23 replies to this topic

#1 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

It's looking like I'm going to be relocating to Pittsburgh, PA sometime in mid/late July.  The main reason is that California is just too damn expensive.  I've been living month to month working full time + music stuff, and am not getting any closer to my goals, so it's time.  As much as there's some bitterness about not being able to stay in the area I grew up in due to rising costs, I'm looking forward to the new start and new area.  

So, why make my own narcissistic post about this?  Well, for a few reasons.  

(1) For anyone living in Pittsburgh (or PA in general), I'd love to hear about the city more.  The decision has already been made (barring extreme circumstances) but I still want to get as much info as I can.

(2) If you live on the west coast and have been planning on seeing a Viking Guitar performance, there's only one more scheduled before I leave.  May 3 in San Jose at 418 S Market Street, San Jose (https://www.facebook...boozeanimerock/).  If you can, please come and help send me off.  :-)

(3) Money's going to be a little tight between now and finishing the move.  I'm not one to ask for handouts, so instead, to help raise funds for the move and transition period, I've made all of the Viking Guitar stuff on bandcamp (except Legion and Warpath) PAY WHAT YOU WANT.  If you want to pick up anything and toss a few bucks my way, I'd certainly appreciate it.  http://vikingguitar.bandcamp.com

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

Professional Audio Services - http://vikingguitar.com

#2 Spookmeister C

Spookmeister C

Scary Spooky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,334 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

Good to hear! The East will welcome you.

Get ready to wear more clothes than you ever have before.

giphy.gif

#3 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

VG, i've shuttled back and forth from western and eastern pa for the past 15 years, and I've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and the surrounding 'burbs. My wife grew up there. I can probably give you some more information when I have a bit more time but i'll post a few tidbits.

I'll actually be there this weekend!

in short, its a real nice city and i like it there. lot of stuff to do.

- the people are generally all pretty big sports fans and there's a significantly large blue collar portion of the population.

- it's a very catholic area.

- you should say you like heinz even if you don't, people get very upset if you don't support the home corporation.

- the public transportation kinda sucks, unfortunately.

- there seems to be a pretty big divide between the younger folks and the local yinzers from what i could tell.

- there's some decent smaller and bigger music venues in the area, but i've only ever been to one.

- a country music concert caused the worst trash cleanup on record in the city a few years back.

- soda is called pop there. you'll hear a lot of "Y'inz" as well.

- go see a game at PNC Park even if you aren't a huge fan of baseball. it's one of the best stadiums in america and has a beautiful view of the city.

- the city is confusing as hell to navigate at times because it is not on a sensical grid.

- the strip district is pretty cool. i recommend.

- the waterfront area is crazy busy and hellish at night. i would avoid.

- the city always gets pigeonholed as being full of chain restaurants and big fat guys huffing down burgers, but they have a very diverse food culture from what i have found. you do have that chain burgers and beers joints, but i've had some good meals from unique places there as well.

- local beer is iron city, it sucks.

- housing prices in the city itself are not great but probably way better than what you were seeing in CA. the suburbs around the city are pretty damn cheap but usually are a lot of older homes. it can also be very hilly.

- there's a pinball/vg expo there that has hosted some shizz relevant bands in the past few years, Replay FX: https://replayfx.org/. It's in July, so you might move there in time to catch it.

music face, like a dying frankenstein, his jaw becomes dislodged....see the profile of him, the profile of shame

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

That is all good info.  FWIW public transportation out here sucks too, so I'm not too worried about that.  Re: sports/catholicism/etc, it's going to be an adjustment, but I'm open to that.  :-)  I do like Heinz.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#5 thecreeper

thecreeper

• Members
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

looks like if you make it by july 26th, you can catch bit brigade and steel samurai (and others) there at least!

https://replayfx.org/music/

music face, like a dying frankenstein, his jaw becomes dislodged....see the profile of him, the profile of shame

#6 thecreeper

thecreeper

• Members
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

also just curious, is the move to pittsburgh job related or family related in any way? do you have an area there you are looking at living in?

#7 VikingGuitar

VikingGuitar

Ka and Ka-Tet

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Nope.  I need to leave the Bay Area, and Pittsburgh seems like a decent option.  I've also got some friends there, which will help the transition.

Good lord, the fucking

LogoNew-Ping_small2.png

#8 nEwT

nEwT

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

Godspeed! I'm also moving to the other side of the country (from Villahermosa to Guadalajara) sometime in April (as soon as I get my severance / settlement / whatever you people call it payment) for economic reasons so I can totally relate with your struggle. New exciting horizons await us!
Spoiler

Kain, only you can mention your mother's death and your new awesome MMX NES rom hack in one post... so condolences :( and high five :o

There's a big difference between a show being good and a shoe being enjoyable.

#9 thecreeper

thecreeper

• Members
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

Nope.  I need to leave the Bay Area, and Pittsburgh seems like a decent option.  I've also got some friends there, which will help the transition.

i was hoping you would say you did have friends in the area, that will certainly help.

also, prepare for cold. it will be cold in the winter, with a lot of snow.

#10 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

As someone who did something similar (from a small town to São Paulo) around 1 year ago, i say go for it.

the adaptation will take a couple of months, but overall it's worth the risk.

Good luck, dude!

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#11 Shoe

Shoe

Official Shizz Naruto Fanscribe

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

East coast east coast!

I have nothing to offer other than a large contingent of originally-from-Pittsburgh friends that are diehard Steelers/Pens fans always rantings about sports to me. Never actually been to the city. 

More seriously, I'll ask around about what they think - they're in love with the place - but from what I hear there's a very large push towards the typical city modernizations these days - lots of foodie/hipster restaurants and bars, etc. 

Wizwars, about the bush hogging. Just wet and part my man. Give that bush the Moses treatment and head for the Promised Land.

Whaaaaaaaaat.

#12 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

dWL1ymL.png

EDIT:

Villahermosa to Guadalajara

Holy shit, that's quite a hike.

banner.png

#13 Kevin Gnartinez

Kevin Gnartinez

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I'm gonna miss seeing yr bearded face every once in a while at events up North, but good for you, dude! 

the artist formerly known as wizwars.

now in the night we met.

#14 minorfffanatic1

minorfffanatic1

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Seconding the following, lifelong residence about halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie.  Granted, I've only ever gone to Pittsburgh proper a number of times about equal to my age.

- the people are generally all pretty big sports fans and there's a significantly large blue collar portion of the population.

- there's some decent smaller and bigger music venues in the area, but i've only ever been to one.

- a country music concert caused the worst trash cleanup on record in the city a few years back.

- soda is called pop there. you'll hear a lot of "Y'inz" (as opposed to "Y'all") as well.

- go see a game at PNC Park even if you aren't a huge fan of baseball. it's one of the best stadiums in america and has a beautiful view of the city.

- the city is confusing as hell to navigate at times because it is not on a sensical grid.

- the strip district is pretty cool. i recommend.

- the city always gets pigeonholed as being full of chain restaurants and big fat guys huffing down burgers, but they have a very diverse food culture from what i have found. you do have that chain burgers and beers joints, but i've had some good meals from unique places there as well.

it can also be very hilly.

- also, prepare for cold. it will be cold in the winter, with a lot of snow.

Stupid public computers...

#15 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

I for one welcome our new Viking overlords

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users