66 replies to this topic

#61 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

What do you think it would be like for a foreigner buy and ride public roads and then export a motorcycle while visiting?

I just looked it up, you have to pass a 400cc course before you could do their 400+ license.

It looks like they have more surviving turbo bikes than north america, as if everyone in murka except Jay Leno rhode theirs until they disintigrated.

#62 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

What do you think it would be like for a foreigner buy and ride public roads and then export a motorcycle while visiting?

I just looked it up, you have to pass a 400cc course before you could do their 400+ license.

It looks like they have more surviving turbo bikes than north america, as if everyone in murka except Jay Leno rhode theirs until they disintigrated.

It's gotta be 25 years old in order to legally import it to the US. 

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#63 C.C. Z28

C.C. Z28

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

Turbo bikes are mostly from the early/mid '80s. Also I think the Canadian import law is only 10 years old?

armor, you looking for a CX650 or what? Japan isn't like Europe where you can just Xerox your car license and call it good to drive. And a U.S./Canadian motorcycle endorsement is either no good or maxes out at like 125-250cc overseas. Does Canada have tiered licensing for bikes or did Harley lobby against it there too?

You will control a battletoad

#64 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

hmmmm march eh

#65 armor

armor

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Canada is 15 years is old enough to import iirc from when I got a right hand drive car. Canada has a really messed up system to get a bike license but it is not displacement oriented, but it is 3 stages, it makes using a bike as a commuter while in learner stage really impractical or illegal, but you're supposed to have a supervisor with you stage 1 or can't drive at night stage 2, so you need to know someone with a full bike license, I don't have anyone like that so I just went like 4 years in learner stage feeling paranoid. There are wait times for the tests but additional silly delays like never being able to register for the road test online and calling in and being told it's online only registry and being hung up on and repeatedly have to insist that it didn't work to be scheduled to do the road test when ice and snow is on the roads... and then getting failed for not planting my foot at red lights but instead coasting slowly until the light changes... it's infuriating to review your exam and find the kind of error you made isn't actually illegal but the examiner isn't necessarily a biker themselves. If you work a dayjob you can't just show up.

Anyhow, I've owned an 81 GL500 (which I rolled the 5 digit odometer over on), and currently a GL1100 (which has needed work and not as yet a proven to be a return on investment) and if it were raining money really would rather have the 650 or CBX or the turbo variant still seems to be in circulation over there. But it looks like getting anything over 400 could be a prolonged process just being at a disadvantage with the language and signs and rental bike.

I wondered if they have a lot of fine 80's and 90's bike in garages because of their emission laws, nothing used that's a bargain will have ABS.

1 year of insurance costs 1200+ nearly as much as either of my 81 hondas, 1500, and the kryptonite bike lock company has better theft insurance than the Insurance Corporation of BC.

So it's not like good cheap Japanese bikes aren't available here, but I think people have ones out of use for similar reasons, aircare they shut down here but my 90's vehicles were non compliant without repairs, they have strict emissions laws there that make it costly to smoke up the road with your Kawasaki ZII750.

Some civilized nations have announced plans, with dates, of phasing internal combustion engine production.... get your red barchettas now?!

Edited by armor, 18 January 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#66 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,984 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

yo I might be going to Tokyo in the end of March, what dates will you be there?

#67 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

20th - 27th !!!
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users