69 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

I just really like thinking creatively about games and daydreaming game dev stuff. I was originally going to title this "Fix a Bad Game", but I didn't want to restrict it like that. These don't have to be bad games, just games with at least one small flaw, but, it would apply to kusogē more than anything.

Ultima [NES]

• Leveling up gives each character 2 in each attribute, and then only give 20 points during character creation, 10 max in any one attribute. Most of what's wrong with this game could be fixed by this. How it is now, leveling up just gives you more hitpoints, so everyone just amassed exp and golde while it's still easy at level 1. Doing this would give a real incentive to level up early, and then Ambrosia/the shrines would give you the top 25% of benefit of attributes.
  • Weapons could all be redone. None of it really makes sense, in that it never makes sense to not have ranged weapons if you can get bow or silver bow. Maybe ranged weapons should only be made as usable items (in that, you're only buying ammo)?
  • Mystic Weapon/Armor can't be used outside the final castle.
  • Classes are a fucking irredeemable mess. There are only so many ways to cut the pie between each class. Maybe Druids get up to 65 MP, but then also regen faster? Maybe Illusionists can summon creatures during fights? Maybe Alchemists can spend golde/exp/MP/whatever to make consumables you usually get at shops (torches/gems/keys/etc.) and could Cure at low levels. All this would be a lot of work.

Zelda 2 [NES]

• I love the game as-is, and I would actually make it harder! I consider the jump-slash you can used on enemies with a shield kind of an exploit, so the fix would be to remove the ability to do that.

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest [NES]

Deadly Towers [NES]

• This game is as garbage as it gets and there's no way out! (Somewhat kidding...I do think there is potential, but I need to take more time to think about it...).

Do any of you have any more ideas?

banner.png

#2 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

Well for starters, how about those crappy springboard sections in Pac-Land? Never could get the timing right

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

EVERY FOREIGN FOOD IS A LIE.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

Follow me @LowPursuit and @LeftTurnDanger

YouTube *** Twitch *** Tumblr *** Everywhere else

#3 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Well for starters, how about those crappy springboard sections in Pac-Land? Never could get the timing right

Which version of that game?

Holy shit I don't think I've ever seen it played....christ, this looks dire.

banner.png

#4 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

Arcade but I believe any ports have the same style control scheme

tumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.giftumblr_p03hxsmbUn1vezrvso1_250.gif

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

Click here to download Clash Of The Champions 1 & 2! Voted the best text-based fighting game series of the 90's by no one.

“well, if you get kidnapped and sent down a river for real, yeah, they probably aren’t gonna give you any trail mix.”

#5 Disposable Hero

Disposable Hero

Dimensional Shambling Troll / True Dew Casual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Master of Magic [DOS-1994]

This high fantasy turn-based strategy was a favorite of mine back in the mid 90s. The maps were huge, great exploration, tech trees were fun and individualized across 14 races, cool spells. It had a lot going for it. What I hated about it was a spell called the Spell of Mastery. Any wizard could cast it once they had researched enough of their spell books. Upon cast completion, the casting wizard wins the game. Similar to constructing a wonder in Age of Empires, if you're familiar with that series. Anyway, it was annoying mostly due to how quickly the enemies could cast this spell. Maps are generated with enemy AI controlling many of the cities already, and since buildings in cities contribute to how fast you can research spells, they were at an inherent advantage from the get-go. Having alternate win conditions is fine, but how quickly an opposing wizard had access to this spell was the problem. An opposing wizard is not defeated until all of their cities have been captured. Upon capturing their capital city, they begin to cast the spell of return until they have no other city to resurrect in. So if they already knew the Spell of Mastery, you were forced to follow this wizard through every town as they res. Kinda cool in a way, but not the way I'd like to play every time. The fix would be to have a toggle for access to this spell, or change the research requirement so that enemy AI do not have access to it until much later in the game.

Comix Zone [Genesis-1995]

My grandmother bought this game and Aladdin (on Genesis, the best version of course) for me in Christmas '95. The colorful and unique presentation coupled with the rocking grundge soundtrack enthralled my adolescent soul. I was hooked almost immediately. BUT. This game is fucking punishing. It took many playthroughs to know what items to keep for specific enemies in certain panels (else you would have to restart) or to know the fewest environmental items to destroy (since you took damage from hitting anything besides an enemy). There are several gotcha moments where, if you failed to keep the correct item, you would have to beat down an iron door, for example. Wasting half your life bar before the final boss. Kinda shitty, oh well. I will just continue and try again. GOTCHA. No traditional continues in this game. If you die too early in the game, it's gg right there. 1 life. If you die in the last couple of stages, you get one (1) more attempt. Please, git gud, or git fucked. I would install a more traditional lives/continue system and likely change some of the tick damage values you take from beating on physical objects. I like the idea of that, but it was kinda bunk because you were forced to do so in shitty spots throughout the game to progress.

Aladdin [Genesis-1993]

Uncontroversial opinion - this is the definitive version of this game. Very easy game, even on hard mode. The controls were kinda floaty at times and there were a couple of mechanics that were crap here and there. Most notably during the escape stage after you grabbed the lamp in the Cave of Wonders. There were ledges across lava pits that could be grabbed onto from the bottom, for some reason. At times, you would randomly grab on to them mid jump and then fall to your death. Lava bubbles were also unavoidable, and getting hit between jumps slowed your momentum and it often resulted in a death. Strike these two things from the records.

As an aside, I remember renting Deadly Towers a lot as a kid. The RPG aspect of the game was what kept pulling me in, but it was so bad. If you ever were to make a rom hack of it Ken Oh, I would most definitely play it or help test it.

Put some South in yer mouth.

#6 pingosimon

pingosimon

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,727 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

DUCKTALES (NES)
Changelog v1.01
Added a 16th note to the intro of Moon Theme. (Intro now follows the same 4/4 time signature as the rest of the song)

#7 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

DUCKTALES (NES)
Changelog v1.01
Added a 16th note to the intro of Moon Theme. (Intro now follows the same 4/4 time signature as the rest of the song)

9ac.jpg

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#8 mooniniteG

mooniniteG

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

Zelda 2 - Make the final dungeon not suck.

T-Square_Bulbasaur_Bowie_zps3zwvagzu.jpg

#9 Valence

Valence

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Ultima II - PC

Stats raise as you level up instead of having to pay money to some fuckhead at Hotel California to RANDOMLY increase a stat, causing you to savescum/repeat to be able to progress. 

The 7th Saga - SNES

Throw it into a garbage bin and set it on fire.

#10 Tina

Tina

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about that Castlevania 2 hack. I mean, it did get a crappy official localization, and there's a lot of shit that's stupidly obtuse and random, but I do like the idea of Dracula's presence impacting the locals, to the point that the closer you get to him, the more they've lost their minds. Story-wise, the lies are fitting. It's kind of similar to how Ganon's got spies among the populace in Zelda 2.

Anyway, before I'd even get to thinking about the finer details of games, I wish I could magically fix the basics. Like, any game of at least a moderate length that didn't have passwords or saves needs one or the other. And any game that got a crappy localization deserves a good one, whether that means fixing the script or fixing however they screwed up the difficulty balance or gameplay, like in Bayou Billy and Silhouette Mirage.

#11 Robby V

Robby V

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

DUCKTALES (NES)
Changelog v1.01

QO7flaz.jpg

eKawlATs.jpg

#12 M-H

M-H

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

Every game that has non-skippable cutscenes/cinematics - implement ability to skip said cutscenes/cinematics. 

BRAINMEAT (and POWER METAL CHIPS) - My original metal and chiptune albums on Bandcamp (all free/name your price)
SoundCloud
Operation British - My Gundam chiptune album @ Anime Remix

"You know BornInCrimson, guys, right? The guy who hosts, like, Dwelling of Duels? I was in there with him, and Master Hatchet, that guy kicks ass. He has like these metal arrangements. But anyways. I'm trying to say...uh...I was there with these guys, and uh..."

#13 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Zelda 2 just needs to eliminate the road to Gannon. Alternatively, raise the level cap

#14 urvile

urvile

Sleeveless

• Members
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

I so spawn-cheat through that part

THIS PCB IS NOT KILLING

#15 MegaMatt

MegaMatt

Thunder "Unicorn"

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Earthworm Jim (various consoles) - either cut out the tube race entirety, or have the timer count down much slower. That part is too stressful. Also, do something about the resolution on the SNES version so it doesn't look horizontally stretched.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - speed up the text crawl, and allow you to skip through text boxes if you want. They learned this lesson for future entries, at least. Apply this entry to any game with painfully slow, pace-breaking text

Hooky fuck I picked a great taco Bell. The woman at the front of the line is painstakingly asking every price, she just ordered a cheesy horror crunch with just cheese and sorcery nothing else, Questor with just beef nothing else, one soft Teddi with 3x cheese, double sour Satan, nothing else. Quivering now the man behind her orders a taxi BVSc to Yusuf Khan, two tweaks with dignity Leuven and no beef??? And a cheesy fissure crunch with extra extra Chertsey and chickenpox nothing else. Fucking hell people it's taco vein not your last meal on earth

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users