#1 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

The results are here:

#1 Ivan Hakštok, Sixto Sounds - Goal Storm, International Superstar Soccer, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, International Superstar Soccer Pro - A Nice Day To Play (Fútbol) - good +0.12
#2 LONELYROLLINGSTARS - Gauntlet - You Gauntlet, You Flauntlet (a.k.a. "DUCKTALES MOON") - good -0.02
#3 Hat, Beret - Cuphead - WB bought out MDHR (in the 1940's) - good -0.41
#4 Daemon9623, Czyszy, pingosimon - Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - Indiana Jones and Magnum P.I.: Rescue Rangers - above average +0.36
#5 Czyszy, Brandon Sills Project - Super C - Super Collab'n - above average +0.24
#6 valence, Papa Giorgio - Everquest - Tranquil Toxxulia - above average -0.01
Voters: 26

Big thanks to everyone who entered, voted or just listened to the songs. :)

Next month is Brevity Month!

18-01-Brevity.jpg

Entries mustn't exceed 60 seconds in length. Other than that, standard rules apply. Deadline is January 27th, 1PM EST. Send your songs to dodsongs@gmail.com. So, if you didn't enter Multiplayer Month, this is your chance to redeem yourselves.

The awesome banner was made by darmock. :)

#2 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

So, when the month was announced, I was pretty excited for Multiplayer Month, seeing as how sooooooooooooooooo many games can fall under that category, but then read the collab requirement and, well, got discouraged. I don't like having others on my songs because, well, my songs are usually terrible so why would I want to drag anyone else down ? I'm perfectly fine failing on my own (it's basically been my life so far) but to include someone else ? No. That's just fucking selfish. 

Anyways, I still wanted to work on something this month, that would work for the theme and maybe, just maybe, would be able to submit. I realized that I started off this year with an Everquest track, so thought it would be fitting to bookend the year with another one. I scoured my midi's of the soundtrack and finally came upon Toxxulia Forest. For as long as I had played Everquest (it was a pretty big part of high school for me) I don't think I've ever heard this song. I only briefly made an Erudite but don't even think I made it out of town but it is possible I heard it in other parts of the game, like in West Karana (I think), where I have gone to travel to Qeynos but for the most part, the song was not remembered, and Sea was my favorite song due to all the times sitting and waiting for the boat to go to Freeport, trading languages or stopping off at the island to get nuts for Trumpy's quest.

But damn, I heard the melody and I just fell in love. I did hate all the other bullshit going on in the song, all the arpeggios and burying the chords, so when I moved the midi into Reaper and started to clean it up, oh man, it was definitely a song I wanted to do, even if I couldn't do it the justice I feel it deserves. So I started to work on the song; rebuilding the chords from scratch, laying down all the parts...when I hit my first real snag; put together, the beginning was just off. The lead did not work with the rhythm at all, and really this hasn't been a problem before, but sure enough, the intonation of the main guitar I use was off, so any high lead playing would clash with anything played in the lower registry. I had to use a guitar that not only that I'm not used to playing, but I've only used it once for a song, being my entry for Kain month, but again, that was overdrive, not clean, so getting a good clean sound out of it was a challenge since I wasn't used to it and then, of course, it's intonation was off too, but not as bad, hence why the beginning still sounds fucking off (to me, at least).

Then, on December 16th, I was hit with vertigo. Just constant bloody vomit for about 3 or 4 hours, followed by about 5 days of not even being able to sit up. This was....disheartening, to say the very, very fucking least. At this point, the song was "constructed" with shit scratch tracks to get the spacing down and setting up a solo section, but I figured, well, I'm fucked anyway, because I don't have anyone to collab with, and if I was, the news of me being incapacitated and not being able to do much would have been, well super shitty. So, I was glad that I didn't really commit to anything. The only thing that was keeping any kind of hope alive was the added week, although I thought the deadline was January 4th and not January 2nd, so I'm super glad I double checked that on New Year's and spent 6-8 hours frantically mixing the fucking thing but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

About a week after the vertigo attack, I was able to work on it again. Luckily, none of the parts were particularly hard to perform, so I was able to re-record and make something serviceable. I still couldn't go to my guitar lessons and get feedback there, which was pretty frustrating. 

I still didn't have anyone to collab with, but, I figured I would just ask my dad if he would do something for it, mainly, the solo. He's been playing guitar for a long time and he does one man band shows and shit. He's the reason I started playing guitar in the first place. We were on a camping trip somewhere and everyone was just so excited because he would bring his black acoustic beater guitar along and just entertained everyone for hours on end, singing song after song and making up stuff along the way. 

Unfortunately, that want to be an entertainer was short lived with me, as my skills are pathetic and coupled with all my depressions and anxieties and all the other baggage, music became something for just me. I didn't really learn songs anymore to play for others and I don't play around for others either. I'm way too self conscious to be the type of person and entertainer that my father and brother are.

Sorry, straying a bit here, ANYWAYS, BACK AT CHRISTMAS, everyone is leaving and I still hadn't asked him. He's about to leave but my sister needed something from their house so he was going to come back and I figured that would be the ideal time, especially with less people around. He comes back, drops off...something I can't remember, and I finally get the courage to ask him if he wanted to do a part for the song.

"Sure."

No questions about or anything, all my worrying for basically nothing but shit, I have so much to do before he comes over and lays down his part. I get home that night, quickly throw together the solo section and send it off with the chords and info and the fact that I wanted it clean and not overdriven. He spent a few days fiddling with it, and in that time I had to re-record again to make, at least the solo section, mostly finished for when he came over. Luckily (hahahaha fuck me) I was still fucking sick and dizzy so couldn't do anything else, but of course, my depression got in the way and I worked on it less than I should have. 

Thursday rolls around and dad comes on over for dinner and to lay the track down. From the first moment I heard it I just couldn't stop smiling. Not only do I not have the skill to do pretty much anything of that, but my brain wouldn't have even fathomed that type of solo anyways. After a few practice runs and about maybe 5 minutes of recording and the solo was done. Some tweaks were needed and he brought his guitar with him, which threw another variable to deal with, but luckily, his guitar was way easier to mix for me or more likely, I just got fucking lucky with it.

The sad thing about all of this is that this might be the last song he records for. Next week, he goes under the knife to repair his hand; the tendons have been getting shorter and shorter over the years, and even though my father is a doctor, he's incredibly stubborn, and put off surgery because functionality is still there, but now, it's gotten pretty bad. He contemplated leaving them as they were and just enjoyed the time he had left playing guitar and tennis and all the other things hands do but I'm glad he changed his mind. It would be incredibly sad to never hear him play again. He's having one hand done first, and if it goes well, he'll have the other one done later. If they fuck up his right hand, at least the fingers most effected aren't necessary for guitar picking and perhaps even tennis, although grip strength would be diminished, which I think is a smart decision. I'm just glad he's going to get it fixed and I hope it actually works. 

So, I thank my father for being on my track and simultaneously apologize for the lack of quality in the song. I feel like I let him down, even though once it was finished, I sent it to him and he said it sounded great and wanted to send it to his brother (with strict instructions not to do that until after the 6th because that's the rules =D) so I don't know. 

I also want to thank this community for being a place where I feel a tad comfortable sharing my music with, among a slew of other things (hi depression !) even though during listening parties I have a panic attack and have to leave the room when my entry comes up. I'm working on it, but thank you, nonetheless. 

Hopefully 2018 brings more good times and great music (hopefully some of that involving me as well). Keep being awesome, fellow Shizzies. 

#3 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

Okay. To be frank, I didn't expect to score THAT low. Slightly above average? Holy crap. Even Brandon Sills' cool bassline didn't help. Pehraps it was the fact that it was a straight cover... or maybe the ubiquitous "DoD guitar tone"? No idea. As for the ALT, I came up with this cover thing when I realized I hadn't played video games in a long time. So I recruited a friend of mine from my town who happened to play the bass a little. I already had the bulk of the track done when he came over to record some bass. It didn't take too many takes to get it done for the bass in the song turned out quite simple. I showed him my "balala-inventions" (ukulaika, balalasitar). Probably the only time those instruments ever got played since the SotN month. xD Oh, and the violin is still collecting dust. :\ Gotta practice. Now, it's Brevity Month so I think I'ma switch gears a little to make something cool.

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#4 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

So, I figured a few words about my song would be in order:

What I originally wanted to do was a racing game medley (and later I was shocked to find out we got 0 racing game covers). This medley was supposed to have a storyline, something like kid races karts, grows up, races big races, wins the championship race, victory music plays and everyone's happy. The only problem was.... racing games are kinda overdone. Also, that felt too similar to Bike Kid. So I went with something completely different - futbol!

This medley was supposed to convey the emotion of a big futbol match - everyone's having fun before the match, the first half starts slow but energetic, then all hell breaks loose in the 2nd half, a goal is scored in the last minute, victory music plays and everyone's happy. I immediately asked Sixto if he'd be willing to do some guitar and he agreed, but we were both skeptical whether there's enough time to do the whole thing I had in mind.

I managed to get most of the arrangement and my guitar/keys recordings done before Christmas, and I sent that to Sixto so he can record his parts (he did all the lead guitars in the 3:43 - 5:45 section). The only problem was, I had to go away for about a week around that time and I only got back home on New Year's eve, with still the whole bassline and also the entire ending left to record. And that same day, I got the flu. I somehow managed to do a few bass takes the next day, spliced them together and just went with it (that's why the bass solo is so shitty, sorry). I also did a rushed version of the ending, but it was better than nothing. I was super happy that I made 95% of what I originally envisioned.

Here are the sources I used:

youtu.be/Hq3FkRAFPzE + youtu.be/fR1J4qGdOfc -> joke intro
youtu.be/KVBKlAjSM_E -> the "everyone is happy" intro part
youtu.be/CC69AbVCr2s -> first half of the match, arranged to sound like T-Square's Megalith
youtu.be/WTJSt4wP2ME -> halftime song (this was the Coca-Cola commercial song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup)
youtu.be/WIUUajkWicI -> second half of the match
youtu.be/upju3X8wgF8 -> victory celebrations (also featuring a small "We Are The Champions" reference near the end)

I also have to add that despite the low number of entries, everyone brought their motherfucking A-game, and I definitely didn't expect we'd win (especially over LRS, their entry kicked major ass). This is my first win since Fresh Month all the way back in April 2016 (almost 2 years), and once again I'd like to thank everyone who voted! I'll most likely make a revised version of the song with a better bass solo and with better mixing, so keep an eye out for that. :)

#5 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

It's going pretty good, however because of the style I chose, the time limit makes the arranging process actually more difficult. Can't seem to fit my idea into less than 60 seconds.

PS: Could someone pin this thread?

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#6 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

I don't think any of my previous brevity month ideas fit into 60 seconds originally. First thing I always tried was slightly increasing the tempo.

Next, try to avoid any sort of repetition, even if it's in the source. Like, if you have two bars of almost the exact same thing, cut it down to one.

Also if you have any long hanging notes without a beat to back it, lower the duration of that measure. Without the beat, nobody will notice a random 2/4 bar.

You easily shave off a good 10-15 seconds with those "tricks".

#7 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

When I did Kim's Shop I just pumped the bpm from like 128 to 212

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#8 Sagnewshreds

Sagnewshreds

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

My trick for my only brevity month entry was to do grindcore because grindcore songs are always short as fuck anyway

#9 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:24 AM

It's going pretty good, however because of the style I chose, the time limit makes the arranging process actually more difficult. Can't seem to fit my idea into less than 60 seconds.

Just cut the track at 0:59, regardless of where it is musically. Then say it was a deliberate artistic choice to have that note cut mid-ringing.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#10 jvincion

jvincion

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Just cut the track at 0:59, regardless of where it is musically. Then say it was a deliberate artistic choice to have that note cut mid-ringing.

I took part in a project like that once upon a time...

I'm thinking about entering this month.  I'm not sure if I'll have time (even for a short piece!), but I'll see what I can do.

kodiak-shizz-sig.jpg

Home | Bandcamp | Spotify | Instagram | SoundCloud | Concatenation Records (Shizzie Music!)

#11 Katamari

Katamari

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:31 AM

Hello it is 5:30 AM and I have finished the structure for my entry

<tibone> 120bpm in 4/4
<tibone> PROG AS FUCK

sfWV4OE.png1306536299140-dumpfm-DurkFunk-katamari_pkirby_roll_by_spazmaster6000-d6bt3h3.gif0Pn6mR8.png
PC Game Metal

#12 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,532 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

I started learning my song at 8:30pm and now at 1:57am it's recorded, mixed and submitted. And that fact will show, I'm sure, but at least I got it done!

Photobucket sucks but you can still listen to and download my stupid album!

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#13 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

Already submitted, yesterday, actually.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#14 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Also SUBMIT'D! When's the Twitch party?

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#15 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

What would work better for people, today sometime between 6pm and 10pm EST or tomorrow before 7pm EST?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, brevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users