Photo

Rygarmania game list collection + discussion & appreciation

catch the fever catch the excitment rygar mania collectathon battling perspective shift pain moving deep gaming

49 replies to this topic

#31 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Riverroid

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#32 angry_polar_bear

angry_polar_bear

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Super Paper Mario has platforming, perspective shifts (2D/3D), real time action combat, NPCs up the wazoo and RPG elements.

#33 Beef-Clef

Beef-Clef

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

I remember this incredible rygar remix on VGmix1/2 that featured this dickstack of a lead instrument, gotta find it someday

amTr0fm.png

#34 Magicalyardgnome

Magicalyardgnome

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:24 PM

+1 for Castleoid... :(

I dislike the terms Castleoid and rygarmania because neither one flows off the tongue well or sounds good.

I like Castleoid or Castletroid because it uses half of one video game franchise's name and half of the other, it's more balanced than Metroid-vania. It also sounds like it could be an early 80s arcade game.

Metroid-vania doesn't sound good IMO.

Posted Image

#35 Guy In Rubber Suit

Guy In Rubber Suit

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

The -vania suffix has always irked me because the SotN formula is essentially:

Game series X combines series Y with element Z.
SotN takes the Super Metroid design and adds RPG elements, then slaps a Castlevania story on it. The only Vania contribution is the story, setting, characters; basically just the lore. So if you take all the following games that did Metroid + RPG elements but no CV lore, how can you call them Metroid-vanias when there is no -vania element left?

So, consider instead: River City Ransom was a much earlier game that added RPG elements to a traditionally action genre (permanent stat-building, collecting money to buy upgrades in a shop), so we should really retire the misleading M-V term in favor of Riverroid.

That logic can easily apply to the prefix Metroid.

Really? Are you telling me that, prior to 1986, the Metroid series had firmly established itself as a straightforward level-based pure action game with several titles under its belt? And only then did it decide to go in a completely different direction by copying another game's formula? Please tell me more

You're breaking down the game to its base elements, which you strip away the setting and characters of Metroid you just get a generic platform exploration game. Castlevania doesn't have to be a progenitor in order to have influence. The -vania contributions are the lite RPG elements and a bit more emphasis on story.

Metroid may take the bulk of it (and since when did genres have percentage breakdowns?) but it evokes something else than when you mention Symphony of the Night.

#36 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:53 AM

metroid-vania is like a music genre description that is sort of a terrible term that just seemed to persist but i know exactly what i'm getting into when i see it. so it's effective and serves its purpose.

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#37 tibone

tibone

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

seriously people don't like the term metroid-vania, it makes perfect sense.

It's non-linear, 2d exploration with rpg elements.

simple as that.

Re-invent the term wont change what the "genre" is.

Also, i still call games DoomClones, so, what do i know?

Can you Jam with the Console Cowboys in the Cyberspace ?

http://ko-fi.com/tibone/

#38 DiscountBabyJam Mike

DiscountBabyJam Mike

Jean Clause Van Salome

• Members
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:52 AM

Rygarmania is a different genre than metroid-shameia. This has been stated multiple times and is the very genesis of this thread. Do I need to give you aberrant posters electroshock therapy?

A rygarmania is a level beyond a metroid-lameia. What are elements of "role playing" without playing a role? Having your avatar speak or listen to NPCs reinforces this in-game role that is different from our out-of-game life - communication is a core facet of the social structure of humanity.

If you guys just want to be dogs in a life (game) who learn tricks (level up), eat food (eat food), bite and kill small animals and insects (fight enemies) and run around the yard and take dumps (exploration and platforming) WITHOUT barking at your owners (talking to NPCs) or being able to look in the mirror and recognize yourself (changing perspective), then make your own thread memorializing forum user OptimusFunk's famous speculation, "Wouldn't it be great if we were all dogs?"

rushing into a Success nest

giphy.gif

Goblinkiss.com

#39 matsunami

matsunami

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

Metroid-vania is the "Djent" of videogame genres.

UAV3t1p.png

#40 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

oooo "platforming" may become one of my new standard terms for taking a shit.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#41 norg

norg

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

"platforming" is just like "planking" except somebody is jumping on you while planking and hitting monsters with things

norgstoof.jpg  charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif
SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK SPOOK SP�K SPOUQUE SPEUK

never gtyrst a bigg btut and a smiel
that irl is POUISONNNNNNNN
-bel gbig edvo

INSUFFICIENT NORG

#42 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:55 PM

Let me throw some controversy into this thread.

The original Rygar arcade game was not a Rygarmania, but a basic sidescroller. Rygar the NES game was released in April 1987 in Japan, which had the overworld and backtracking.

However! One month before in March, 1987 the fantastic game Goonies II was released in Japan. This game required item collection to access areas, backtracking, a perspective shift when you entered doors and some of the finest NPC interactions of all time.

362608_v1.jpg

So, Rygar was actually one of the first Gooniemania games released on the NES. Truly a genre that nevar says die.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

#43 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:02 PM

now that i've been writing about it, one game did occur to me that almost falls into the rygar formula of perspective shifts and NPC interactions: goonies on NES.

#44 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:05 PM

Goonies 2!!!

#45 BornInCrimson

BornInCrimson

King of The Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

Obviously great minds also support my conclusion.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jyqfuta.gif

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catch the fever, catch the excitment, rygar, mania, collectathon, battling, perspective shift, pain, moving, deep gaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users