Photo

Magfest XVII - Super Magfest:OutNumbered!

464 replies to this topic

#451 jmr

jmr

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

Dan, you pretty much summed up my feelings about MAGFest 2018 playing with Marshall Art. I’m super happy and proud of the show we put on, and wouldn’t have done it any differently, but it meant that that MAG was heavily skewed towards work on the work/fun scale. It was a huge factor in my decision to not take on anything this year. I even turned down a visuals gig. This was my “vacation” MAGFest, and I wouldn’t have done this year any differently either.

#452 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,983 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

I'm really fucking bad at this

dan, jeez, ask for a hand next time.

Srsly, mang, wtf? I totally would have sat at your merch booth screaming "FUCK YOU, BUY DANIMAL CANNON SHIT!" at anyone that walked by.

#453 Bano

Bano

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

Srsly, mang, wtf? I totally would have sat at your merch booth screaming "FUCK YOU, BUY DANIMAL CANNON SHIT!" at anyone that walked by.

Ahh yes, that superliminal messaging!

#454 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,853 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

Ahh yes, that superliminal messaging!

I am an overwhelmingly obnoxious dude when it comes to promoting other people's stuff, so I will gladly pay you Tuesday for the opportunity to throw buttons at passerby today.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

TAKE IT TO THE ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD THREAD, IDIOT

#455 Sindra

Sindra

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

Dan, did you ask for any help from your artist liaison? Some of our tasks are to help artists with load-in/out, helping transport merch and stuff to their vendor area, and various other odd-end requests within our power even if it's just being an extra set of hands. That would be especially useful for you who is a single artist.

For future reference to any Super artists/performers: if you have a liaison assigned to you, use them if you need them.

dx-ghost_copy_bigger.jpg

I'm imagining Ellis writing the script to this at a computer, and every time he gets to the end of a line about religion being bad he smacks his fedora to tip it, making the sounds of a typewriter being reset.

Original Sound Version . com  ||  Castellum Sanguis LXVIII: Castlevania X68000 Tribute Album

#456 Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:53 AM

Here are the cosplay/event (DoD listening party!) pictures that Catherine took: https://www.facebook...30139916&type=3

We've got a few concert pics too that we're currently editing. SOON™.

#457 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

- thanks to everyone for continuing to bring the noize

- thanks to chromelodeon, which was 2019 life affirming in a "i think i might die because im too fat and old now but this is still good and i still like all these people and seeing the band together again makes me want to cry" sort of way

- thanks to all the pizza buyers that saved lives

- thanks to all my friends who handled transportation when they didn't have to

- sorry for being slightly lame this year, gaylord was more overwhelming than normal and offsite was a nice quiet respite

- sorry i bit you mig

- sorry i shook you like a ragdoll daemon

- sorry for shoe in general

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#458 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,853 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

- sorry i shook you like a ragdoll daemon

You can shake me all night long, baby.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

#459 thecreeper

thecreeper

Frank Beer, Defender of the Polyverse

• Members
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

i feel like that would be terrible for your neck and back but you're the boss

I broke down and watched Showgirls. Can anyone help me.

#460 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:50 AM

At this point The Shizz IRL and MAGFest (as a focal point for that IRL expression and not its sole execution) are inextricable and intrinsic parts of my life. A true family. Professionally and personally, this was probably my most triumphant Mag...ever, and that's really saying something. I didn't feel the same mania I normally feel in terms of packing in quality time with everyone; not that I wasn't interested (I will forever be interested in quality time with all of you) but that my life in 2018 actually facilitated significant quality time with most of you, multiple times in many cases. 

Meeting and performing for Tateishi--The Creator, as we came to call him privately--was a triumph of such epic proportions that I basically crumbled under the imposter syndrome. I couldn't process how that happened in my lifetime until we got home, and then once I did I basically had a panic attack. The only other time that has happened to me was the day I got off the phone with Tim Green to schedule the Double Ferrari recording and Paypal'd him a deposit; again, an event of celestially positive proportions that, for some reason that I have yet to unpack, I just could not allow myself to accept and enjoy.

I Abused my Privilege™ (i.e. performer badge) to plant myself right up front and center for Chromelodeon's set about 10 minutes before they actually opened doors, and the grand result of this malfeasance was basically a "this is your life" of Shizzies pouring in around me in the ensuing moments after they began letting people into the room. Highly reminiscent of Minibosses at Mag 9 (notable absences included Sherv, matsu, jiggs...certainly others). The sound was powerful-weak at first, like whisper-quiet. But it improved by the third song or so. Highlights: Spook grabbing me by the shoulders and saying "3, 2, 1, GO!" right at the Big Groove moment/drop toward the beginning of Polygon Sun and the two of us just tearing ass all over the place; instigating The Wave during Aluminum; seeing Soloby's kids dance their asses off to their papa's jams for the first time ever.

But the real defining moment of this MAGFest came as soon as Triangular/the set ended, and I heard Robby calling my name from a few feet away. I turned, and he fell into my arms sobbing heavily, as though a member of his family or one of us had just died. I held him close and hard and I told him that I loved him, over and over. He told me that he loved me too. The kinship of this community is not just hyperbole or conjecture at this point. I would be grateful to have the opportunity to console any of you in a moment of passion, grief, or something beyond words. And I know the feeling is mutual.

There was a moment at the very end of the festival when I saw Danimal in a common area in the Gaylord and we exchanged too-brief words of friendship. He picked up his bags and looked at me somewhat forlornly and said, "take care of yourself, man." And I, certainly disheveled, kind of winced at the ground and shook my head and said, "...no." But I didn't mean it defiantly, or with any actual intent to inflict not-care on myself. It was more like...like, I know that I have not aged well the past couple of years, and in the past five or six months in particular. Being on tour constantly has been awesome in ways but I have frankly not had enough: water, sleep, or basic nutrition in my life. Living in a van is hard. And it feels like it's catching up with me. But mentally and emotionally I am actually doing much better than I was two or three years ago. My "no" to Danimal was more like, "I wish you didn't feel like you had to say that to me, and I am embarrassed, and it's complicated."

All this to say: best Gaylord MAGFest ever, and I always miss you all when I am not with you, forever.

#461 Arm Cannon

Arm Cannon

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Aww Jace man - in a lot of ways I’m jealous of your passionate demeanor and way of living. There’s a lot to love my man.

The closest I come to that is being in the Shizz katamari pit during the Chromo set. Getting chills just thinking about Polygon Sun and a horde of likeminded peeps bouncing in unison.

#462 Daemon9623

Daemon9623

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 18,853 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Just to echo Jace's sentiment, the Chromo set is probably one of the most life-affirming moments I've experienced. Just surrounded by love that radiated out from every one of us into an explosion of positivity and gratitude.

The music I make.

Simpsons Shizzposting

#463 Ken Oh

Ken Oh

Cuck Buddy GroGro

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:09 AM

All this to say: best Gaylord MAGFest ever, and I always miss you all when I am not with you, forever.

As I've come to realize, the best MAGFest is whatever one you're at.

banner.png

#464 Jace

Jace

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

I don't always feel that way, I certainly did not have that experience some Gaylord years, especially one in particular three or four years ago when I felt like I spent the whole time lost in the Gaylord trying and failing to find my friends.

#465 Trohnics!

Trohnics!

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

We Are Groot Magfest

Sy3yrKe.png?3

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users