• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

The results for Tornado of Solos are up! This is how the public voted:

#1 Affection State - Lifeforce - The destruction of the fleet - good +0.28
#2 GearX2 - Lifeforce - ThunderNier - above average +0.46
#3 Czyszy - Lifeforce - Sally the Funky Salamander - above average +0.36
Voters: 14

Scaled to points on a scale of 0-60, it ends up like this (rounded to the closest whole number, 0 is Terrible and 60 is Incredible):

#1 Affection State - 53 points
#2 GearX2 - 45 points
#3 Czyszy - 44 points

Now, let's see how our judges panel (Harmsing, Snappleman, M-H) voted:

Harmsing scores (reviews will be posted soon, streifig is gonna translate them):
Sally the Funky Salamander - 12 points
Arrangement: 4/5
Performance: 3/5
Production: 5/5

The destruction of the fleet - 15 points
Arrangement: 5/5
Performance: 5/5

ThunderNier - 14 points

M-H scores and reviews:
Sally the Funky Salamander - 13 points
Production: 4/5
Performance: 4/5
Arrangement: 5/5

Comments: Very cool to hear this sort of entry in a ToS month. Has a fun, clever arrangement that 
keeps it's fresh and away from feeling repetitive. Everything sounds good except for perhaps the slappy 
poppy bass section, which seems to have some minor tuning issues. Kind of wish it kept going and the 
guitar got a turn at the main melody, though -- things just didn't get wanky enough. 

The destruction of the fleet - 13 points

Comments: Wow, this is great. The intro is a bit long for me, but it works. How can I really critique 
the guitar performance without seeming hypocrite, though? It's fabulous. Arrangement keeps things moving 
along nicely, but doesn't quite explore things as much as Sally the Funky Salamander. The production is 
really good, but I do hear some compression crunchiness occasionally and maybe the cymbals could be just 
a little less in my face. Very small issues, though. Very, very well done overall. Pretty much what all 
ToS entries aspire to be. 

ThunderNier - 11 points

Production: 3.5/5
Performance: 3.5/5

Comments: This one has a wonderfully classic DOD vibe that's very fun to hear. So it's not the most cleanly 
played melody - it's definitely not outright bad, IMO. I don't know that I could have done much better, 
but the solo midway sounded really solid. There are some intonation problems, though I've certainly heard 
far worse throughout DOD history. It almost sounds like what happens when a pickup is too close to the 
strings - the magnetic pull does something funky with the strings. The rhythms sound great to me, though. 
The drums also sound good (as they did for all the entries, really) and I have very little else to say. 
The arrangement is solid, with its own take on things - perhaps the first transition is a little jarring, 
but the next ones are very smooth. Each entry truly made the source material its own, and that's fantastic.

Snappleman scores and reviews:
Sally the Funky Salamander - 9.5 points
Production: 3.5/5
Performance: 3/5
Arrangement: 3/5

Comments: Kickin adaptation of the song, production is a solid representation of the style, the brass is smooth and fits right in nicely. This definitely needs better/more solos and improvisation, though. Even if it wasn't for a sololing competition it would benefit from better improvisation.

The destruction of the fleet - 11.5 points
Production: 4.5/5
Arrangement: 3.5/5

Comments: Sup with these chops, kid? This shit is intense, good arrangement and a lot of fun to listen to, the guitars sound kickass and the playing is tight. Structurally the arrangement suffers a tiny bit from lack of focus and movement, but the source material doesn't really leave much room (at least when trying to showcase the difficulty of the song) so I understand.

ThunderNier - 11 points
Arrangement: 3/5

Comments: I like the guitar tone in this one the best, the slower tempo sounds good for the song but for the sake of SHRED I have to deduct a little for that. This song is hard to play and getting it to a speed that feels good to you is a smart move, though. For me this arrangement has the most potential of the bunch but the lack of harmonic content and the lifeless bass really sap the energy out from it.

That brings our totals to:
#1 Affection State - 53+39.5=92.5 points
#2 GearX2 - 45+36=81 points
#3 Czyszy - 44+34.5=78.5 points

Congratulations to Affection State on the win! Thanks to everyone who entered, voted and reviewed, and a round of applause for our judges (they're definitely better than those judges on TV talent shows, right? :D)

Next month is...

FREE MONTH

17-10-Free.jpg

Anything is allowed, so get on it! Deadline for submissions is October 27th, 2PM EDT. Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com.

#2 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

I channeled my inner Christina Aguilera 

Posted Image

#3 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

Again, great month! It was a close one.

Won't likely have time to enter this one. Still haven't restrung my guitar and don't really have time to conjure up a fresh arrangement. x_x

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#4 GearX2

GearX2

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:10 AM

Back in action. Big thanks to Katamari)

#5 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

Whoa! I was really lucky cuz I took last place... and still got a "medal". xD Congratulations to GearX2 and Affection State. I hope this December you will manage to return to the Russian Attack lineup.

Spoiler

#6 GearX2

GearX2

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

Whoa! I was really lucky cuz I took last place... and still got a "medal". xD Congratulations to GearX2 and Affection State. I hope this December you will manage to return to the Russian Attack lineup.

Definetly we will if only streifig gonna catch us all )

#7 DrumUltimA

DrumUltimA

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

So here I am, about to fulfill some Impact Soundworks prizes for DoD winners, when I decide "oh, I'll just go ahead and see the results page for this one, just for fun".  I was NOT expecting to see "tornado_of_polkas.mid (in the wake of DrumUltimA)".  I'm glad you guys remember me lol

#8 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

Well, you should enter again sometime to refresh people's memory. :)

#9 DrumUltimA

DrumUltimA

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

You're right! I should.

#10 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

It's a free month after all

#11 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Alright. I got all my parts recorded for a song I didn't particularly want to do. Let's see if a certain collaborator of mine actually records anything or if those tracks I recorded wind up in limbo.

#12 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Entries for the next month are gonna be up in a few hours, I got late home from work today and I just got done downloading all of them (and also, there were more entries than I expected).

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DoD, dwelling of duels, free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users