• 691 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Results are up!

#1 Shipluss - Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse - Clockwork - good -0.15
#2 newip - Pillars of Eternity - Farmer and the Fox - good -0.37
#3 Creepue - Mighty Final Fight - Troublesome Opponent - good -0.4
#4 SGBSteve - Persona 5 - Boss Talks Shit: Boss Gets Hit - above average +0.36
#5 M-H - Final Fantasy 14 - Turnt in the Heavens - above average +0.24
#6 Careless Juja, Brandon Strader - Diablo - Wirt's Other Leg - above average +0.14
#7 Matt Thompson - Castlevania: Bloodlines - Psalms of Retribution - above average -0.18
#8 Czybone - Mega Man 2 - Bubble Lead Master - above average -0.43
#9 GamBit - Jurassic Park [NES] - Welcome to Jurassic Park - average +0.32
#10 Lucas Guimaraes, Kirill Polyanskiy - Kirby's Return to Dream Land - Mahoroa's Ambition - below average -0.04
Voters: 12

Congrats to Shipluss on the win, and big thanks to everyone who entered, voted and reviewed!

Next month is...

Intro Month!

Music from opening movies, title screens, introductions and loading screens.

Deadline for entering is July 27th, 2PM EDT. Send your entries to dodsongs@gmail.com.

#2 Juja

Juja

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Was there a chat log for this month? I'm curious what people were talking about during the 20 minute length of our song.

#3 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

So the results turned out very close to my expectations. I knew me and tibone wouldn't get a high spot on the list with an arrangement that unique. But now that it's all revealed, I should say: I tried to bullshit you a bit in the reviews. Frankly, I'm really happy on how our track turned out. The stems I received were kinda difficult to work with and mix in right. Also, considering how experimental the stylistic quality of the song was, I think we did a decent job after all.

Here's another thing I'd like to share. After writing the reviews, I listened to the Diablo track again and I thought... "Hey! This sounds sooo much like a Brandon Strader/Careless Juja song." And I was right! I think the drum sound and live accordion gave it all away. ;p

Anyway, HUGE CONGRATS to Shipluss on that piano piece! Hope to hear you in Russian Attack someday again.

And almost forgot, I'd like to give a special shoutout to Nicolas Daoust for adding his sweet vocals to my Drifting Away arrangement. I really really appreciate it. I think we kicked ass!

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#4 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Haha, yeah my orchestra sounds are dated af. I didn't even expect to do as well as #5. Congrats to the winners!

Question about intro month: a lot of intros are shorter than two minutes. How will this affect--if at all--DOD's classic rule set?

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#5 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

Haha, yeah my orchestra sounds are dated af. I didn't even expect to do as well as #5. Congrats to the winners!

Question about intro month: a lot of intros are shorter than two minutes. How will this affect--if at all--DOD's classic rule set?

Just solo for the rest of the time you need.

Note: not speaking in an official capacity.

I miss 'intros' being a thing.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#6 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

whoever does the entire Gaiares intro gets an automatic first-place vote from me

#7 Ivan Hakštok

Ivan Hakštok

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

Was there a chat log for this month? I'm curious what people were talking about during the 20 minute length of our song.

http://dwellingofdue.../18-06-Free.log

#8 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

my entry is just going to be 2 minutes of me screaming "SEEEEEEEGGGGAAAAAA" as loud as humanly possible into my phone.

Sanic deserves only the best intro.

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://tibone.bandcamp.com

#9 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

my entry is just going to be 2 minutes of me screaming "SEEEEEEEGGGGAAAAAA" as loud as humanly possible into my phone.

Sanic deserves only the best intro.

You can paulstretch it.

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#10 SGBsteve

SGBsteve

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

Yooooooooooo!!!

Sorry I meant to get on here sooner but have been busy with crap... Anyway! It's great to be back on DoD and The Shizz and I'm glad I finally got a chance to submit something under the new name. Its great to see that people liked what I did since I'm planning to start a solo channel on Youtube called Steven Strums and this will be one of the first tracks I upload on there so I've been having small cases of self-doubt about how it would be received. So thanks for the kind comments and the voting and all that.

I think it was Czyszy in the other thread who commented on the "shaker" and asked if the other drums were recorded from the guitar... Yessir! All the drums/percussion you hear were samples I recorded from my guitar.

I think the inspiration came from the Super Guitar Bros medley of Castlevania 3 where people commented on how much they liked the scratching sounds that I was doing. It got me thinking how it would be cool to make a drum kit entirely of samples that I recorded myself. Here's an example of what they sound like in their dry state:

https://www.instagra.../p/BiUwp1OH3GY/

https://www.instagra.../p/BiUxPD2HTDv/

So yeah, that "shaker" sound is actually supposed to be like a "hi-hat" but either way, it's just a bunch of samples of me scratching the side of the guitar. 

Anyway, thanks again, guys. It's good to be back. Maybe I'll submit again sometime in the near future.

Steve from Super Guitar Bros for rocking out with us during the Bosses. Welcome to THESHIZZ family, you totally did your rite of passage by being a part of that beautiful mess

-Acoustic video game jams!!
Super Guitar Bros Youtube Playlist

#11 Czyszy

Czyszy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

za54HYK.jpg

cncdacs.png?raw=1

#12 streifig

streifig

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:20 AM

I submitted a song to Chipwin now I can look at the other truss of hay.

Also, can I have that album already? :))

marshallart.bandcamp.com
chiptune/post-rock, orange guitar, Russian-Canadian

soundcloud.com/lovebotsmsk
indie pop, orange guitar, Russian

#13 minorfffanatic1

minorfffanatic1

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

If it's allowed I have suggestion:  Kirby Super Star's Revenge of Metaknight story (or go crazy and do all of them)(or go REALLY crazy and do all of them all layered on top of each other/all at once)

Stupid public computers...

#14 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

Aw yeah, I am on this shit like shit on a shit sandwich conspicuously placed among a fancy breakfast buffet!  :D

"I'm nuclear, I'm wild..." - Gandhi

#15 Funbuns

Funbuns

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

...And early submit'd, cause I'm gonna be relatively busy the next few days and my memory sucks and I'm horribly disorganized and I don't trust myself to remember I even did this come deadline.

"I'm nuclear, I'm wild..." - Gandhi

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dod, dwelling of duels, intro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users