Ivan Hakštok

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

The results for Free Month are here:

#1 Affection State - Contra Force - Bins - good -0.23
#2 Boroda-kun - Journey to Silius - Do U 2 Journey To Silius - above average +0.2
#3 Jer Roque - Super Mario Kart - Rainbows in Dreams - above average +0.14
#4 newip - Divinity: Original Sin - Bittersweet Regrets - above average -0.02
#5 Sagnewshreds, Katamari - Secret of Mana - Eight Magics - above average -0.15
#6 Brandon Strader, Alyssa Kalugdan - Kholat - Will You Find Me - above average -0.19
#7 Careless Juja, Brandon Strader - Final Fantasy 9 - IX Minutes in Hell - above average -0.38
#8 Will Attewell - Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded by Light - above average -0.46
#9 GamBit - Langrisser - Hard Battle - average +0.38
#10 Czyszy, Octavia - Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse - Belmondo nel castello di Acquario - average +0.34
#11 valence - Final Fantasy 9 - Calm During the Storm - average +0.32
#12 Hat - Super Mario 3D World - Deeply Troubled Italian Plumber (Come raggio di sol) - average -0.08
#13 Love Chaney - The Smurfs [Game Boy] - Azrael's Lament - average -0.26
#14 Styrofoamshotgun - Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - The Final Battle - below average +0.19
#15 GuntherRidel, Reuben Spiers - Star Fox 64 - Star Wolf Theme - below average -0.27
Voters: 14

Congrats to Affection State, 2nd win in a row! Big thanks to everyone else who entered and voted.

Next month is Yuzo Koshiro Month!

17-11-Koshiro.jpg

The legendary composer is turning 50 this year, and we decided to celebrate that (a bit early though) with a duel in his honor! Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey, ActRaiser and plenty of other games with cool music to cover.

The amazing banner was done by Valentin Potkin (https://www.facebook...90284734708266/)

The deadline is November 26th, 2PM EDT. Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com

#2 Hat

Hat

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

First reply!
:ph34r:

#3 Demonstray

Demonstray

Shizz Gawd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

Didn't end up having time to vote or finish my reviews, but here are the reviews I DID make! Typed on my phone, so apologies for any autocorrect madness.

Castlevania 3 - Belmondo nel castello di Acquario

Pretty good track overall, I like the last section the most for sure. The way the drums intensify and the guitars continue to drill the melody into the structure of the song just does it for me. So great job on that! Some of the guitar performance was lagging a bit, just a bit too slow for the tempo, and it sounds like you didn't play the ascending staccato part at the end of the main melody for a similar reason, but that's totally fine. I'm not sure I could even play what you played, so you've got a leg up on me. :lol: The arrangement borders on getting repetitive before the end, but the length itself felt appropriate. Maybe try some additional instrument variation as the song gets closer and closer to the end? Tbh I'm not entirely sure what I would have done myself lmao but again, great job!

Contra Force - Bins

The kick drum sounds a bit floppy for how tight the snare sounds, and for how solid the rest of the mix is, but that may be more a fault of the samples (default Superior 2 Avatar kick?) than your fault. You've done great with the drums overall! Also, this arrangement is off the walls and I love it; the guitar work is absolutely insane and clean, the synths are neat and add a lot of texture to the background, and the whole mix is super tight and just plain good. Excellent job, mystery contestant!

Divinity: Original Sin - Bittersweet Regrets

Definitely refreshing to hear some melodically rich source material from a relatively modern game, and not even a pixelated indie game like we generally expect to boot. Great choice of song, for sure. As for this track itself, it starts off a bit rough with the Celtic instrumental backing track soloed, but that's not typically a good move unless you've got one of the massive, multi-articulation, multisampled libraries with true legato and round robins and stuff. Celtic, orchestral, and most other non-percussive instruments don't lend themselves well to being soloed as samples without insane realism, unfortunately. However, while you can definitely tell this is programmed, and it takes you out of the song momentarily, it sort of gets itself out of the way at the start of the song which is a pretty wise decision. The arrangement is quite neat, with the couple of different melodies moving pretty naturally with the flow of the track. Not much to speak of with the rest of the instrumental performance, as it was solid but seemed to just be there to highlight the traditional instruments in the background. That said, the lead and rhythm work both compliment the backing track really well, so great job! Drums are a bit polar to me; the kick drum has all the transient attack but none of the body of a kick or “bass” drum. The snare, on the other hand, has a bit of a floppy attack and a rattling sustain that would definitely lend itself more appropriately to an indie or pop-rock song. Sounds like probably Metal Foundry SDX, with the default snare or another from the top few maybe? My memory of those is foggy but I remember that the character of most of those snares is just bizarre and underwhelming, so I usually used one of the bottom 6 (forget the name) or the default S2.0 Avatar kit snare depending. Much better attack and decay on those. Whoops, I've gone off about drums again. Uh, great song! I think you did the best you could with what you had and that's good enough for me.

Final Fantasy 9 - Calm During the Storm

Well this is a cute, neat little diddy to hear! I'm hearing a bit of a struggle to stay in time with the programmed drums. The drums, too, are a bit too up-front for this style of song, especially the hi-hat. For such a cute and uplifting little song, though, this is a lot of fun! Nice job overall.

You don't see me going to ice cream socials and not eating ice cream and socializing.

#4 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

I'm working hard on trying to come up with an idea for my arrangement. I'm thinking of something that could potentially expand my comfort zone (anonymity compromised-ish).

Spoiler

#5 Hat

Hat

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

I'm going to CRUSH my comfort zone. I'm doing something I've wanted to do for years. Anonymity probably no worse off.....
:ph34r:

#6 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

I'm gonna stay square in my style comfort zone but try something hard.

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#7 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time and has a lot of personal meaning to me, but I don't know if I'll have time to do anything with it this month :(

#8 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

the best Koshiro soundtrack

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#9 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'm gonna stay square in my style comfort zone but try something hard.

Stay square to a T. ;)

Okay, enough puns already.

I picked a song, now I gotta do an arrangement and that's easier said than done. WAAAY easier said than done.

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, yuzo koshiro, streets of rage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users