Photo

Capcom vs Konami: The Ultimate Battle (NES-only thread)

71 replies to this topic

#31 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,669 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

I'd give it to Capcom for the SNES, but I think that in terms of point-to-point-bang-for-buckness Konami takes the NES. Greater variety with overall quality within said variety. I initially wanted to say Capcom but I don't think that's true after some thought. I also initially went to Mega Man vs Castlevania, but they're not particularly comparable, if you ask me. Yeah, they're both platformers, but the approach, the atmosphere, and the mechanics are different enough that they each have tremendous strengths and weaknesses that make them distinct from one another.

This got me thinking about Mega Man vs. Castlevania, and I feel like each series produced two great games on the NES, despite the fact that Mega Man had twice as many tries at it.

Also they both peaked at three, but one company kind of knew when to say when (though MM 4-6 are certainly playable games).

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#32 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

Natsume vs Sunsoft! Let's hear some more besides Jace!

tumblr_l0w3iatftU1qzylvvo1_400.gifPopful_Mail_(Sega_CD)_34.gif

#33 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,669 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

Without even looking up Natsume's catalog, Natsume. Honestly Sunsoft did a great job with their music, but did they deliver us any life-changing games for the NES? Blaster Master or Batman were the best of the bunch, and neither was an amazing game, all things considered. Natsume gave us Shatterhand.

Kfine, I looked up Natsume's NES games... they barely did anything! But Shatterhand is still a better game than any Sunsoft game, so... draw?

i cross'd a barrier into SCOOPvilLe yesterday and dunked with the best jammers and fresh dip ballers roundabout through an awesome bomb dunk party.

#34 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Without even looking up Natsume's catalog, Natsume. Honestly Sunsoft did a great job with their music, but did they deliver us any life-changing games for the NES? Blaster Master or Batman were the best of the bunch, and neither was an amazing game, all things considered. Natsume gave us Shatterhand.

Kfine, I looked up Natsume's NES games... they barely did anything! But Shatterhand is still a better game than any Sunsoft game, so... draw?

Don't forget Journey to Silius tho!

#35 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

^oof

#36 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

Sunsoft did Gimmick! as well. Sunsoft has a more diverse library than Natsume, whose games are a rockin' good time, but not particularly diverse from one another.

I'd give it to Capcom for the SNES, but I think that in terms of point-to-point-bang-for-buckness Konami takes the NES. Greater variety with overall quality within said variety. I initially wanted to say Capcom but I don't think that's true after some thought. I also initially went to Mega Man vs Castlevania, but they're not particularly comparable, if you ask me. Yeah, they're both platformers, but the approach, the atmosphere, and the mechanics are different enough that they each have tremendous strengths and weaknesses that make them distinct from one another.

This got me thinking about Mega Man vs. Castlevania, and I feel like each series produced two great games on the NES, despite the fact that Mega Man had twice as many tries at it.

Also they both peaked at three, but one company kind of knew when to say when (though MM 4-6 are certainly playable games).

MM4 and CV2 are my favorites in their respective series, so we're gonna have to fight, now.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#37 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,414 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

Sunsoft did Gimmick! as well.

Sunsoft wins.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#38 Tina

Tina

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

If it's purely an NES battle, Sunsoft. If it were a SNES/16-bit battle, Sunsoft can go to hell.

#39 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Blaster Master or Batman were the best of the bunch, and neither was an amazing game

You DARE. All the other games can piss off, I pick Sunsoft on Blaster Master alone.

#40 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

Where poll.

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#41 Mike456

Mike456

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

If it's purely an NES battle, Sunsoft. If it were a SNES/16-bit battle, Sunsoft can go to hell.

Yeah I'm keeping it strictly NES for simplicity's sake

#42 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:05 AM

Give poll

banner.png

#43 Eric Dude

Eric Dude

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 17,669 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

MM4 and CV2 are my favorites in their respective series, so we're gonna have to fight, now.

Man, if you're saying that MM4 is better than MM3, or that CV2 is better than CV3, then I don't know what to tell you. I'd just have to sit down with you and play those games, and see if you can tell me that with a straight face.

#44 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

Man, if you're saying that MM4 is better than MM3, or that CV2 is better than CV3, then I don't know what to tell you. I'd just have to sit down with you and play those games, and see if you can tell me that with a straight face.

Naw, I'm saying that MM4 and CV2 ARE great games, not that they're better than their respective predecessor/successor.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#45 Smeg

Smeg

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

I gotta side Team Daemon in this fight. MM3 is unpolished, has the wackest boss loop (one 5-boss loop + one 3-boss loop instead of a single 8-boss loop?), and I fuckin' hate the Doc/Dark Robot stages. CV2 features exploration-based gameplay (my favorite thing) that we wouldn't see again in the series till Symphony. CV3 was fun but simplistic by comparison.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users