, but it's easy to get lost in the spirit of competition.

Usually when someone wants to get real in depth feedback on their DoD track they'd contact me or Tony or norg directly after the listening party dies down. The only reason I feel even remotely qualified to give any feedback is because I can recognize how amateurish my own music is and how insanely far I still have to go. Also people take me way more seriously than I take myself, and DoD is by no means a fair assessment of anyone's skill, talent or abilities. It's a friendly competition, not meant to be taken seriously (but even then, harsh feedback is always gonna hurt).

Posted Image

#33 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Funbuns: harsh reviews are part of DoD tradition. It's also what pushes people to try harder and improve.

That would be debatable. I would much rather have an informed critique than a harsh one (even if the harsh one was informed). Sure, some people might respond positively to that but it could also have the opposite effect and just crush them and get them to just give up, which, okay I suppose you could counter with the "too weak" argument but that seems super shitty (and I'm more applying this to myself than to Funbuns because I also want to quit). I've been in too many scenarios where that broke people down and in no way built them up so I just find this a little...odd, to say the least.

I agree with you, to a extent. I think there's different ways to be harsh. Usually, in my reviews, i try to say what i did like and what i didn't liked/feel it could be better. But i like said, i also make a point of saying "good job", to 99% of the entries, because, recording and submitting a song takes a level of talent way above the general population. The thing is, theshizz crew is insanely talented (and hard workers, never dismiss the power of hardwork).

But what i mean is, to improve people must know what they did wrong, and what i do, always done and probably will keep doing is try to take a average of what is reviewed about my songs.

I used to drown my guitars in gain. But 7/10 reviewers said (in one way or another): "too much gain!". so i started to improve by reducing the gain. I started to noticed, that people stopped complaining about too much gain.. and so on. It was a looong journey.. ever since that first.. 2003? entry. And if i'm still here, i think anybody can, as long as they want.

So, in a way, harsh reviews are what pushes people, but as with everything in life, you can't take things for absolutes. I mean, if you count the reviews of this month, only 50% of them were harsh. :)

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#34 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

Year 2017. People are still discussing harsh DoD reviews on the internet.

Also, it's possible to win with a vocal entry. Talking from experience. If the mix is solid and the song is fun, people will enjoy it and give better votes.
marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#35 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:39 AM

Year 2017. People are still discussing harsh DoD reviews on the internet.

Also, it's possible to win with a vocal entry. Talking from experience. If the mix is solid and the song is fun, people will enjoy it and give better votes.

https://xkcd.com/386/

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://www.patreon.com/tibone - PATREON

http://tibone.bandcamp.com - MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/tibonev/ - VIDEOS

http://www.classicgames.com.br/ - GAMES AND OTHER CODING STUFF

http://x68k.classicgames.com.br/ - X68k AMAZEBALLS MUSIC.

#36 Monte

Monte

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

So I didn't get a chance to explain but I'm stoked I got 2nd place with my guitar pals! I've been wanting to do a Mega Man medley for some tine and the space themes are some of my favorite, so I had to jump on. I was concerned I might get flack for using Gravity Man since technically speaking there is no real way to know if that level is in space but to me it looks like it's in some sort of space station and the song is probably the most spacey and a personal favorite.  B)

At first I was going to just do a straight one-tune-after-another medley but then I started to hear a similarity in chord progression between songs and really wanted to try and layer them. I thought it was a more fun approach trying to sort of hide the songs in one another. It's astounding to me how well a lot of them worked. I did have to change notes to some parts so they fit in the chord progression but some actually just worked really really well like Mr. X's theme in Gravity Man. 

I couldn't have finished the track with the help of my guitar bros at MAGwest. Essentially I had asked MunzadetH to help with the guitar line sort of last minute...he did help but didn't have time to finish the whole thing and MAGwest was the next day so I thought, fuck it, I'll take it with me and see if I could get a handful of guitarists to just lay down small sections in our hotel room and it worked! Munz did the first two "songs" Viking Guitar did the A part to Gravity Man, Ryan Olson did the B Part, and Jake foster (of KDB) did the solo section. They are all beasts and I appreciate them all. 

Finally I ended up mixing after our MAGwest show until 4am to get this damn thing in so I'm glad it did well and here's to planning better next time  :rolleyes: .

#37 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,693 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

I loved all the nuances you pointed out while Jake was recording, shit was cash as fuck.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#38 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I think it's time to release an official DoD album on Bandcamp.  A huge compilation that includes one song from everyone that's ever entered.

Here's the catch:

Each track will be either (a) the artist's FIRST DoD submission, or (b )  the artist's LOWEST PLACING DoD submission (whichever sounds more like shit.)  There will be no indication that these are old tracks.

To add actual feedback to FunBuns, criticism through DoD is a big part of why I'm doing what I'm doing now (contract mixing/mastering, session guitar, composing).  The fact that entries are anonymous allows actual feedback without the filter of knowing who the artist is.  

That being said, judge the info you get.  Everyone on here has different experience and different opinions, and some people honestly will just give bad advice sometimes.  Take everything, look at it with the mindset of "does this actually apply to me at all, even a little."  If there's ANYTHING you can learn from it, learn from it.

The trick is to try as hard as possible to completely divorce your ego from the process.  Yes, you worked hard on your track.  It might be the best thing you've ever recorded.  However, since this is about IMPROVING, you can't look at it as people being harsh on your creation.  As soon as that song gets posted, it stops being anything except a learning experience.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#39 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

DoD is sort of a constant reminder to ask oneself "Did I work well, or just work hard?" They're not the same thing half the time.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#40 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

DoD is sort of a constant reminder to ask oneself "Did I work well, or just work hard?" They're not the same thing half the time.

Dude, that is a GREAT way of putting it!

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#41 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Also it's about being aware that quality doesn't always influence popularity. Being able to tap into an atmosphere or momentum in a way that lets you produce music that is a "hit" with the audience is a skill in its own right.

Posted Image

#42 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

Dude, that is a GREAT way of putting it!
Slap a "-DemonStray, 2017" on that quote and print that bitch on some t-shirts, and BAM. DoD web hosting, MAGFund, 11:60 Records publishing fund, all paid for indefinitely. Eventually, Shizz Island™.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#43 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

The only solution is to have a Vocal Month where everyone has to have singing in their song

B)

Also I wonder what the best placing vocal track has been in all DoD history?

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#44 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Also I wonder what the best placing vocal track has been in all DoD history?

and

come to mind

#45 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Also, this one OF COURSE

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, lifeforce, thunderbolt, tornado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users